[Apple TV 2] AFP worse than SMB?
Question 
I have one file in my library that won't work without buffering, I have used both SMB and AFP and I get better results over SMB (which I thought was odd as isn't AFP meant to be "better"?) but the playback isn't smooth. With AFP there is a lot of buffering, but with SMB there is a lot less but the playback is stuttering still. I have tried the things here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...choppiness including disable playback to display, 16-bit output and optical/coax but to no avail.

The log seems to have a lot of this in it:

Code:
21:35:29 T:151896064 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(video)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
21:35:37 T:153006080 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
21:35:37 T:151896064 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(video)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
21:35:38 T:116383744  NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Open() Using codec: H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10

Set up:
Apple TV 2, IOS 4.4.4 (5.0.1), XBMC Eden Beta 2

Network:
ATV2 - Ethernet - Apple Airport Extreme - 1TB USB HDD

Media Info:
http://pastebin.com/6xUrZBwX

Log:
http://pastebin.com/8L5a98an
EDIT: http://pastebin.com/63qVu0x4 Log with debugging turned on (forgot about that before) start watching around line 444
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
the bitrate of over 30mbit/s might be a bit to high for the atv2 hw decoder ... beside that ios 4.4.4 sucks the cpu even more than 4.3 did...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Yeah I just tried the same file on my Macbook Pro over wifi and it worked fine over wifi so it isn't a network issue. Just a case that the ATV isn't powerful enough then?

Also should AFP be "better" than SMB as the wiki says that if you are using especially SMB then try a different protocol like AFP or does it just vary from user to user?
Set Up
deanmv,

I just brought an airport extreme and apple tv and installed xbmc on it.

So i think I have the same setup you mentioned, but I cannot access my files on the apple tv. I have tried smb and keep getting a error 2 - share not available. I have tried the zeroconf but that doesn't work either.

Can you explain how you have your setup working. I have looked all over the internet and can't find anything.

Thanks.
deanmv Wrote:Yeah I just tried the same file on my Macbook Pro over wifi and it worked fine over wifi so it isn't a network issue. Just a case that the ATV isn't powerful enough then?

Also should AFP be "better" than SMB as the wiki says that if you are using especially SMB then try a different protocol like AFP or does it just vary from user to user?

depends from user to user
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Memphiz Wrote:depends from user to user

Fair enough. Thanks for the answers!

mastermind266 Wrote:deanmv,

I just brought an airport extreme and apple tv and installed xbmc on it.

So i think I have the same setup you mentioned, but I cannot access my files on the apple tv. I have tried smb and keep getting a error 2 - share not available. I have tried the zeroconf but that doesn't work either.

Can you explain how you have your setup working. I have looked all over the internet and can't find anything.

Thanks.

Just plug the hard drive into the USB port, make it accessible by anyone on the network and then use the zeroconf browser to connect to the IP of the Airport Extreme and then the file location as you would add any other source. should all just work, it's *pretty* plug and play.
Set Up
Please read http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AFP ... i've found out that only HFS+ formatted drives can be shared from within MacOSX when using AFP - maybe this could be the same when using AE - not sure...
Memphiz Wrote:Please read http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AFP ... i've found out that only HFS+ formatted drives can be shared from within MacOSX when using AFP - maybe this could be the same when using AE - not sure...

This shouldn't matter if just going straight into the Airport Extreme should it?
Set Up
Thumbs Up 
I was using SMB and having annoying buffering problems mostly with MKV and ISO files. It got to the point that I was spending hours every day converting everything to m4v files. Finally, after reading the FAQ, I switched to AFP. It worked like a charm. The switch was painless. I'm now able to watch virtually any kind of file, including MKV and ISO files, without any buffering. So if you are on a Mac and using SMB and having buffering problems, try switching to AFP. It may be that other file sharing protocols work as well, but I haven't tried them. In my experience, Windows solutions like SMB don't work and play well with Apple products.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Apple TV 2] AFP worse than SMB?0