My Newest HTPC Build Concept (comments and suggestions welcome)
I want to build a small box PC that will mount on the back of my tv.
This is my first Mini-ITX so i thought id ask others opinions.
It needs to play 1080P streams from my server.
Be able to flip through a massive library without hanging up or stuttering.
(even my current PC has moments when its challenged in this area but this may be due to the fact that i am not using an SDD and that im using he generic 32bit version of Open-Elec)
This will be an always on system most likely cause i dont fell like figuring out how to power it on and off with a remote and climbing behind my tv will be a PITA...sleep mode maybe.
Will this need more cooling?
ATM its 100% passive but a ball bearing fan or 2 couldn't make enough noise to matter if its needed.
Perhaps some of these parts dont work well together?

ASUS E35M1-I Fusion
$114.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3
$19.99

ASUS EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD3/V2(LP) GeForce 210 1GB
$34.99

M350 Universal Mini-ITX PC enclosure
$39.99

PicoPSU-90 + 80W Adapter Power Kit
$64.99

Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F60GB3A-BK 2.5" 60GB
$94.99

Backlit Media Center Remote with External USB IR Receiver
$22.99

Total $392.95 plus shipping

The video card i just thru in there cause i have one already i will be trying it without it before i install it.
The SDD is possibly bigger than i need cause this will be an open-elec build tho my local art and thumbs folder takes up about 7Gigs and i don't want to run out of space with addons and skin installs and what not so i thought i might as well go for something bigger than a 32gig and be safe for the foreseeable future.
Did i miss anything or does anyone have suggestions that could lower the cost without sacrificing power?
Not sure. These ITX builds always scare me. Will it be enough power. Not sure, hopefully someone has this build. Let us know after. Im interested
The case you want (m350) Doesn't have space to mount any pci or pci express cards (like the nvidia video card)
why dont u follow my htpc guide suggestion for SSD?
32gb:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...32GS25SSDR
64gb:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820220581

where's your PicoPSU powerbrick?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=119920
PatrickVogeli Wrote:The case you want (m350) Doesn't have space to mount any pci or pci express cards (like the nvidia video card)

that is a very good point.
i didnt really check for that i just found the cheapest case with a vesa mount ill have to look for another case.
ty
eskro Wrote:why dont u follow my htpc guide suggestion for SSD?

what is the advantage of
Patriot Torqx 2
over
Corsair Force Series 3?

aside from the obvious 4gigs worth of space?
near as i can tell from specs the corsair model has a faster interface (Sata III), it has a lower operating temp, power consumption difference is nominal and the corsair has better review ratings.

eskro Wrote:where's your PicoPSU powerbrick?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=119920
indeed i did forget the brick.
since you have a server and if you have a good wired network, this is what I did.... run openelec from a usb stick and put the ssd in your server and use path substitution to store thumbnails and such on there. (For openelec operation there isn't any speed difference from running it off a usb or an ssd)

I have multiple clients so this setup works great for me. In addition, if you ever go to a shared database you can install the mysql db on the ssd too.
I'm running a E35M1 in my bedroom HTPC. You shouldn't need another graphics card as the onboard 6310 should do everything you need.
I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate and Eden Beta 2 with dirty regions activated and it's quite good, not as fast as my i3 build but decent. Should be even quicker with openelec.
I'm using a Q6 e-mini case like the habey one with no fans at all. I had to drill some holes in the top for air flow. It runs a little hot if XBMC is running but within manufacturer temps plus it's completely silent.
Vampirebat Wrote:what is the advantage of
Patriot Torqx 2
over
Corsair Force Series 3?

aside from the obvious 4gigs worth of space?
near as i can tell from specs the corsair model has a faster interface (Sata III), it has a lower operating temp, power consumption difference is nominal and the corsair has better review ratings.

the patriot isnt sandforced.
eskro Wrote:the patriot isnt sandforced.
yeah after you posted this i went and did a bit more research.
ty
gabbott Wrote:since you have a server and if you have a good wired network, this is what I did.... run openelec from a usb stick and put the ssd in your server and use path substitution to store thumbnails and such on there. (For openelec operation there isn't any speed difference from running it off a usb or an ssd)

I have multiple clients so this setup works great for me. In addition, if you ever go to a shared database you can install the mysql db on the ssd too.

my server is unRaid and its working so id prefer not to mess with itSmile
Vampirebat Wrote:my server is unRaid and its working so id prefer not to mess with itSmile

So is mine Wink

it's not too hard to install mysql on it using unmenu and then use the addon s.n.a.p. to mount the ssd outside of the array.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3014.0

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5904.0
Vampirebat Wrote:my server is unRaid and its working so id prefer not to mess with itSmile

Yep if unRAID is working don't touch and quietly walk away. Big Grin
T800 Wrote:Yep if unRAID is working don't touch and quietly walk away. Big Grin

There is so much more that unraid is capable of than just basic file serving Wink

You make it sound like unraid and add-ons are hard to use.
gabbott Wrote:There is so much more that unraid is capable of than just basic file serving Wink

You make it sound like unraid and add-ons are hard to use.
no it isnt its really simple to use ...that is precisely why i use it.
however i have no back up for my files...yeah yeah big no no but you try backing up 14-15TB of s**t without it costing a small fortune.
i also might not have any open sata ports...i havent checked yet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My Newest HTPC Build Concept (comments and suggestions welcome)0