• 6(current)
[RELEASE] Advanced Wake On Lan (WOL) Addon - Wake up a remote computer/server
Hi, new user here. This addon works perfect and wakes my server when I'm on my own network at home over wifi. When I go out of town and attempt to wake my server, it won't respond. At the moment, I'm connected to my neighbors wifi internet connection and trying to wake my server with no response. As soon as I connect to my own wifi, it responds. I have entered the mac of the server trying colons and hyphens. I have entered the ip of the server and not 192.168.1.X or the host name. When I launch AWOL, I get a message stating "Server is awake" and it shows the ip I assigned although it is not awake. I think the magic packet makes it to the router but doesn't continue to direct it specifically to the mac address of the server? This server is just a windows 7 pc. I have enabled 'respond to ping' setting in my router. I see the ports are forwarded for http using 80. Fwiw, I also have Plexbmc installed with it's wol feature enabled. It too works perfect at home but not remote. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
I'm new to XBMC (actually coming back to it from MediaPortal now that the PVR seems to work well) and I'm trying to get WOL to invoke whenever I select the LiveTV menu option. I've been Googling quite a bit, but haven't found anything a novice can digest.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can do this? Do I need to modify the skin somewhere?
(2012-12-15, 17:48)brazen1 Wrote: Hi, new user here. This addon works perfect and wakes my server when I'm on my own network at home over wifi. When I go out of town and attempt to wake my server, it won't respond. At the moment, I'm connected to my neighbors wifi internet connection and trying to wake my server with no response. As soon as I connect to my own wifi, it responds. I have entered the mac of the server trying colons and hyphens. I have entered the ip of the server and not 192.168.1.X or the host name. When I launch AWOL, I get a message stating "Server is awake" and it shows the ip I assigned although it is not awake. I think the magic packet makes it to the router but doesn't continue to direct it specifically to the mac address of the server? This server is just a windows 7 pc. I have enabled 'respond to ping' setting in my router. I see the ports are forwarded for http using 80. Fwiw, I also have Plexbmc installed with it's wol feature enabled. It too works perfect at home but not remote. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

this is not really possible with this addon. WOL normally only works inside the LAN you are in. WOL sends a simple packet, which contains the MAC-address of the target computer to the broadcast-address of the current network. if a network card, which indeed has this MAC-address, receives it, it will know to wake up its host. if you submit the signal on your neighbour's network, it will have no effect, because it is only broadcasted inside this local network, and there is no network-card with the targeted MAC-address present.

btw: the IP-address does not have any function for a WOL signal (since it is broadcasted, and the network card of a sleeping host does not even have a IP-address yet). the IP you set in the AWOL-addon-settings is only to check the hostup-status via ping after sending the signal.

however, there may be other means to wake your PC from outside your network. if your router allowes this, it may be possible to access the interface of your router from the internet, and wake a host from there (which again will work, because the router is on the same network as the targeted host). another possiblility would be to send a magic packet (= WOL packet) to your router (via your external IP) and configure the router to either broadcast these packets, or forward the packet to the targeted host. either way the packet gets to its destination and wakes it up. there are tools floating around the internet, which allows the sending of WOL-signals over the internet, targetting a specific IP and port.

(2012-12-29, 02:37)gculley Wrote: I'm new to XBMC (actually coming back to it from MediaPortal now that the PVR seems to work well) and I'm trying to get WOL to invoke whenever I select the LiveTV menu option. I've been Googling quite a bit, but haven't found anything a novice can digest.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can do this? Do I need to modify the skin somewhere?
using my WOL-addon (be sure to configure it first in the addon settings), you can launch a command (e.g. open PVR window) right after sending the WOL signal. you can accomplish this e.g. by adding the following line to your favourites.xml (situated in your XBMC userdata folder):

<favourite name="MyPVR+WOL">RunScript(&quot;script.advanced.wol&quot;,ActivateWindow(MyPVR),False)</favourite>

now you should be able to see and launch this command in the favourites inside XBMC. the result should be the WOL-addon sending the signal and checking for its success, and at the same time PVR getting launched. (if you want to delay the launching of PVR to until the server is actually awake, you can set the last parameter to "True" instead of "False".)

now, if you want to get this behaviour into a main menu item (e.g. "LiveTV"), you could either mod the skin you are using, or use a skin, which allows the configuration of custom main menu items. i'm using "Aeon Nox" for this, which works very well. in its skin-specific settings you can disable the standard "LiveTV" main menu item, and then add a custom main menu item, link it to the "MyPVR+WOL" favourite you created, and name it "LiveTV" (or anything you like).

you could even add custom submenu items to it (Recordings, Timer, etc.), but you would have to perform the same procedure by first creating a favourite-entry like above, but with "ActivateWindow(MyPVR)" substituted with the correct command to e.g. go directly go to the recordings-screen.
Thanks Mandark, I'll look into that skin. I'm currently using just the default skin (Confluence) to try things out. I created a favorite that works well, but I thought that it would be wise to have it automated for family use.
This is a great plugin. It wakes my Win7 server up perfectly. I'm not sure if I'm using the Continuous WOL-packets feature correctly. It doesn't seem to keep the server on. I have the server set to sleep after 2 hours. My delay between packets is 30 seconds. After 2 hours, the server shuts down, but is re-awakened after the 30 second window.

Am I doing something wrong, or is keeping the computer awake via magic packets not supported by Win7?

Thanks!
(2012-12-30, 11:59)spoonjab Wrote: This is a great plugin. It wakes my Win7 server up perfectly. I'm not sure if I'm using the Continuous WOL-packets feature correctly. It doesn't seem to keep the server on. I have the server set to sleep after 2 hours. My delay between packets is 30 seconds. After 2 hours, the server shuts down, but is re-awakened after the 30 second window.

Am I doing something wrong, or is keeping the computer awake via magic packets not supported by Win7?

Thanks!

afaik WOL is generally only used to wake up a host, not to keep it alive, so i doubt that win7 is supporting this out-of-the-box. instead you would need a client-tool running on your server, which keeps it awake, as long as WOL signals are contiuously coming in or in better words shuts the server down, when no more WOL-packets are coming in. i can't really point you to such a tool, but i can suggest, how i am solving this: i'm using a tool called SmartPower, which is installed on the server and can be configured, to keep the server awake as long as another host with a specific IP is awake, which is of course the IP of computer running XBMC. this way the server is woken up via WOL from XBMC, and shuts itself down, after the XBMC-host has gone offline. this might be the same you want to achieve. this way you wouldn't need the continuous WOL signals anymore.
he guys,

I would like to know how this add-on does the "hostup-check"? I'd like to know because I am looking for a linux-app for my Amahi Home Server that tells me if the server is UP and if not wakes up the server over LAN. There is a windows client, but I have swapped my windows for Ubuntu now.

hope you can help me.
XBMC on HTPC with Ubuntu 12.04 connected to Amahi Home Server 750GB+1TB storage.
XBMC is probably the best thing that ever happened to me...!!! You people Rock!!!

HTPC: MB: Asus P5N7A-VM DDR: 2 x 1 GB Kingston CPU: Intel Core2DUO E8400 @ 3,0 GHz Coller: Scythe Shuriken
(2013-01-01, 15:51)jochenz Wrote: he guys,

I would like to know how this add-on does the "hostup-check"? I'd like to know because I am looking for a linux-app for my Amahi Home Server that tells me if the server is UP and if not wakes up the server over LAN. There is a windows client, but I have swapped my windows for Ubuntu now.

hope you can help me.

the hostup-check is done simply by pinging the remote host. it uses this python code to achieve this. i don't know a linux-app, that achieves the same, but i think creating a shell-script should be quite easy, that sends a command-line-ping, evaluates it's return and then sends WOL-signals.
Hi,

Ive been using this plugin for a while and its been working great! Its on my Apple TV 2 and I have it to auto load when I open XBMC so it wakes up my server. However after doing some changes and trying some different things out I cant get it to work again.

In the logs I have found this.

Code:
NOTICE: script.advanced.wol: Error No.: 1 / Error Msg.: Operation not permitted - Note that ICMP messages can only be sent from processes running as root.
NOTICE: script.advanced.wol: Closing WOL script

So it seems like its not actually ever sending the magic packet? If I start XBMC with the server already on it all works fine and I get the little "waking" notification also.
(2013-01-16, 17:18)IssacBinary Wrote: Hi,

Ive been using this plugin for a while and its been working great! Its on my Apple TV 2 and I have it to auto load when I open XBMC so it wakes up my server. However after doing some changes and trying some different things out I cant get it to work again.

In the logs I have found this.

Code:
NOTICE: script.advanced.wol: Error No.: 1 / Error Msg.: Operation not permitted - Note that ICMP messages can only be sent from processes running as root.
NOTICE: script.advanced.wol: Closing WOL script

So it seems like its not actually ever sending the magic packet? If I start XBMC with the server already on it all works fine and I get the little "waking" notification also.

unfortunately i don't have an Apple TV 2 to reproduce this. but i guess the error message is caused by the ping-hostup-check after sending the magic packet. in this case, the server should be woken up successfully - despite the error message. is this the case?

for the hostup-check to work, the user running XBMC must have root / administrator rights. if you can't or don't want to change this, you can disable the host-up check via ping completely in the addon's advanced settings. this should also get rid of the error message.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately the server is NOT being woken. If it was then there wouldn't be any issue really. Im only assuming the error in the log that I have posted is related to the problem. Its the only thing in there thats related to the WOL plugin.

Have you tried sending a magic packet to your server from another system to see if it's able to wake up?
Yes I have and that side of things is working perfectly. Can wake from my phone and PC, WOL is working. Just the script doesnt seem to be....
Have you double-checked the MAC address specified in the AWOL settings to be sure it is correct for your server?

I believe the AWOL add-on uses XBMC's built-in WakeOnLan function, so you can test this by adding the following to your favourites.xml (wiki) file on your ATV2:
Code:
<favourite name="WOL server">WakeOnLan(xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx)</favourite>
Restart XBMC and select this from your Favourites menu and see if your ATV2 can wakeup your server.
The MAC address is 100% correct. I have also tried using "-" instead of ":". Neither worked.

I will try the favourite option and see if that works and report back.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Advanced Wake On Lan (WOL) Addon - Wake up a remote computer/server1