• 5(current)
Raspbmc - XBMC Linux distribution for Raspberry Pi
Does it output all the HD Audio formats?
Do you know its like trying to get blood from a stone on the R-Pi forum, everyone seems to answer a question with answer which doesnt help.

i.e.

Quote:
Quote:MrLobster said:
Ok so I've read through this thread and just need to clear up the 5.1 bitstreaming issue.

Does raspberry pi allow passthrough of the audio stream, through the HDMI cable, to a external Audio Receiver which can decode the audio into DTS/HD-Audio etc?

Well – that would be at the other end of the cable – so whaever you plug the RPi into ?

I mean really!!! If you dont know whats being asked, just dont say anything.
(2012-03-13, 14:32)MrLobster Wrote: Do you know its like trying to get blood from a stone on the R-Pi forum, everyone seems to answer a question with answer which doesnt help.

I guess the difficulty is that very few people actually have a working board in their hands - once this changes, definitive answers should be more forthcoming. Assuming you're not lucky enough to be in the first batch of orders, you'll certainly get those answers long before you ever get a board!
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2012-03-13, 00:17)MrLobster Wrote: The only problem I see is anyone using non HDMI Audio, this would be OK as my main HTPC as I have a receiver, but the upstairs one uses the on-board sound and 5.1 analogue speakers.

Other than that its a really nice piece of kit. A lot cheaper than Boxee box and Apple TV2.

USB audio interface
(2012-03-13, 14:44)Ned Scott Wrote: USB audio interface

Is there a 5.1 USB interface?
(2012-02-01, 03:39)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: No Raspbmc is not Ubuntu based.

Big differences between openELEC. I am not going for appliance feel. I will still offer simplicity but I will offer the user power.

Crystalbuntu is better than openELEC. Openelec doesn't even work on aTV for the last couple of months. My version offers PVR, and was the first version to offer AirPlay and AirTunes before implementation in XBMC. It allows a full desktop, features 24Hz support, a streamlined machokernel (they kexec due to a design concept - they follow the same universal design for all platforms, not ideal for aTV). My implementation is, undeniably more stable and quicker to respond. There are also under the hood tricks such as CPU management, auto mounting, and hard drive standby techniques to reduce power consumption and heat output. Crystalbuntu can be installed through UI, openelec cannot.

OpenElec is so easy to install, fast and stable that I'm eager to see your statements proved!

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
(2012-03-14, 14:08)Bram77 Wrote:

Big differences between openELEC. I am not going for appliance feel. I will still offer simplicity but I will offer the user power.

Crystalbuntu is better than openELEC. Openelec doesn't even work on aTV for the last couple of months. My version offers PVR, and was the first version to offer AirPlay and AirTunes before implementation in XBMC. It allows a full desktop, features 24Hz support, a streamlined machokernel (they kexec due to a design concept - they follow the same universal design for all platforms, not ideal for aTV). My implementation is, undeniably more stable and quicker to respond. There are also under the hood tricks such as CPU management, auto mounting, and hard drive standby techniques to reduce power consumption and heat output. Crystalbuntu can be installed through UI, openelec cannot.

OpenElec is so easy to install, fast and stable that I'm eager to see your statements proved!

Is there some confusion here? Crystalbuntu is only for the Apple TV 1 (silver). We are not talking about OpenELEC for other platforms.

I like OpenELEC. I like the guys who make OpenELEC. But for the Apple TV 1, Crystalbuntu is king. OpenELEC is not easy to install on an Apple TV 1, and lord knows I've not only tried, but I'm also trying to document the process for our XBMC Wiki.

The only way to prove this is to have an Apple TV 1 and to try it yourself. Other that, you have to take other people's word on it.
(2012-03-14, 13:26)MrLobster Wrote: Is there a 5.1 USB interface?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=usb+5.1
(2012-03-14, 17:16)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-03-14, 14:08)Bram77 Wrote:

Is there some confusion here? Crystalbuntu is only for the Apple TV 1 (silver). We are not talking about OpenELEC for other platforms.

I like OpenELEC. I like the guys who make OpenELEC. But for the Apple TV 1, Crystalbuntu is king. OpenELEC is not easy to install on an Apple TV 1, and lord knows I've not only tried, but I'm also trying to document the process for our XBMC Wiki.

The only way to prove this is to have an Apple TV 1 and to try it yourself. Other that, you have to take other people's word on it.
(2012-03-14, 13:26)MrLobster Wrote: Is there a 5.1 USB interface?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=usb+5.1

Well I looked for at least 5 mins Tongue

But that's still an extra £30 (ish) to the bill, but its still cheaper than buying a dedicated HTPC.

So depending on Bit-streaming, and playback of non h264 files, I'm hoping to use this device to either replace the Living room HTPC, or at least power a small screen in the kitchen, for music.
After a bit of a cockup by RS, my Rpi should be in my hot sweaty hands in a few days.

I'm planning on using it to replace my Acer Revo HTPC but wondered what control method I can use. I have a USB IR remote plugged into the HTPC. Am I going to be able to use it on the RPi?
excellent news for you Smile i should be getting my hot sweaty hands on mine by the end of this month... just in time for my birthday Smile

IR compatability will depend on which distro you use. I would have thought pretty much any modern distro will come with LIRC which interprets the USB IR signal. In fact you might even find that xbmc does this itself!

i mean come on! think of the Pi as a small computer... it isn't a matter of if the Pi supports it but more if the software you use supports it!

i plan on using a nyxboard to control mine Smile it took a long time coming and several returns, but now motorola finally have the product right!
(2012-05-02, 17:41)gobbledigook Wrote: excellent news for you Smile i should be getting my hot sweaty hands on mine by the end of this month... just in time for my birthday Smile

IR compatability will depend on which distro you use. I would have thought pretty much any modern distro will come with LIRC which interprets the USB IR signal. In fact you might even find that xbmc does this itself!

i mean come on! think of the Pi as a small computer... it isn't a matter of if the Pi supports it but more if the software you use supports it!

i plan on using a nyxboard to control mine Smile it took a long time coming and several returns, but now motorola finally have the product right!

I've just got a cheapo chinese Ir receiver plugged into my HTPC and use a Logitech Harmony One to control all my kit so I'm hoping I can do the same with Raspbmc as the family are now accustomed to using the remote. I've had confirmation from the courier last night and it should be arriving today. Can't wait till there's a version of Raspbmc for testing.
I just read that the R-pi has build in CEC support, and the libCEC team is currently working on support for it. will you be including this aswell in your build? this would solve most controller issues i guess Tongue
(2012-03-10, 06:48)thethirdnut Wrote:
Bram77 Wrote:It can run on low memory and a slow CPU. But I'm guessing it will take half a day to repair / unpack 8GB of data and meanwhile you won't be able to use XBMC at all because the full capacity of the PC is being used by SabNZBD. I'm pretty confident it's a no-go.

Guys simple solution to this - buy 2, 3 or hell even 4 of these suckers - they are $35 each after all...set up a whole little army of them giving each their own specific task! Big Grin

Which is what I had in mind. Super Low Power Torrent/Newsgroup Box, connect a 1TB external too it ($99) and let it rip... Web UI

Tried out the latest Beta on a Transcend 8GB Class 10 Card. Had some errors before installing but it's running really fast.

But I'm wondering what's up with PVR. The Wiki and the developer on the first page say Raspbmc has built in PVR Client functionally but elsewhere I read this is impossible due to codec limitations. Also, I did not find any PVR options...

Can someone make this point clear?
Some quotes by Sam concerning that topic on the Raspbmc forum, the problem lies within the missing licence to offer
hardware acceleration for MPEG2.

(2012-05-20, 12:58)Sam Nazarko Wrote: Running well I hope.

When I push PVR support I will look at mpeg2 more closely. All I can promise for now.

Regards

Sam

(2012-05-28, 20:25)Sam Nazarko Wrote: Not sure whether to bother. PVR will require h264 streams because MPEG2 is not supported. That means in the UK HDTV playback only.

• 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspbmc - XBMC Linux distribution for Raspberry Pi7