Cases for fanless HTPC (ATX or microATX)
bluray Wrote:For sure you will have more room with the GD04 then the ML03B. The GD04 has aluminum front panel, and the GD05 has aluminum skin over plastic front panel. If you like the all aluminum front panel, you should go with GD04.

Here is the complete info on it- Silverstone GD04

I think the GD04 looks pretty good. My only concern is mounting a blu-ray drive and fan noise. Putting aside the pros and cons of providing a optical drive, and the limitation on CPU cooler height, would be getting the blu-ray drive mounted a problem? I've seen remarks that to give the front panel a uniform appearance, there's a piece that attaches to the optical drive door with double sided tape, but that this setup doesn't work with full-width drive doors (hope my Pioneer drive door will fit).

Regarding the fan noise, I see a lot of remarks about poor quality fans that fail and/or are noisy. Several people have replaced fans with Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E. So guess I'm looking at a few buck to replace fans if i use any at all. I think you had suggested a 120mm fan a few days back.
Seasonic SS-460FL fanless power supply was build to be paired with well ventilated(active fans) cases.

it is not suitable to use this psu with fanless case.
publicENEMY Wrote:Seasonic SS-460FL fanless power supply was build to be paired with well ventilated(active fans) cases.

it is not suitable to use this psu with fanless case.

That's a good point. Is that what Seasonic says? If you have a vent in the case directly above the SS-460FL, then should not be a problem. If not, then I agree you need to have a means to move out the hot air venting from the PSU, which will vary based on the load. Not available anymore, but this is an good example of a case where I would use this PSU w/o case fans needed (http://www.vidabox.com/store/index.php?m...cts_id=118).

I'm using a Seasonic PSU with 120mm intake fan pulling air in from an external vent in the bottom of the case and venting out the back.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cases for fanless HTPC (ATX or microATX)0