Need help with deciding...NAS or HTPC?
Hi guys. I currently have a somewhat complicated setup at home. I'm hoping that someone can help me decide whether to buy a NAS or build a PC. I've posted two images, showing the current setup and the planned setup.

My main goal is to get rid of a high power consumption pc and replace it with a on-demand 24/7 Media Server/NAS/Low Power Consuming PC. that simply allows me to share movies/media across the network and onto 2 players downstairs.

Current Layout:-

Proposed Layout:-
Where's XBMC?

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
XBMC is on the first picture (the old setup). Of course i'm not sure how my new setup is going to look, so advice would be appreciated.
Oops didn't saw it.
I would go for the low power PC that can be build for much less then a decent NAS.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
If you want some flexibility, I'd say go for a DIY media server + some low power HTPC which you suspend when not in use. Iirc, my XS35GT consumes something around 5w when suspended, which is pretty much as low as you can get. Eskro has more choices in his guides and lists.

Here's some inspiration for server/NAS build to start with, any silent build has a base in low power consumption.
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
what matters to me, is how many watts it uses when in use as i'll have it on 24/7...suspended maybe 4-5hrs.

I want a device which uses around 25ish watts max when on.
XS35GT (and a few others) are peak 25'ish.
how much does xs35gt cost?
Seeing you've got a "Virgin modem" I assume you're British, so about £200 plus HDD/SSD (or just run it from a USB stick) plus a stick of RAM.

Power consumption: Circa 20w idle, ca 30w full load.

And check this thread for more on roughly the same topic.
Lol, yes mate, i'm british (god save the queen, blah blah, lol).

Thats brilliant. I'm gonna look into this. If you can recommend more, then that would be brilliant. Also any suggestions on how to best layout the network? SEE PICS ABOVE!
noobnas Wrote:If you can recommend more, then that would be brilliant.

You can do your own digging here, plus the stickies. Apple TV2 comes to mind, but there are others.

noobnas Wrote:Also any suggestions on how to best layout the network? SEE PICS ABOVE!

Looks alright to me, although the modem and FW seem to have disappeared Wink

Going for cabled LAN is good and an insurance against unpleasant surprises. If you have the possibility (cabling and space wise), you may want to consider putting the NAS/server somewhere out of the way/out of hearing distance and after initial config, just control it via Remote desktop (probably takes Win 7 pro) or the GUI of some NAS freeware such as Unraid or FreeNAS. If you're the average consumer, Windows is probably the easy way to go, unless you feel slightly brave and have the time to learn new stuff.

Just remember that once set up, a NAS/mediaserver can be placed anywhere (and no need for keyboard/monitor) where you have a LAN cable and properly configured be reached by all units on the network.
Surely Apple TV is limited software wise and streaming abilities? Can an apple tv be used as a NAS too? Or only as a media player? Would you choose Apple TV or WD TV Live?

NAS Noise - Not too bothered mate as i can't hear much, lol. But my idea was either to put it upstairs with my PC or downstairs in the lounge, making it closer distance-wise to a media player...hopefully that should keep transfer speeds higher due to less cabling.
noobnas Wrote:Surely Apple TV is limited software wise and streaming abilities? Can an apple tv be used as a NAS too? Or only as a media player? Would you choose Apple TV or WD TV Live?

NAS Noise - Not too bothered mate as i can't hear much, lol. But my idea was either to put it upstairs with my PC or downstairs in the lounge, making it closer distance-wise to a media player...hopefully that should keep transfer speeds higher due to less cabling.

ATV = mediaplayer only, but can supposedly run XBMC and Openelec (check the forums)
WDTV cannot run XBMC afaik

Transfer speeds shouldn't be much influenced within reasonable ranges (say up to 50 meters). I have my NAS server in the basement - at least 40 cable meters distance - and I get up to 350Mbit/s to and from. Being fully CAT6 it should technically be 1 Gbit/s, but I know that CAT6 is very sensitive to cable handling (bending degrees etc) and I think the difference is more due to that than distance.

Remember that full HD doesn't take more than max some 30Mbit/s (stable), so if I were you I'd put it upstairs (and or where the hub of your network is, i.e. modem and router/FW).
Just to be on the safe side, i'm gonna test it before doing the actual wiring, so that i don't regret it later, lol.

I'm waiting for my media pc to sell, (within the next couple of days). Whilst i'm waiting i need to decide what to get, i.e. NAS and players. For now, i've decided, to look for a NAS/PC and then look for one player, rather than two. I will for now use the ps3 to see how good it is.

NAS - I don't really want to pay more than £150 for the NAS/DIY PC as i already have the hdds needed. What do you think of AMD Fusion DIY PC's/Motherboards?

Media Player - ATV is limited, i.e by resolution, isn't it? Also do i need to convert all media to format of ATV?

I'm off to work now, but pls do keep replying...i'll be back later after 10pm tonight.

Thanks again for all your advice.
"NAS - I don't really want to pay more than £150 for the NAS/DIY PC"

Have a look at an HP proliant Microserver N40L.
Its a server that could be used as an extra XBMC player by chucking in a cheap graphics card.
Fits the budget with the cashback offer.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help with deciding...NAS or HTPC?0