Revo 1600, XBMC, Huludesktop, & Netflix
First, I hope I'm hitting the right forum. I've been running XBMC Live on my Revo 1600 for a long time and it's been great. However, I've always disliked having to have a Roku sitting beside it to watch Hulu & Netflix (I know there's a plugin for Hulu). So, after reading that there was hardware accelerated support in Win7 I thought I'd try to rebuild my Revo with Win7.

1) As expected XBMC worked great. I've not seen any difference in playback compared to ubuntu. I think the interface is a bit slower but I can live with that.

2) Huludesktop works fine. I had to install Flashplayer but after that it works fine.

3) Netflix is terrible. Anything in HD stutters and audio is almost always out of sync. Even SD content ends up out of sync over time. I've tried using the web interface & Windows Media Center. Both have the same playback problems.

So, my question is whether anyone here that is running this configuration has been able to get Netflix to work.

I suspect that either a) Silverlight is just too much for the Revo or b) I need to tweak something with the LE ION video driver, or c) I need to tweak win7 to strip out as much overhead as I can.

BTW, I have 3 gig or RAM in my REVO and I have the video memory set to 512mb.

Any advice anyone can share would be greatly appreciated.
a
Kirky99 Wrote:a

um, Kirky, are you OK?
I'm fine just answering questions...
rcrh Wrote:um, Kirky, are you OK?

a) Silverlight is just too much for the Revo

Wink
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
maddog808 Wrote:a) Silverlight is just too much for the Revo

Wink

That was my fear. Too bad. Too too bad. I was really hoping that it would use the hardware acceleration of the ION chip. XBMC can use the ION, HuluDesktop seems to use the ION. Like I said, too bad.

I may just think about going back to XBMC Live (and save my Win7 licence), sell the Revo 1600 and buy an aTV2. That way I can get everything I want in one box.
Kirky99 Wrote:I'm fine just answering questions...

Good. I was worried something happened mid-answer. I'd feel terrible is "a..." was the start of a cry for help! "a burglar has entered my home! call 911"

Laugh
rcrh Wrote:That was my fear. Too bad. Too too bad. I was really hoping that it would use the hardware acceleration of the ION chip. XBMC can use the ION, HuluDesktop seems to use the ION. Like I said, too bad.

I may just think about going back to XBMC Live (and save my Win7 licence), sell the Revo 1600 and buy an aTV2. That way I can get everything I want in one box.

Going from a Revo 1600 to Apple TV2 would be an upgrade for Netflix, but I think you'll be disappointed in the performance for XBMC.

Just my 2 cents.
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
maddog808 Wrote:Going from a Revo 1600 to Apple TV2 would be an upgrade for Netflix, but I think you'll be disappointed in the performance for XBMC.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm playing with an aTV right now and while playback is perfect the XBMC interface is notably laggy. I'm hoping that when Eden is finalized someone will turn out a 720p/aTV optimized skin. aTV/XBMC seems to be the only way (short of a new HTPC) I can cover ALL of my punch list (local media, netflix, hulu, pandora, & NHLGCL). So far I've looked at six streaming boxes plus my Revo 1600 (sony smb, roku, aTV, WD smb, LG smb, Logitech Revue) and none of them can give me the five media sources I need.

The hunt continues.

BTW, do you know if the problem with silverlight is the processor or a lack of ION LE drives? I hear there's a driver that turns the ION LE into a proper ION. I wonder if it would make a difference.
I've heard that Silverlight itself is the problem... Silverlight has problems, much the same way Flash had problems. Adobe made changes that leveraged the capabilities of the ION chipset and Microsot needs to do the same with Silverlight.

I wouldn't hold your breath however...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Revo 1600, XBMC, Huludesktop, & Netflix0