XBMC for Windows and PS3 Media Server
Hi all,

Been scouring through the forums and have been unable to find an answer... Im running the latest version of PS3MS and have been trying to get a XBMC on a remote PC to connect n play the files with no luck.

I am able to connect and even see the folders. However I do not see the list of movie files within the folder. ,I can see the #transcode folder and even see the list of files that can b transcoded. These dont play either. PS3MS also doesnt seem to detect XBMC as the render(WMP) instead... i havent made any changes to the conf file. Anyone else experienced this before? Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

Tango
Why would you want to use PS3 Media Server to share to XBMC? XBMC does not need anything transcoded. Just use Windows Sharing (SMB).
Because I don't want to share my folders to some of the machines in the household. I want to maintain one Media Server (PS3MS) and have the rest connect to that. XBMC seems to be the only piece of Windows software that has dlna capabilities but I can't get it to work. Does it work or does it not work?
Don't know, works for me over here. I'm watching an MKV inside PS3MS/XBMC
Spent an hour looking for a solution as well.

Google is our friend but searching and wording this in forum format was kinda difficult to find/describe. OP hit it on the head. Sadly this will get buried , nearly a year old response...

Latest version of PS3MS
Latest versions Eden and frodo.
Couldn't play any file, only option was to #trancode the file, and nothing played, Mki,avi,mp4.
Mind you this works on my other pc in the house. Win7 x86

Ended up sharing out my drives via SMB .
Agree with OP sharing out via SMB is silly, it should just work.

Trying this on a win7 x64 laptop.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6834131323
Basic avg anti-virus
Allowed to go through firewall.

What gives?
altough the thread is a bit old already I want to contribute a bit to the problem (especially because I suffer from it as well Wink )

I got the exact same situation with the empty folders, but i figured something (weird) out.

At first my whole situation with three systems:
PC (W7 64 bit) running PS3 Media Server
Laptop A (W7 64 bit) running xbmc, everything seems to work like a charm
Laptop B (W7 64 bit) running xbmc, empty folders like explained in the first post

PMS & xbmc installed last week (therefore pretty recent builds I guess... Wink )

After hours of trying and crying I found the following weird workaround for Laptop B:
1. Start both systems, including PMS & xbmc
2. using xbmc: select "videos->files->PS3 Media Server" (just so that a few of those nasty empty folders are listed)
3. restart PS3 Media Server (not with the "restart"-Button though, completely shut down the server application and start it again)
4. hopefully the PMS recognizes xbmc and it all now works as intended

note: step 2 seems to vary a bit sometimes, not sure what's going on there...

Hopefully this helps someone to find a better solution ... or at least just helps someone... Smile
Though this post is long past it's proper expiration date, I did experience the same "empty folder" problem last night and stumbled upon this thread while searching for a fix. I thought I'd post my solution.

My issue arose from using a custom PS3MS renderer config file for a Sony Blu-Ray player that used a user-agent search to find the device.
Quote:# ps3mediaserver renderer profile for Sony Bluray Disc Players (2010 Bravia Internet Video-enabled models)
# Refer to PS3.conf for help

RendererName=BDV-E370
RendererIcon=C:\\Program Files (x86)\\PS3 Media Server\\BDV-E370.png
UserAgentSearch=UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50
UserAgentAdditionalHeader=X-AV-Client-Info
UserAgentAdditionalHeaderSearch=(cn="Sony Corporation"; mn="Blu-ray Home Theatre System")

Video=true
Audio=true
Image=true
SeekByTime=false
TranscodeVideo=MPEGTSAC3
TranscodeAudio=LPCM
DefaultVBVBufSize=true
MuxH264ToMpegTS=false
MuxDTSToMpeg=false
WrapDTSIntoPCM=false
MuxLPCMToMpeg=false
MaxVideoBitrateMbps=0
MaxVideoWidth=0
MaxVideoHeight=0
H264Level41Limited=true
#MimeTypesChanges=
DLNALocalizationRequired=true
#TranscodeExtensions=
#StreamExtensions=
MediaParserV2_ThumbnailGeneration=false

# For Sony Bluray players and Bravia TVs
ForceJPGThumbnails=true
# For Sony Bluray players
ChunkedTransfer=true

# Specs below taken from http://www.sony.co.uk/product/blu-ray-di...nicalSpecs
# then fine-tuned by lengthy trial and error since so much of that advertised spec is inaccurate.
# US models don't support video/divx mime type but European and Canadian models do.
# Subtitles in mkv files are only displayed if mime type is video/divx.
# Vob subtitles are not supported.
# See also http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2004 for more DLNA-related info on these players.

MediaInfo=true
# --- video ---
Supported = f:mpegps|mpegts v:mpeg1|mpeg2 a:ac3|dts|lpcm|mpa|mp3 m:video/mpeg
Supported = f:mpegts v:h264|vc1 a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3 m:video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts
Supported = f:mp4|m4v v:mp4|h264 a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3 m:video/mpeg
######### NON-US MODELS: CHANGE THE FOLLOWING 2 MIME-TYPES TO m:video/divx
Supported = f:avi|divx v:divx|mp4 a:ac3|lpcm|mpa|mp3 m:video/mpeg
Supported = f:mkv v:mp4|divx|h264 a:ac3|dts|dtshd|truehd|aac|lpcm|mpa|mp3 m:video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts
# --- audio ---
Supported = f:wma n:2 m:audio/mpeg
Supported = f:mp3 n:2 m:audio/mpeg
Supported = f:lpcm n:2 s:48000 m:audio/L16
# --- image ---
Supported = f:jpg m:image/jpeg

The problem was that my XBMC renderer was falsely identified as the custom renderer, and PS3MS was serving it the files in a way incompatible with XBMC.
You can determine this by checking the logs to see which render is identified at the IP address of your XBMC client machine.
Quote:Renderer XBMC found on this address: Client-PC (192.168.1.100)

The issue arises because the renderer config files are processed alphabetically and the custom config caught the XBMC machine before it reached the XBMC.conf file, so I renamed the incorrectly assigned renderer config to be processed after the XBMC.conf file. (ie. BDV-370 to zBDV-370)

Hopefully this is help to anyone else that experiences the same issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for Windows and PS3 Media Server1