Support for rarred subtitles: another try
a while ago i wrote a simple (but working) patch to support rarred subtitles. i wasn't surprised it hasn't been added to the cvs, it wasn't clean at all.
a bit later, stcogoli wrote a more sophisticated patch to support the rar format on a wider base (original thread here) , maybe also for the filemanager etc. it wasn't added to the cvs either, not 100% sure why.
i've been applying this patch to the latest cvs for the past few months and compiled it, so my cds with rarred vobsubs still worked. but it gets harder and harder each time to apply the patch as xbmc code changes.
now i want to write a patch that is cvs-worthy, and i'd like to know from the dev's how the patch should look like to make it into cvs.
one of the new devs (spiff) is looking into rar support at the moment. i'll leave him to comment on his progress.

it would perhaps be handy if you could suggest how you think the rarred vobsubs stuff should go? i'm thinking along the lines of when to check for rarred subs, and how the naming of the unrarred subs should go etc.

as you say, the patch on sf is a little dated now as the subtitle loading system was rewritten a fair amount between then and now, but if you have spent time integrating it in the past, you're probably the one with the most recent knowledge on it.

cheers,
jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

hi,

i'm working on the rar support, based on stgcoli's work.

i've got it working as a "share" at the moment. the plan is to make .rar's completely transparent to xbmc's underlieing file routines.
might sound a bit strange to make .rar's be shares, but it is the best way to implement them..

compressed vobsubs will come as a bonus (that part of stg's patch was outdated as you said) once i've got everything else as i'd like.. (not my top priority iotw).

spiff
i'm not sure if it will be of any help but some technical-suggestions on vobsub vmm/paging has been made in this request for this (link)
ps! i think i heard that mplayer (mplayerhq.hu) currently has a dev working on support for unrar nativly in mplayer (inc. winrar 3.x)? Huh
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
butcher implemented vmm code for vobsubs ages ago, so once they're unrarred to disk, it's no problem at all.

great if spiff is working on it!

as for rarred subs i think it would be best to add .rar as second possibility (first being unrarred .sub) together with an idx, rar has to be the same name as the avi (and the idx of course), the .sub file inside the rar usually has the same name, too, but can be different (windows vobsub supports that). if extracting to hd you of course have to consider that the .sub filename inside the rar could be > 42 chars.

i don't think there is any point if i write another simple subtitle unrar routine if something fancier is on the way.
my knowledge of the unrar library doesn't go very deep, so i doubt i could help a lot with a complex unrar functionality, but i can always try to help...

i don't think vmm is necessary since the unrar library can extract big rars without a problem, so you can just extract it to a temp space on the disk. most of the .sub files aren't very big either, so the time it takes to extract probably is negligible. and big .sub's already are loaded dynamically i think...
finally got around to adding it. sorry for the wait

supports idx+rar, idx+(sub in rar) and rar with (idx+rar).

spiff
assume that i have a video file called: abc.avi and a rar called abc.rar with the files abc-group.idx and abc-group.rar in it. in the abc-group.rar there is abc-group.sub. would this work?

or would all files need to be called abc (abc.rar, abc.sub, abc.idx)?

that would save me some renaming time Smile
great work spiff!

just tried a compressed 37mb .sub file (resulted in a 6.5mb .rar file) from cd and it worked flawlessly! (it took over 2 minutes to load, but as there are very few movies with very big sub files, i don't think that's a problem at all). smaller files load quite fast.
also tried a movie.avi, movie.idx and movie.rar with diffrent .sub filename inside the rar, worked fine, too.

@donj: easiest way to find out is probably to test it yourself Wink
donj,

within the .rar they can be called whatever. outside they have to have the 'same name'. will see what i can cook up later

edit: typo

sounds good :thumbsup:
thx for your great work spiff!
great work spiff!
what would be nice is a progress bar to see loading progress.
but i do of course understand if you don't have the time or just don't want to do it!
hi,

uncompression should really not take a very long time.. adding a progress dialog there might be possible, since rar supports callbacks, just not sure they are enabled in the xbox version. i can have a look.

also the high loading times are not caused by uncompression, but by initialization of the vobsub-reader. a bit of profiling is on my todo list

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Support for rarred subtitles: another try0