Another remote thread
I know there are a lot of remote threads on here, I've read through a few of them myself. I've got a computer with Windows 7 that I'm planning on turning into a xbmc box and I need a remote. Are mce remotes the only option for Windows? If so, does anyone have any specific suggestions for a remote that works with eden? It seems like all the mce remotes are different and most of the threads are troubleshooting remotes that people already own. I thought it would be helpful to get some specific recommendations before I buy. I don't have a harmony remote, and it needs to be easy enough for the family to use.
Have you seen http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi..._with_XBMC

The best remotes are the MS compatible/RC6/eHome remotes because they are so easy to configure. In http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Control_Reviews the eHome remotes are listed in the first section.

If you want a cheap and cheerful remote the VRC-1100 is a good option. You'll find hundreds of them on ebay though they won't be described as VRC-1100 so you need to find them by looking at the pictures.

JR
Thanks! I hadn't seen the remote control reviews page. Two questions. How well do the generic ps3 remotes work? And I've read that if you get a mce remote you shouldn't get the official Windows model. Does anyone have a mce recommendation?
I have an official MS remote and it works very well. If you get a genuine MS model rather than one of the many rebadged variants, the remote volume and TV power buttons can be reconfigured. I have the volume buttons configured to control my amp and the TV power button configured to control, erm, my TV :-)

The only problem with the MS remote, and all eHome remotes, is that the response is slow if you are using a Harmony handset i.e. when you press a button there is a half second delay, and this is mildly annoying at best! The more expensive Harmony handsets have an "interkey delay" setting that you can tweak to almost, but not completely, eliminate the delay. The problem seems to be the Harmony - the response is quick if you're using the Microsoft handset.

The PS3 remote takes considerable messing around to configure. Search this forum for the gory details.

JR
Thanks! Good to know about the ps3 remotes. It sounds like a MS remote is actually the best choice for me. I don't have a harmony.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Another remote thread0