Understanding S3 Sleep Mode
I'm currently putting my HTPC together (A6-3500, Win7-64 based) and am wondering about how to leave the system powered when not in use. I will be controlling it with a Logitech Harmony remote, with this USB IR receiver. I see people talking about a S3 sleep state - is this recommended and if so, how do you set up the remote to wake it and then return it to S3? My preference would be to leave it powered but in a standy state for quicker startup (rather than completely powering off).

Also, if the system is in the S3 state and I wanted to remotely log in from another machine (for instance, to perform maintenance/file management), is it possible to wake it over the network? And if I schedule a TV recording (or other event), will it be able to wake up automatically?

Thanks!
S3 Sleep can be activated using the power button on an MCE Remote, so as long as you have it turn on and off as part of your start up/shutdown sequence it should work fine. I use this on my bedroom HTPC.
You should be able to use wake on lan to access the PC when asleep.
Thanks, but I'm not clear what you mean by "as long as you have it turn on and off as part of your start up/shutdown sequence it should work fine"? Are you saying that, in Windows7, you set it to go into S3 Sleep mode when you hit the Shutdown button, instead of completely powering down?
I mean just add a press of the power toggle button to the the start up/shutdown sequence for the Harmony activity, so when you turn everything off the PC will be set to standby and when you turn everything on it will wake up.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Understanding S3 Sleep Mode0