XBMC crashes shortly after startup on ATV2
Hello,
First of all, I am a fairly new user of the ATV2 and XBMC. I started using two months ago when my personal research concluded that it would be the best choice for my home theater/cable cutting desires. I say this because I really know nothing about the inner workings, coding or how to get around on the ATV device (or apple products in general), or the XBMC program. I've scoured the forums here before joining and posting, but everything I find refers me to do this or that which I have no idea how to do..

So. my problem is as stated in the title. XBMC was working fine for 2 months.. then it started to kick out to the ATV2 main menu ever so often after startup, and then would work on the second attempt. However, yesterday and today it won't let me stay in XBMC at all. So I'm curious what my problem is. I see that a lot of people have the same issue, but I don't see that a solution has been found. Please ask to look into log files (I don't know where to find them) or fix .db's (what are those) or packages (huh?). I can't stay in XBMC for more than 5-10 seconds, so gleaning information out of it is an impossibility. I'd rather not completely whip the ATV2 and start from scratch if I don't have to. Plus, it seems this would be a good opportunity to learn a thing or two about how all this works for future reference/troubleshooting.

I guess I'm just a total newb that needs guidance!

So; I wish I could provide the logs and/or version I'm using.. but I just don't now how?!

I did SSH into the machine and install the latest nightly (xbmc-20111222-22ad8e4-master-atv2.deb), in the hopes that that would fix the problem.. but it didn't.

Thanks for any help!
faq says to post xbmc.log... I don't see it Smile

step 1) ssh in
step 2) cat /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/xbmc.log
step 3) c/p that output to http://www.pastebin.com
step 4) paste URL you get from http://www.pastebin.com in a post here.
step 5) there is no step 5.
Just to add to what davilla said....

If you know that little about the ATV and XBMC, you're going to find it very rough going unless you do a LOT of reading. You should really start at the very least by reading the FAQ; then, if I were you, I'd start browsing through the XBMC wiki manual. The ATV and XBMC simply isn't a device/software combination that can just be treated like a toaster or equally simple appliance. It requires some understanding of what's going on, which will take some reading. Also search the forum--almost every question you could have has been answered multiple times.

Also, the latest version of XBMC is no longer those nightlies, it's Beta 2. All this info, again, is in the FAQ.
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
I had the same problem 2 nights ago, where I could not get into XBMC for more than 5 seconds....I had to updated to Eden Beta 2 to fix the problem.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...Apple_TV_2
oixali Wrote:I had the same problem 2 nights ago, where I could not get into XBMC for more than 5 seconds....I had to updated to Eden Beta 2 to fix the problem.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...Apple_TV_2

+1

Update to Eden2 fixed the same issue i had.

Ste0803
oixali - Thanks for the link, I will give it a try tonight!

Davilla - Thanks for showing me how to retrieve the logs (I didn't know how to get them!), I will try to update to Eden Beta 2 tonight and see if that fixes my issues tonight when I get home, if I have issues still I will post my log.

canadave - Yes, I do know that little, but want to learn.. have to start somewhere. Forums, at times.. can be nasty beasts.. mixed with outdated and new information at the same time; Being so green I found it hard to discern what was what when references were made to certain things.. linking here and there.. several long hours later I still didn't know anything new. Maybe I need to look at an iOS FAQ first to help clarify how the ATV's work, then come back and the XBMC FAQ's will make more sense!
No worries, it's good that you want to learn. Just wanted to warn you what you're in for Wink

Here's the XBMC manual:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Online_Manual

Basically just about any question you have about usage will be answered there. And I do highly encourage you to search the forum...I know what you're saying about new and outdated information, but of course as you doubtless know, the latest information is most likely correct. Obviously don't go by some post in 2007 as being current info Wink Luckily, the search results are sorted by most recent first, so it shouldn't really be an issue.

Good luck.
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC crashes shortly after startup on ATV20