No sound from some MP3s (speficially mono low resolution ones)
I have a few old "The Men From The Ministry" radio episodes that won't play in either XBMC Eden beta 1\2.

Have no problems with any other audio, (FLAC\5.1\MP3 mono in avi\anything else). Am using "plughw:0,9" for the audio output for my nvidia GT430. Have tried setting 2.1 output as this used to fix some mono avi on my old setup over spdif...

Anyway here's the file statistics...

Format : MPEG Audio
File size : 6.65 MiB
Duration : 29mn 2s
Overall bit rate : 32.0 Kbps
Album : The Men From The Ministry
Track name : The Great Footwear Scandal
Track name/Position : 02
Performer : The Men From The Ministry

Audio
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Layer 3
Duration : 29mn 10s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 32.0 Kbps
Channel(s) : 1 channel
Sampling rate : 22.05 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 6.65 MiB (100%)

Here's the mp3 in question if anyone would like to test for success\bug checking.

It's about 45 years old from the BBC and not commercially exploited and of very bad quality low bitrate recorded from radio, provided purely for analytical purposes, so I don't see any copyright issues but please remove if it is a problem. Thanks...

https://rapidshare.com/files/3858133459/...08.30_.mp3

EDIT - Basically, audio with 22khz\32khz sampling rate results in no sound, but the audio is being played correctly from looking at the "visual spectrum" visualization. The input indicator on my receiver flashes "HDMI", as if it had a loose cable. But plays all over content fine and "HDMI" stays solid for that.
Hi
Just tried your file, it played ok.
My audio setup :

Audio Output = Optical/Coax
Speaker Config = 2.0
Boost Volume = Yes
Dolby Digital Receiver = Yes
DTS Capable Receiver = Yes

Audio Output Device = Defaults (ALSA)
Passthrough Output Device = Custom
Custom Passthrough Device = hw:0,3

Hope it helps
Thanks Wilbox, much appreciated. Couldn't be a cheeky sod and ask if you could try over HDMI if possible and not too much trouble.

Thanks again.
Will do, won't be till tomorrow though
Hi

I switched audio output to HDMI and it played.

What OS are you running? I'm Crystalbuntu on ATV1,
being new to Linux I just enabled all audio devices in the
autoconfig utility and played around with the settings in XBMC
until I got what I wanted.

You could also check out:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=120889
and
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Adv...chitecture

Hope this helps
Neil
Just wanted to say thanks for the info and your time mate Smile Going to have a look at that lot.
I never actually got this resolved, even with a fresh install of XBMC experiencing the same issue. However after reading another thread it seems that the mp3s that won't play are all below 44khz and another person has the same situation.

Someone in that thread suggested adding a line in acsound.conf that will make sure those files are out put at 48khz, I haven't got that file. I know i should...hmmm where would it be, also can I just have the line to make the 48khz thing or will it need to be a full config with address of soundcard etc.

Thanks.
Still haven't got this sorted.

I can confirm from the visuals that the sound is playing and that XBMC is outputting an audio signal but my receiver's led indicator flashes "HDMI", normally this would stay a solid lit "HDMI" when playing anything else.

So I can only draw the conclusion that XBMC is outputting a 22khz PCM stream...Why would it do that?

I'm using an ubuntu minimal 10.10 setup, could I be missing certain dependencies and thus this occuring?

Thanx

Edit...made an advancedsettings.xml and set the resamplerate to 192000....see if that works...
Edit2...No, doesn't make a difference, also if it helps, XBMC is showing these audio files as about 4-5 times longer than they really are.
Pwease hewp meeeee sob winge moan etc. Smile
(2012-03-11, 01:39)robo989 Wrote: Still haven't got this sorted.

I can confirm from the visuals that the sound is playing and that XBMC is outputting an audio signal but my receiver's led indicator flashes "HDMI", normally this would stay a solid lit "HDMI" when playing anything else.

So I can only draw the conclusion that XBMC is outputting a 22khz PCM stream...Why would it do that?

I'm using an ubuntu minimal 10.10 setup, could I be missing certain dependencies and thus this occuring?

Thanx

Edit...made an advancedsettings.xml and set the resamplerate to 192000....see if that works...
Edit2...No, doesn't make a difference, also if it helps, XBMC is showing these audio files as about 4-5 times longer than they really are.

Hi Robo989,

I know this is an old post but did you get this resolved finally. I am having the same issue with XBMC, when playing and video clips with Audo less than 44khz, there is no sound. have you managed to fix your issue??
Hi mate,

Nope!

Have just put up with it as it's very few bits of mine that actually are in this low resolution, and the new "audioengine" is on the way, I'm pretty sure that will cure the problem as it's a complete re-write of the sound setup....Surely bring a load of other problems but that's the fun bit.....eh....ummmm something like that Smile
(2012-05-07, 13:05)robo989 Wrote: Hi mate,

Nope!

Have just put up with it as it's very few bits of mine that actually are in this low resolution, and the new "audioengine" is on the way, I'm pretty sure that will cure the problem as it's a complete re-write of the sound setup....Surely bring a load of other problems but that's the fun bit.....eh....ummmm something like that Smile

Mate, i went through some of the threads in the forums and there are solutions available. I will try them and advise you back.

Thnks
I recently posted instructions on how to play audio under the HDMI sampling rate minimum. Do a search for my username and you'll see them. Don't want to repost. Smile
(2012-05-07, 14:40)blm14 Wrote: I recently posted instructions on how to play audio under the HDMI sampling rate minimum. Do a search for my username and you'll see them. Don't want to repost. Smile

Thanks blm14, it was yours that i saw and wanted to try...cheers for posting to this thread :-)

@blm14 - your solution works perfecty...thanks

@robo989 - I think thats you solution right there!!!

Thanks guys

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No sound from some MP3s (speficially mono low resolution ones)0