[RELEASE] buggalo - automatic exception collector
Hi all,

I have been preparing the code for a new release for a while and I think it's about time to push the update.
The major changes are these:
Version 1.1.2 - 2012-09-09
- Improved UI compatibility with skins other than Confluence
- Updated movie quotes

Version 1.1.1 - 2012-09-09
- Reworked error dialog layout a bit

Version 1.1.0 - 2012-07-11
- Added custom error dialog with details view
- Added support for tracking userflow
- More robust handling of extra data

The custom error dialog has been slightly changed compared to the previous screenshots I uploaded.
Other than that everything is pretty much the same.
I have also updated the readme with information on the userflow tracking - it's easiest to read on https://github.com/twinther/script.module.buggalo

Let me know what you think.
If you want to give it a spin you can install my beta repository from http://tommy.winther.nu/xbmc/

Br.
Tommy
I should probably also mention that I have investigated using github as the destination for the error reports.
Unfortunately github requires that you are authenticated when creating the issue - it's possible to setup a scope in the OAuth setup, but it is very wide and would give access to every action on a repo, not just access to create issues - so I dropped implementing that.
I had a quick look at google code, but i think it's the same problem.

I have also considered email as Tria suggested above, but in my experience sending an email from a random box is not as easy as you might think due to all the spam and what not that is sent on the internet these days... SMTP servers are pretty much locked down (otherwise they would be an open relay) and I don't think it's a good idea to ask the user about which SMTP server to use.

If you have another suggestion please let me know...
How much of a PITA would it be to add a checkbox next to each item ? That way an item contains a password or etc, they can disable just that item, but still submit the rest. When it gets to the author, that field could say (withheld) out similar.

IMHO, it wouldn't be too much to ask a user to create a Gmail account to use for submissions if they didn't have a server. Then you'd always know the server info.

Great work!
Hi Bstrdsmkr,

Yeah, I understand your idea with checkboxes, but I think it's better if an error report with sensitive information is not sent at all.
If fx the stack trace is left out the error report is not of much use. Plus the end user may not really know what to send / leave out, so I think it's better just to leave the choice of sending or not.

I like your idea with just supporting gmail. It makes it a lot easier to send email, but may still fail in some cases though. In Denmark some ISP's are blocking port 25 (for smtp) so it's impossible to sent mail directly to the MX in this case.
Anyway I have implemented the feature so we can give it a try and see how it works in reality. I have updated the readme at https://github.com/twinther/script.module.buggalo with information.

Let me know what you think.

Also the 1.1.2 version was release about a week ago and judging from my stats around 100.000 installations has been upgraded already - great! Big Grin
Hi twinther,
I plan using buggalo for my addon service.watchedlist, but I did not manage to import it.
I tried it with Frodo 12.1 and Frodo 12.2.
When I manually copy the folder script.module.buggalo to my addons-folder it works. Otherwise it doesn't work:
Code:
ImportError: No module named buggalo
Buggalo is listed for Frodo in the official repository: (http://mirrors.xbmc.org/addons/frodo/scr...e.buggalo/), but I can't find it in XBMC.
When I add
Code:
<import addon="script.module.buggalo" version="1.1.2" />
to the required-section of my addon.xml, nothing happens.
In your beta repository http://tommy.winther.nu/xbmc/ I can't find it, too (probably a Frodo-problem).
Do you know any other solution than supplying my addon with the buggalo-folder?

Thanks

P.S.
The error-report is empty, but this is not urgent, since the email content is correct
Hi, I think you should just download the zip file manually and install it in XBMC: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/addons/frodo/scr...-1.1.2.zip
Alternatively you can install one of the addons that use the buggalo (fx DR NU Player) and the module will be installed auomatically as well.
XBMC only installs script.module addons when another one that depends on it is being installed.

I'll look into the missing error report. Did you configure it to send the error report via email?

Br.
Tommy
(2013-05-12, 20:45)twinther Wrote: Hi, I think you should just download the zip file manually and install it in XBMC: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/addons/frodo/scr...-1.1.2.zip
This works, but is more difficult to distribute in an addon.
(2013-05-12, 20:45)twinther Wrote: Alternatively you can install one of the addons that use the buggalo (fx DR NU Player) and the module will be installed auomatically as well.
XBMC only installs script.module addons when another one that depends on it is being installed.
This does not work. For example, when I install TV Guide from your repository, I get
Code:
File "C:\Users\schapplm\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.tvguide\source.py", line 27, in <module>
import buggalo
ImportError: No module named buggalo
I used the same method as you to bring xbmc to import buggalo (<import addon="script.module.buggalo" version="1.1.2" />).
The poblem seems to be, that the addon syntax of buggalo does not work in frodo, because it does not appear in your repo, whereas all your other addons are there. I am relatively new to xbmc development, but I suppose it is the addon.xml of buggalo.

Image Image

(2013-05-12, 20:45)twinther Wrote: I'll look into the missing error report. Did you configure it to send the error report via email?
I used buggalo.GMAIL_RECIPIENT, the emails contain all information. I used buggalo.addExtraData to add information and buggalo.onExceptionRaised() to send, which works fine.
It is only installed when you install an addon. Not when you just add it to your addon.xml
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-05-12, 22:18)Martijn Wrote: It is only installed when you install an addon. Not when you just add it to your addon.xml
That was it, thank youBlush the first time I only copied the addon from twinther in the folder so it was not an installation. Buggalo is not visible because it is a module.
The missing error report was an error in the German localization strings.xml (not all arguments converted during string formatting => %s missing). I will send you a complete translation to your git source
Hi all, I just uploaded version 1.1.3 of the buggalo module to my beta repository: http://tommy.winther.nu/xbmc/
The changelog is quite small, but includes the option to send the error report to a gmail account (configurable by the addon dev.)
Version 1.1.3 - 2013-05-18
- Added support for sending error reports to a gmail account
- Updated language files from Transifex

Please give it a try before I submit it to the official repo.
Thanks,
Tommy
Hi. When I send to report, gave me a message "not possible to send (in portuguese Tongue)".

With gmail. Sugestions?
Hmm. I think an exception occurs in the email code. Did you try to send to an @gmail.com address?

Please remove the try except clause on line 101/106 in buggalo_gui.py and try again.
XBMC should log the exception then and show a script error.

Br.
Tommy
Removed try: and full except condition. Message ok.. 0 email :S

@gmail.com address Wink
Sorry for the delay. I have uploaded version 1.1.4 which adds more logging in case an internal error happens in the module.
Just now it occured to me, did you check the spam folder in gmail?
The mails I have sent via buggalo usually end up in the spam folder.

Br.
Tommy

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] buggalo - automatic exception collector3