[MAC] ATV 1st Gen or ATV 2nd Gen??
Question 
Just curious to see what peoples thoughts are on this one.

I currently have an Apple TV Gen 1. I used it for XBMC for a while, then the TV I was using it with broke, and I could no longer use it due to the correct inputs on the other TV I was using. I sat around on it a while, finally wiped it clean to default settings and am getting ready to sell it. Last week, I bought a new TV, which should be here Wednesday and now I want to start using it again (have been using XBMC on my Macbook Pro for XBMC). Currently, I do have a buyer willing to pay $100 for it.

My question is if I should keep it, or sell it and go with the newer second gen Apple TV for all of my XBMC needs? Obviously, there are pluses and minuses to both. I will practically break even (stupid Paypal fees) with the selling and buying of the new one, I will have to do some hackery and installing on both systems (damn, why did I have to wipe the other one clean about 3 days before I bought a new TV). It seems like both are pretty simple to get XBMC up and running, the ATV USB Creator, which I used before and had NO problems with vs needing to jailbreak with Greenpoison, then use the ATV USB Creator (I am capable with doing both). Although, I would assume that if I buy a new ATV, it will be running iOS5, and will have to downgrade. Both of them will be wired in to the Ethernet. As far as the Crystal HD card thing, I haven't even thought about it because the TVs I had before weren't that great, but my new one is a true 1080p. I guess it boils down to the performance, the chip of the ATV2, vs the hard drive of the ATV1. Since they both will be wired into my file server, I don't imagine me ever needing the ATV1's drive. It seems that the black ATV works better with Airplay out of the box with my Android phone, vs having to install another app on the white one. I am sure there are many more advantages/disadvantages to both..

But, back to my question, for those who have used both, which one should I go with? Personally, I always like to have the latest and greatest, because at some point down the line XBMC might stop supporting the ATV1 and I would be screwed, but if that one actually works better, then I guess I should keep it and just use that one..

Thanks in advance
Both a a one gigahurts processor, both have 256 megs of ram. With the crystal hd chip and chrystalbuntu the atv1 is superior in every way except for netflix and noise. I had the atv2 first and sold it to go with atv1 crystalbuntu and dont regret it at all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] ATV 1st Gen or ATV 2nd Gen??0