[Install Sata HDD] Am I doing something wrong?
[Update] - Fixed now!!

Hi folks,

So my NAS is nearly full already so I want to transfer some of my movies directly to my HTPC, however my 64Gb Kingston SSD
just won't cut it so I am trying to install a Seagate Barracuda Green 2Tb internal HDD onto my system but it doesn't seem to work.

My HTPC (the relevant parts);
Asrock A75 Extreme6 Mobo
AMD A6-3500
Win7 Home Premium 64bit

The Harddrive (sorry, not sure what is relevant):
Seagate Barracuda Green 2Tb
S/N:6YD1LZYC
ST2000DL003
P/N: 9VT166-302
F/W: CC3C
Date: 12171

The Process (so far):
1. Turn off computer and open up
2. Hook up power and Sata3 cable
3. Power on computer
4. No drive in windows, nor in BIOS*

*However the drive is listed in my Device Manager.

Am I doing something wrong? Last time I installed an internal sata drive it just worked.
I didn't need to change anything in the BIOS, and it just showed up in My Computer (to the best of my recollection, anyways!).

I have read elsewhere on the net to use jumper settings to throttle the speed of the drive but that doesn't seem like the best answer.

Should I not be using this drive in my setup? It has the correct pin connectors on the drive to accept a sata cable
- am I wrong to presume that any sata drive will work with a Mobo sata3 interface? ie are they backwards compatible if my drive isn't sata3
(or am I getting confused with the USB3 being compatible with USB2 devices and it doesn't matter with sata?).

Or do I probably have a faulty drive? I can return it but if they check it and it is working it will cost me an extra $50 (plus relevant shipping costs)
for wasting their time, in effect.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,

francis
My HTPC;
Silverstone LC17 Silver ATX | ASrock A75 Extreme6 ATX | AMD A6-3500 HD6530D
Transparency! v4.0.4
Transparency! FAQ/HowTo
Yea its backwards compatible maybe just try another sata port?

But its kinda strange that it doesnt show in BIOS but in Windows.

Is it already formated and has data on it?
Yeah, brand new drive.

[Update - now it works!]

I thought it was strange that it didn't show up in My Computer or BIOS, but it did show up in Device Manager so I used Windows Help this time (previously I had just googled "seagate drive hdd not showing up win7" which led me down the wrong path).

5 minutes later my drive is up and running!

Thanks for your help - you helped save me $50!

Cheers,

francis
My HTPC;
Silverstone LC17 Silver ATX | ASrock A75 Extreme6 ATX | AMD A6-3500 HD6530D
Transparency! v4.0.4
Transparency! FAQ/HowTo

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Install Sata HDD] Am I doing something wrong?0