Playing big 3D ISO from NAS
Hallo!

I would like to ask if is possible play big 3D ISO (about 50 GB) from NAS or is necessary copying to local drive in advance?

I hope, it is possible, but I read this information (dated 2010-12-29) on this XBMC forum:

Vultures Wrote:I have mounted it in Daemon Tools and played in Arcsoft TMT. To do the trick you'll also need a card with HDMI 1.4, HDMI 1.4 cable, and 3DTV. Streaming from NAS didn't do well, so I had to copy the image to HTPC local drive. I am downloading the following ISOs directly to HTPC.

I have NAS Synology DS1010+ and Gigabit Ethernet connection between NAS and HTPC. I am planning A8-3850 as my new HTPC for playing 2D and 3D movies.

Thank you very much for your info.
I know absolutely nothing about 3D films, so can't answer that.

Regarding streaming 50gig files, that shouldn't be a problem as long as your server/client can keep up with it. You mentioned that you're using a wired gigabit connection between then (good!), but it's all about real-world throughput...
If you switch to file mode on your htpc and start to copy the 50gig file, what sort of speed do you get? A 50gig file that's two hours long will require roughly 7MB/s bandwidth on average (but videos have variable bitrates that will spike up and down depending on the complexity of the image on the screen) - if you're well above that (gigabit is 120MB/s in theory) then you shouldn't have issues.
I think so, but info from user "Vultures" little scared me, becouse I want only SSD in my HTPC.

Copying from NAS to PC is about 50MB/s.
Bitrates for Blu-Ray should be circa 50Mbit/S so if you have a 50MByte/S speed between your NAS and HTPC you'll have 8x the required bandwidth (1 byte = 8 bits)

Or think about it another way
A 50 Gig movie will run say 1hr30 or 60(secs)*60(mins)*1.5(hours) = 5400Secs

In that time your network can move 5400 * 50MByte = 270,000Mbyte or 270GByte

However you slice it that's a lot more capacity than you need
two_OH_five Wrote:Bitrates for Blu-Ray should be circa 50Mbit/S so if you have a 50MByte/S speed between your NAS and HTPC you'll have 8x the required bandwidth (1 byte = 8 bits)

Or think about it another way
A 50 Gig movie will run say 1hr30 or 60(secs)*60(mins)*1.5(hours) = 5400Secs

In that time your network can move 5400 * 50MByte = 270,000Mbyte or 270GByte

However you slice it that's a lot more capacity than you need

Thank you very much for your help.

I also think, there is no problem with speed. User "Vultures" who wrote, that it is not good, probably had some problems with his NAS or net.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing big 3D ISO from NAS0