• 4(current)
Raspbmc - XBMC Linux distribution for Raspberry Pi
Hi

As the RPi is 'available' from today (not quite what suppliers sites say) could somebody help explain to a non savvy Linux user what to load on it.

I have been reading sam's threads and site for a while and mainly want to use it for xbmc, so, is it best/what's the difference, between xbmcbuntu, raspbmc and Debian and Fedora remix etc.

I would be happy (at the mo) if it was like I have seen via xbmcbuntu/live.

Sorry to crash some heavier discussion with newbie stuff.

Cheers

Alan
saintalan Wrote:Hi

As the RPi is 'available' from today (not quite what suppliers sites say) could somebody help explain to a non savvy Linux user what to load on it.

I have been reading sam's threads and site for a while and mainly want to use it for xbmc, so, is it best/what's the difference, between xbmcbuntu, raspbmc and Debian and Fedora remix etc.

I would be happy (at the mo) if it was like I have seen via xbmcbuntu/live.

Sorry to crash some heavier discussion with newbie stuff.

Cheers

Alan

Alan - I think the easiest solutuion will be Raspbmc, once Sam has released it.

If its like crystlabuntu, which I think it will be from what Sam has said, there will be a gui installer for windows/linux which will create an SD with raspbmc (xbmc on debian) installed on it - you will shove this into the RasPi and boot, that should be it!

Edit - don't hold your breath on getting one tho - i preordered one from Farnell at 06.15 this morning, got an email saying it will be with me w/c 16/4/12...
tdw197 Wrote:Alan - I think the easiest solutuion will be Raspbmc, once Sam has released it.

If its like crystlabuntu, which I think it will be from what Sam has said, there will be a gui installer for windows/linux which will create an SD with raspbmc (xbmc on debian) installed on it - you will shove this into the RasPi and boot, that should be it!

Edit - don't hold your breath on getting one tho - i preordered one from Farnell at 06.15 this morning, got an email saying it will be with me w/c 16/4/12...

Thanks for that, pretty much what I had hoped.

Hopefully if not this first supply there are meant to be bigger batches for subsequent. I was only able to register on RSC & Farnell:mad:

Cheers

Alan
thinking about remotes.. I take it a nyxboard would work plug & play? Or would some support for the hardware side be necessary?
It seems it'll have "built-in" support for CEC. So depending on the other components in your system it may be controllable via one of them (and thus an existing remote control).
Looking forward to try it out...
I have been a user of xbmc for a while now and started following Raspberry Pi's a few months back now and am excited for this port to the Pi, one question I do have is will raspbmc be able to run on this http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/orders also or will the drivers etc need to be written for individual arm ports?
I have subscribed to this thread. My RPi is on order along with some SD cards. One of which will have RASPBMC on it for sure.

As there is a Skype plugin for XBMC i wonder if its possible on this distro. I know there isnt a Skype client for ARM11 but to have a unit runing XBMC for HTPC and the option to have video calling in Skype is truely awesome! When working away i can keep in easy contact with the family.

oh and just had a thought. If that release could also have the option to enable Sickbeard, Couch Potato and sabnzb that would be cool.
jon0881 Wrote:oh and just had a thought. If that release could also have the option to enable Sickbeard, Couch Potato and sabnzb that would be cool.

I doubt that would be possible, as those use up a lot of RAM, even if you can install it (which I bet you can) any type of downloading would lock up the system. Sure you can try and optimize stuff, but my SABNZBD idles at 384MB Ram, the RPi only has 256MB.

Not to say that there maybe bigger RAM for it later, just saying that for the system having all of those (or even just one) is a pipe dream. Setup a server in a closet, with a few TB drives on it, network it, and POW you have a great system!
premiso Wrote:I doubt that would be possible, as those use up a lot of RAM, even if you can install it (which I bet you can) any type of downloading would lock up the system. Sure you can try and optimize stuff, but my SABNZBD idles at 384MB Ram, the RPi only has 256MB.

Not to say that there maybe bigger RAM for it later, just saying that for the system having all of those (or even just one) is a pipe dream. Setup a server in a closet, with a few TB drives on it, network it, and POW you have a great system!

Don't people run sab on old low-mem ppc and arm NAS's? Pretty sure it'll cope with some settings tweaks.....

edit:

here's a guy running it on a router with 128mb ram and 480mhz cpu:

http://forums.sabnzbd.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9296

he says it runs pretty well........
SAB runs on my Synology DS211J, and that only has 128MB of RAM. It is a 1.2GHz 1.2Ghz Marvell ARM processor though.
It can run on low memory and a slow CPU. But I'm guessing it will take half a day to repair / unpack 8GB of data and meanwhile you won't be able to use XBMC at all because the full capacity of the PC is being used by SabNZBD. I'm pretty confident it's a no-go.

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
Bram77 Wrote:It can run on low memory and a slow CPU. But I'm guessing it will take half a day to repair / unpack 8GB of data and meanwhile you won't be able to use XBMC at all because the full capacity of the PC is being used by SabNZBD. I'm pretty confident it's a no-go.

Guys simple solution to this - buy 2, 3 or hell even 4 of these suckers - they are $35 each after all...set up a whole little army of them giving each their own specific task! Big Grin
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
i have two on my list. One to run XBMC fixed to the back of the TV and the other for messing with. Asterisk PBX, Zone Minder etc....

I could use the 2nd device with a USB HDD and run sabnzb, cp, sb on that as well as NAS.

/Jon
The only problem I see is anyone using non HDMI Audio, this would be OK as my main HTPC as I have a receiver, but the upstairs one uses the on-board sound and 5.1 analogue speakers.

Other than that its a really nice piece of kit. A lot cheaper than Boxee box and Apple TV2.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspbmc - XBMC Linux distribution for Raspberry Pi7