No sound from some MP3s (speficially mono low resolution ones)
Hi mate, I actually got somewhere with this and got it working by modifing my asound.conf (which was empty previously)...Wasn't even looking for this...

Chuck this lot in at /etc/asound.conf

pcm.force48 {
type rate
slave {
pcm "hw:0,9"
rate 48000
}
}

That should sort it, obviously change "hw:0,9" to the correct output you are using for HDMI.

Then set audio device and passthrough device to both "custom" and for the value, "force48" in the xbmc settings.
Oh,,,,I'm late to the party, lol. Thanks for the advice.

Crikey, spent weeks being annoyed with this and gave up now a couple people give the answer and by chance I found it myself not even looking into this at the time.

I'll check your solutions, mine was from...well I can't remember, was browsing the xbmc audioengine thread and someone posted something referring to sample rate conversion so gave it a shot for this. Smile

Thanks again!
I have a Zotac AD-10 (AMD350) and had a similar issue with analog sound. I was able to fix it following this guide: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996

Basically I needed to create an asound file (either /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc) with the following settings:

Code:
pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave {
#    pcm "hw:1,0" #delete the first hash for sound over analog
#    pcm "hw:1,1" #delete the first hash for sound over optical
    pcm "hw:0,3" #delete the first hash for sound over hdmi
    rate 48000
  }
}

Then in XBMC make sure to use a custom output device of "hw:0,3" and select HDMI as the passthrough device (I have an AV receiver as a passthrough device). You may need to check with `aplay -l` to figure out the correct card/device number for your system.

Hope that helps, it's an annoying problem.
I should just note that this is a limitation of HDMI, not XBMC:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Audio.2Fvideo

I'm kind of the mind that there should be some way to have XBMC resample to 48KHz automatically when you select HDMI out Undecided
I was having the same problem. Thank you to to the original poster, and the solver.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No sound from some MP3s (speficially mono low resolution ones)0