[LIVE] Wii remote install tries to remove xbmc & xbmc-live?
Eden Beta 2

I am trying to setup my Wii remote using these commands...

sudo apt-get install xbmc-eventclients-commons
sudo apt-get install libcwiid
sudo apt-get install xbmc-eventclients-wiiremote

When I run "sudo apt-get install xbmc-eventclients-common", it is asking to remove xbmc & xbmc-live. I really don't want to screw anything up. Does anyone have any idea if this will complicate things? Below are the results of "sudo apt-get install xbmc-eventclients-commons".

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libplist1 libglew1.5 libpcrecpp0 python-bluez ttf-liberation python-qt3
python-sip libmikmod2 xbmc-bin libmicrohttpd5 libsdl-mixer1.2 libvdpau1
libyajl1 libva1 libqt3-mt librtmp0 libsdl-image1.2 libsmpeg0
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following extra packages will be installed:
xbmc-bin
The following packages will be REMOVED:
xbmc xbmc-live
The following NEW packages will be installed:
xbmc-eventclients-common
The following packages will be upgraded:
xbmc-bin
Which repo are you using to install Beta 2? If you're using the official unstable repo, you should be able to install xbmc-eventclients-common and xbmc-eventclients-wiiremote with a little bit of work. If you're using a non-official repo e.g. mario-sitz repo, then you may be looking at a more complicated setup.

What I would do is the following:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get --purge remove xbmc xbmc-bin xbmc-live
sudo apt-get install xbmc
This should remove your existing XBMC install and install the official version of Beta 2. After that you can work on the Wii remote eventclient as follows.
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc-eventclients-common
sudo xbmc-eventclients-wiiremote
Eventclients-common should install without issue. The Wii remote event client will probably fail due to an error about overwriting an existing documentation file. To fix that you can issue the following to force the Wii remote eventclient to install.
Code:
sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archive/xbmc[i]-[/i]eventclients-wiiremote<your-specific-architecture-here>.deb
Where <your-specific-architecture> can be different depending upon the base install. What you can do is hit the Tab key after xbmc-eventclients-wii and the filename for the .deb should autocomplete.

As I said, on the official unstable repo from Team XBMC, this works, but I've had issues with the Wiimote syncing and have had to abandon it for not. I have tried XBMCFreak's build (XBMCbuntu) with the mario-sitz nightly ppa and I'm noticing the same thing I saw with Eden Beta 1, i.e. when I go to install the eventclients, apt wants to uninstall XBMC itself. This is due a package conflict that the XBMC devs have fixed but seems unfixed on the unofficial repo.
Should read:
"sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/xbmc-eventclients-wiiremote<your-specific-architecture-here>.deb"

archives not archive.Cool
Why can't they just remove the man page for xbmc-wiiremote from xbmc-bin? This is really annoying and needs to be fixed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Wii remote install tries to remove xbmc & xbmc-live?0