• 3(current)
Raspbmc - XBMC Linux distribution for Raspberry Pi
http://www.raspbmc.com is now online.

I would like to conclude that openELEC I feel is for a different market. It is for those who simply want XBMC and nothing else, be it hastles or additional features. The problem I feel is that the Pi is a device bought to be hacked or messed with. It doesn't have a case. So I can't help but feel a more expansible system is appropriate.
Sam, the work you have done on Crystalbuntu is undeniably top notch. I have commented on this on STML but wanted to state that here as well.

I had played with jailbreaking the ATV/ATV2. I returned the ATV2 and had shelved the ATV 1 until finding CB. I now have 4 up and running (and counting). I can't thank you enough for what you do or tell you how excited I am to see that you are working on a version for the R.Pi platform! I was pretty psyched about R.Pi to begin with but after seeing the announcement on STML, it can't get here fast enough!!

Keep up the good work man!!

P.S. For anyone reading this who hasn't tried it, do it. Do it now! (And then donate Wink)
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
I'm going to add to the OT'ness Smile

Ignoring the obvious differences between an embedded appliance xbmc vs xbmc running on Debian etc. I thought I'd chime in concerning the two (?!) comments mentioning rude openelec devs...

Rarely have I used an OSS project as an end-user and had such fantastic communication directly with the developers as I have with openelec.
Seems strange but obviously my support experience differs as much as people's requirements and usage of xbmc and its supporting os does!
As a happy Crystalbuntu user, I'm really excited by Raspbmc. Perticularly from the XBMC backend server.

I run FreeNAS to hold my media, and I'd love to be able to do the SQL integration, unfortunately my *nix knowledge is poor, and despite several attempts I've never been able to get MySQL running on FreeNAS.

It'd be ideal for me to have a RaspPi running in a small box, powered by an old Blackberry charger (see what I did there?), a USB stick, running MySQL etc.

As for OpenELEC, I tried it on my AppleTV. I think that lasted about 30 minutes, at which point I quickly returned to Crystalbuntu.

Keep up the good work Sam, and from my own experience, don't waste your time with A-levels and university, it's a huge waste of money and time. Big Grin
It's great that you're working on this! Either way it will definitely be useful, however I must say I think that most people will indeed want to use this as more of an appliance (cheap cheap cheap appliance), rather than a full fledged desktop. I know that's my preference.

Either way, keep up the great work, and thank you!
Seeing as how a lot of people use Sam's Crystalbuntu image to make the ATV1 pretty much an appliance, this shouldn't be too much different. I'm definitely anxious to see how the little board that could (RPi) performs.
So, what's the latest. I saw that these Raspberry Pi's were supposed to be on sale as of last Thursday, but I can't find where I purchase one. Where can I do this?

What all is needed to make this an XBMC machine?
-Power Supply
-Window Media center Remote and IR receiver..?
-What else?

Is there a pre-packaged OS installation that I can download and load onto a USB stick?
Quote:Is there a pre-packaged OS installation
What thread are you reading right now?
vikjon0 Wrote:What thread are you reading right now?

I confess, I didn't read the 4 pages contained in this thread.

I'm trying to quickly figure out if this system is ready to rock and roll (stable) or are there bugs still being worked out?

If no one gives me a quick yes/no answer, I'll try to find the time later on to read through all this to figure it out.
The system isn't even released yet.
oneadvent Wrote:The system isn't even released yet.

Which one, the Raspberry Pi or the XMBC software for it?

I'm very excited about this. Where can I find more information about release dates?

I'm building my home entertainment system(s) now. So, I may have to give AppleTVs a try if it's going to be awhile before this option gets going.
Sam.Nazarko seems to have a build that will work on the RPi, but, as of yet, there are no boards for sale. According to the RPi site, they're very close to public sales, they're just having some last minute issues with the manufacturers/assemblers in China. Once the supply chain wrinkles are ironed out, they should be good to go. It'll take awhile for production to ramp up. I'm figuring that by Q3 most people should be able to purchase one if they want.
ignisuti Wrote:Which one, the Raspberry Pi or the XBMC software for it?

The actual Raspberry Pi isn't released yet, and as such, the software cannot be said to be stable or not. You can't test it without the actual equipment. As stated above there is progress being made, but no one will know till they can put it on an actual machine.
Is the Raspberry Pi capable of playing roms like N64,SNES..etc?
STOP

I've deleted the posts where things started to get ugly. These posts, deserved or not (and not siding with anyone here), are throwing this thread way off topic and making a mess of an otherwise nice thread. Easiest thing to do is put the brakes on this. No bans, no warnings, just everyone stop and cool off.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspbmc - XBMC Linux distribution for Raspberry Pi7