[RELEASE] Pakee (Video) Addon - Browse Pakistani media from around the web

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Votes - 3.73 Average
pakee Offline
Thumbs Up  [RELEASE] Pakee (Video) Addon - Browse Pakistani media from around the web
Introducing Pakee XBMC addon to browse a portal of Pakistani media from around the web.

Features
  • Watch live channel streams (desi, sports, english, cartoons)
  • Browse TV channels, TV shows, movies, actors, fashion, photography, sports, YouTube channels from Pakistan
  • Browse latest scores and player/team profiles, news and photos from espncricinfo.com
  • Browse musicians' albums, songs, Facebook albums, news and YouTube channels
  • Browse historical events and personalities from storyofpakistan.com and their youtube search results
  • Allows users to play video, music or image content individually or in "play all in list" mode
  • Allows users to pull any YouTube users playlists, uploaded/favorite videos and playing in "play all in list" mode
  • Supports sorting content by title, duration, uploaded date, view count
  • Pulls content from variety of sources: YouTube, Facebook, music/movie/fashion websites and blogs
  • Tested on Eden Beta 2 on Mac, Windows and iPad
  • Mobile/tablet/desktop web app (beta) available here
  • Boxee app is available via custom repository. Details here
  • Plex app available here
  • Note: this addon requires you to be running XBMC 11.0 Eden (available here) as well as having the latest version of the YouTube and Justin.Tv video addons installed

Screenshots available here

Download: the plugin is now part of the official XBMC addon repository so you can download within XBMC via:
Videos->Add-ons->Get More..->Pakee->Install

Project home is here (includes option to donate via PayPal)

First XBMC plugin so feedback and requests are more than welcome.

Thanks!

Changelog is available here

Newly added content (updated 5/18):
  • Fox sports (under Live TV Channels->Fox Sports) from hitsports.net
  • Sky Sports (under Live TV Channels->UK Sports) from mypremium.tv
  • ARY musik channel and added Hum/ARY drama episodes (under TV Shows)
  • BBC Urdu video/audio clips (under News headlines->BBC Urdu)
  • Story of Pakistan (Historical timelines and video footage) (under Culture/History)
  • Jinnah of Pakistan and Dr Iqbal Society of Pakistan youtube channels (under Culture/History)
  • Karachi Jashn-e-Adab youtube channel (under Culture/History)
  • Art gallery facebook photo album (under Photography->Dastaan art gallery)
  • The living picture youtube channel (under Comedy)
  • Library of hundreds of cartoons from carttoniverse1 youtube channel (under Live channels->Cartoon/Animations)
(This post was last modified: 2012-06-24 08:18 by pakee.)
find quote
pakee Offline
Question to the experts: are the instructions for the [zip pull] option for submitting to the official addon repository still valid? http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Off...repository

If so, what is the correct email address to send the request to? Can't seem to find it...
Also, is there an "approval process" to get an addon into the official repository?

Thanks in advance...

[EDIT]
Never mind, once I started to get the forum emails, it makes more sense now
(This post was last modified: 2012-01-27 22:54 by pakee.)
find quote
dtwizzy Offline
Can't get anything to work.
I'm getting "Playback failed: false" for every movie, show, news, etc...I tried.
find quote
pakee Offline
Sorry should have posted this when I discovered it yesterday. The plugin uses the xbmc youtube plugin to play video which has been broken since yesterday:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=79487&page=183

Once they checkin a fix for that, and your XBMC installation updates to the fixed version, you will be able to play the video content through the Pakee plugin as well
find quote
pakee Offline
Update: both addons are working now.
find quote
ramo Offline
Hi,

The video-add on looks nice. I want to try it out, but cant seem to find it in Videos->Add-ons->Get More..->
[edit] It seems to be there now. Must be some connectivity problem as the download is taking lots of time.

Im running XBMC 11.0 Eden beta 2 on windows home server 2008. The XBMC is not blocked by firewall. I can see about 104 items (on 8 pages), but no Pakee. Any idea of why thats the case?

Thanks..
(This post was last modified: 2012-02-05 22:46 by ramo.)
find quote
ramo Offline
Hi again,

Well, after XBMC updated, I finally was able to get Pakee. It seems to run smoothly. Im having some difficulties to find the tv-channels, as viewable on the screenshots and description of the add-on.

Any idea?
find quote
pakee Offline
On the first page there are a bunch of categories. Please select "TV Shows". From there you can select the option to browse TV Shows by name or channel.

"TV shows by channel" provides a list of channels from were you can drill down into their episodes.To see the latest episodes from a channel, select a channel and then "(Latest epsiodes)"

"TV Shows by name" provides an alphabetized list of all shows from where you can drill down into their episodes. The first entry is "(Latest epsiodes)" using which you can view latest episodes across all channels

If there is a specific show you were looking for which you couldn't find,post a request and if its available,it can be added.

Btw for some of the screenshots,I changed the XBMC view to "Thumbnail". To do that press the left arrow key to expose the menu to change the viewmode.

[EDIT] - Live channel streams have also been added on the main page since this was posted
(This post was last modified: 2012-02-25 08:44 by pakee.)
find quote
yacir Offline
pakee Wrote:Introducing Pakee XBMC addon to browse a portal of Pakistani media from around the web.

Thanks!

Thanks for this great add-on.
i have one question though. is there a way to change the Default Sorting behavior? for example, i would like to have sorting by TITLE in every list be default.

Thanking you in advance.
find quote
pakee Offline
Ok I added a plugin setting where you can set a default sort order to the title. Before I check it in, could you test it out and let me know if it looks ok?

Download the v1.0.2 zip from here and unzip under %AppData%\xbmc\addons (on windows)

Note since XBMC keeps a record of which which directories you have manually changed the view for, in order to see the changes, I had to delete my video mode cache under %AppData%\xbmc\userdata\Database\ViewModes4.db (if you do this, please make a backup before deleting the original)

You can access the plugin settings by goingto Videos->addons->right clicking on Pakee->addon settings and change the value

Try it out and let me know
find quote
yacir Offline
pakee Wrote:Ok I added a plugin setting where you can set a default sort order to the title. Before I check it in, could you test it out and let me know if it looks ok?

Download the v1.0.2 zip from here and unzip under %AppData%\xbmc\addons (on windows)

Note since XBMC keeps a record of which which directories you have manually changed the view for, in order to see the changes, I had to delete my video mode cache under %AppData%\xbmc\userdata\Database\ViewModes4.db (if you do this, please make a backup before deleting the original)

You can access the plugin settings by goingto Videos->addons->right clicking on Pakee->addon settings and change the value

Try it out and let me know

Thanks for the quick reply.
i tried it, but not able to see the effect. I thnk, it is still sorting based on the date descending.

btw, i uninstalled it first and then re-installed this new version .. so xbmc cache is not the issue i guess.
(This post was last modified: 2012-02-09 01:06 by yacir.)
find quote
pakee Offline
Couple of things to check:
1. What is the version of pakee you have installed?
Check by going to Videos->addons->this list shows the name of each plugin and its version. It should be 1.0.2. If not, you have not installed the new version correctly

2. Can you check your log (under %AppData%\XBMC\xbmc.log) and look for the word "setting_sort_order" and paste the line?

If you have changed the setting correctly, it should read
"setting_sort_order is Title"

If this sortorder is showing as "Default", then you did not change the setting correctly

3. If both of the above are correct, then I would suggest following the below steps:
-close XBMC
-delete folder %AppData%\XBMC\cache
-rename file %AppData%\xbmc\userdata\Database\ViewModes4.db to OLDViewModes4.db
-reopen XBMC
-before launching the pakee addon, check the add-on settings to ensure the default sort is set to 'Title' (by right clicking on the addon name)
-launch the pakee addon

By following the above I am able to see the changed sort order

Note: while testing, I realized that changing the sort order does not affect the order of the "Play all" functionality (it always seems to create the playlist in the default order). Will need to fgure out if there is a way of doing playlists that respects the users view sort order
find quote
yacir Offline
pakee Wrote:Couple of things to check:
1. What is the version of pakee you have installed?
Check by going to Videos->addons->this list shows the name of each plugin and its version. It should be 1.0.2. If not, you have not installed the new version correctly

2. Can you check your log (under %AppData%\XBMC\xbmc.log) and look for the word "setting_sort_order" and paste the line?

If you have changed the setting correctly, it should read
"setting_sort_order is Title"

If this sortorder is showing as "Default", then you did not change the setting correctly

3. If both of the above are correct, then I would suggest following the below steps:
-close XBMC
-delete folder %AppData%\XBMC\cache
-rename file %AppData%\xbmc\userdata\Database\ViewModes4.db to OLDViewModes4.db
-reopen XBMC
-before launching the pakee addon, check the add-on settings to ensure the default sort is set to 'Title' (by right clicking on the addon name)
-launch the pakee addon

By following the above I am able to see the changed sort order

Note: while testing, I realized that changing the sort order does not affect the order of the "Play all" functionality (it always seems to create the playlist in the default order). Will need to fgure out if there is a way of doing playlists that respects the users view sort order

hi there,
answers are as below

1- yes, the version is 1.0.2

2- i do not have anything in the LOG file with "setting_sort_order"
The Add-On setting is for sure correct.

3- I do not have file with the name "ViewModes4.db" in the said folder. i have "ViewModes.db".
find quote
pakee Offline
Thats odd..could you please turn on debugging and send the log?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log...UI_Setting
find quote
yacir Offline
pakee Wrote:Thats odd..could you please turn on debugging and send the log?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log...UI_Setting

here is the log. I changed the settings for default sorting to use TITLE, and then list out one of the Drama folder. (you should see both in log)

http://pastebin.com/TeAWfUXk
find quote