Frodo Not Reading MP3 Genre Tags Correctly - worked fine in Eden
I recently upgraded to Frodo from Eden and the genre tags are not importing correctly for MP3 files. Everything worked fine in Eden but Frodo is not separating "Rock; Hard Rock" into "Rock" and "Hard Rock". Eden handled MP3 files perfectly but Frodo cannot separate the multiple genres. My MP3 files were tagged with MediaMonkey. I have made no changes to the tags in the MP3 files and no changes to AdvancedSettings.xml between Eden and Frodo. When viewed in the database, on Eden the genres are "Rock / Hard Rock" in the song table but Frodo has "Rock; Hard Rock" for the same file. Also, the genre table in Frodo has the genre as "Rock; Hard Rock" (not split into the two separate genres "Rock" and "Hard Rock").

Does anyone has suggestions on how to get the MP3 genre tags to read properly with Frodo?

Thanks
XBMC Frodo front end on WIndows 7
MySQL Backend on Windows 8 based server
NextPVR back end
I'm sure I've done this with Frodo but think I've used the slash separator, so have you tried "Rock / Hard Rock"?

It could be just a bug with using ";" as the separator
You just have to make sure the separator in the .ini file is defined as "; " (with the space after the semicolon), has always worked for me with music tagged in MediaMonkey
(2013-10-22, 16:21)sialivi Wrote: You just have to make sure the separator in the .ini file is defined as "; " (with the space after the semicolon), has always worked for me with music tagged in MediaMonkey

I see there is an <itemseparator> setting for advancedsettings.xml. Is this the setting you are referring to?

Thanks
NextPVR back end
I added the <itemseparator>; </itemseparator> to <musiclibrary> in advancedsettings.xml, did and update, and still have the same problem with the genres. Are your genres in MediaMonkey like "Rock; Hard Rock" or like "Rock ; Hard Rock" with the space in front of the semicolon?
NextPVR back end
Never got XBMC 12 to scan how I wanted with mp3 files tagged by MediaMonkey. In the end. what worked best was to use APEv2 tags instead of ID3. To do that, I setup Mp3tag to read ID3 and write APE and updated all the mp3 files. Then ran an action to replace all the ; in the Ape tags with the Mp3tag \\ separator. Last is to add the prefer ape setting in advancedsettings.

Why this works for me is that Ape tags don't use separators, they have multiple instances of the tag field and XBMC handles that well (same as FLAC for example). MediaMonkey ignores the Ape tags so it isn't bothered by this.

scott s.
If you can provide some sample mp3's someone could take a look. One will suffice.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Here is a sample mp3. Thanks for your help.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2006...ended).mp3
NextPVR back end
Tried song. Correctly set <itemseperator> in advancedsettings.xml to '; ' (i.e. semicolon then space).

Scanned into library fine - 4 genres.

Note that you can set multiple genres using a stringlist in id3v2.4. This is what you should use as then you don't need a separator.

Also note that Frodo and later will display your original string (whatever it is) even though it splits it up correctly for the database.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

I see that you spelled the setting as "<itemseperator>" instead of "<itemseparator>" (an 'e' instead of 'a') so I tried both spellings with '; ' semicolon space and no luck. The genre table in MySQL has the genre as 'New Wave; Pop Rock; Rock; Synthpop' and that is the only genre assigned to this song.

I am using Frodo 12.2. Below is my debug log. Perhaps something is different with 12.2?

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=75278
NextPVR back end
(2013-10-23, 05:00)skj88 Wrote: Are your genres in MediaMonkey like "Rock; Hard Rock" or like "Rock ; Hard Rock" with the space in front of the semicolon?

"Rock; Hard Rock", which is the default setting in MediaMonkey.

Did you empty and clean the library before scanning them into the library again after changing the itemseparator?
Don't rely on my spelling :p

Here's the exact advancedsettings.xml I used:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <musiclibrary>
    <itemseparator>; </itemseparator>
  </musiclibrary>
</advancedsettings>

And yes, you'll need to clean your library to get things to come up probably.

(2013-10-26, 23:09)jmarshall Wrote: And yes, you'll need to clean your library to get things to come up probably.

This is what I just figured out by playing around. I got it to import correctly after forcing it to re-scan the songs for the artist.

Thanks for your help!!
NextPVR back end

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frodo Not Reading MP3 Genre Tags Correctly - worked fine in Eden0