Text-Input via DVD-remote numeric buttons
what about mapping button directly to individual screens/menüs? so one does not need to zap through too much screens to get to the desired point?!

(i am planing to put my xbox in the car.. would be nice to have a quicker naviagtion.. also a one-botton-off would be nice)

and what about using something linke a t9 alphanum input mode instead of (or in addition to ) the on-screen keyboard?!
(jcee @ feb. 02 2004,12:14 Wrote:and what about using something linke a t9 alphanum input mode
that's a very good idea, that would be a much faster way to search for an artist/album/song.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
unfortunatley aol and tegic have the t9 predictive text entry sewn up in many patents, i believe this would prevent us from incorporating this technology into xbmc.

see this link (us patent office) for more information.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

it wouldn't need to be predictive text, it can be a simple filter. i press 6 on my remote and it knows the first letter is m,n or o. whatever is in the database that starts with m,n or o is presented. then i press 2 and now it its second letter is a, b or c. so rather than predicting i might spell a word like match, it simply shows anything that fits.

i have a rio digital receiver, and i also have a navigation system in my car. both of these devices will narrow down your available choices and filter based on the input you give them. neither is a tegic or t9 system just a simple filter. it is surprising how just a few letters or numbers are needed to lock in on exactly the right artist (or in the case of navigation street name) using this method.
feature suggestion for the search box in xbmc

i have search the forum but didn't find anyone suggesting this.

i programme a bit myself (vb) and have made a program that works like the multitap function of a mobile phone.

e.g. key 1 = .-() key 2 = abc, 3 = def and so on. you press several times for the specific letter you want.

i was wondering if this was possible for the xbmc aswell, since the input method used is very slow.

another thing i would consider a nice feature is predictive input method (also like mobilephones, t9). of course the words has to be know my the xbox, but it shouldn't be that much of a problem since the files contain the names, and can be split into and array or something.

you can write me if you want more details of the idea or see the multitap programme i wrote in vb. (using ati remote wonder via number keys)

i think this would make searching for files much easier and i would make it myself if i knew how. so i guess i can only offer my help if wanted making it. :-p
since there are a people complaining about the virtual keyboard and others having the idea of modding a usb keyboard i got the idea of using mulitap input.
(multitap : is the same input type that you use when writing sms messages w.o. dictionary)

this would probarbly speed up input a lot compared to moving a cursor. the only thing i fear might be a problem is the response for the button-presses from the remote. can the xbox react to quick sucessive butoonpresses on the same button i.e 3 tapps on 2 to get c

possible mapping, (from cellular):
0 : 0, other things like : ,.() and so on
1 : space
2 : a,b,c,2
3 : d,e,f,3
4 : g,h,i,4
5 : j,k,l,5
6 : m,n,o,6
7 : p,q,r,s,7
8 : t,u,v,8
9 : w,x,y,z,9

have this ever been considered?
brilliant idea - i support this   :thumbsup:
someone probably already wrote a gpl version of t9 as well - i would not be surprised..
t9 would also be great! a english dictionary with about 6 000 words takes about 20k. there are source avaliable at this link:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/korsu/ft.html
:bump:

as mentioned in another thread(by forza):
Quote:unfortunatley aol and tegic have the t9 predictive text entry sewn up in many patents, i believe this would prevent us from incorporating this technology into xbmc.

see this link (us patent office) for more information.

however a "filter" would be great like mention by mknight:
Quote:it wouldn't need to be predictive text, it can be a simple filter. i press 6 on my remote and it knows the first letter is m,n or o. whatever is in the database that starts with m,n or o is presented. then i press 2 and now it its second letter is a, b or c. so rather than predicting i might spell a word like match, it simply shows anything that fits.

i have a rio digital receiver, and i also have a navigation system in my car. both of these devices will narrow down your available choices and filter based on the input you give them. neither is a tegic or t9 system just a simple filter. it is surprising how just a few letters or numbers are needed to lock in on exactly the right artist (or in the case of navigation street name) using this method.
first, i'm sorry for my bad english.

second, my feature suggestion:

i'd like to see a keyboard layout like on a phone. so you can fast search in your music libary. picture:

i hope it's not suggested before. thx
if you have the remote, you already have this input style.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

(jmarshall @ nov. 10 2004,15:19 Wrote:if you have the remote, you already have this input style.
wouldn´t it be ideal then to add it to the online manual?

http://manual.xboxmediacenter.de/wakka.p....n&v=va3
indeed (done btw)

Lightbulb 
What do you guys think of adding input logic to the keypad numbers on a remote such that you can input anything that requires the "virtual keyboard".

Blackberry boasts this idea as SureType (http://www.blackberry.com/products/suret...dex.shtml).

My thoughts were that it would be SureType with a twise, there would be a dictionary for common words and so if you want to type the name of a movie which contains common english words and say
1=ABC, 2=DEF, 3=GHI, 4=JKL, 5=MNO, 6=PQR, 7=STU, 8=VWX, 9=YZ

You should be able to hit 5265 and it should automatically start resolving to and display 'mermaid' with a list of other potential matches from the dictionary.

Additionally, media names would also be silently added to a media dictionary so that if have the movie Cars on the box, you could type 1156 and it would resolve to that.

The more applied example would searching for tunes. You could type 5125 and it would start resolving to 'Madonna' and display it on the screen and you hit go.

Do you guys think, is this something anyone would use? It was just a thought.
yeah. we thought so three years ago when we added it.

basic sms input that is, no t9.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Text-Input via DVD-remote numeric buttons0