Anyone using Crystal HD card want to give me pros & cons?
DrGrafix Wrote:Thanks guys... I think I will "keep an eye out" LOL for when they go on sale. $40 vs $20 is a big difference. And I'm going to do a clean re-install of the patchstick right to XBMC today or tomorrow and hopefully it'll run just fine.

BTW, is Dharma just an earlier version of XBMC and why I'm asking is _if_ I go with a stable Dharma as opposed to Eden (which a lot of people still say works fine), I can use Confluence as my skin and it'll look the same as it looks when using Eden right? And if I went with Eden... would .v.3 be any more stable than .v.1?

Mike

If you are doing clean re-install then i would go with Dharma 10.1 and install your Crystal HD card (logicsupply is place to go) and the drivers (r174). Confluence skin won't look the same as it does on Eden it's lot different, I was using Night skin and I really liked it a lot, you get lot more customization options. And if everything goes well as far as Dharma and CHD install and your 720p movies are playing fine, then i would not move to Eden until final stable version comes out (It's just my opinion!). Because, it has issue with retrieving files from SMB server, it will go into buffering every 15 to 30 seconds and you'll end up questioning if you screwed up so something!

Enjoy!
~ATV420~
-AppleTV1
-Crystal HD Card 70015 w/ r174 drivers
-EDEN Beta RC2
-SMB server
Hudson_Hawk04 Wrote:is all your media acting screwy? again at this point I would look at your sound setup if you have the wrong one selected it can cause screwed up playback.

Hudson, I believe I found the issue, I just unplugged my router/ switch and as it went through whole new power cycle that seemed to have fixed things and so far movies are playing @ 720p with the CHD card.
I'll be putting it to test this weekend to make sure I get consistent results but, it is promising!
So, at this point I am very happy and feel like complete dumb ass! Nod But, lesson learned...
~ATV420~
-AppleTV1
-EDEN Beta RC2
-SMB server
atv420 Wrote:If you are doing clean re-install then i would go with Dharma 10.1 and install your Crystal HD card (logicsupply is place to go) and the drivers (r174). Confluence skin won't look the same as it does on Eden it's lot different, I was using Night skin and I really liked it a lot, you get lot more customization options. And if everything goes well as far as Dharma and CHD install and your 720p movies are playing fine, then i would not move to Eden until final stable version comes out (It's just my opinion!). Because, it has issue with retrieving files from SMB server, it will go into buffering every 15 to 30 seconds and you'll end up questioning if you screwed up so something!

Enjoy!

I did do the clean re-install and didn't bother with Boxee, just downloaded Dharma 10.1 and I'm using Confluence. Haven't watched a full movie yet so I can't tell for sure if there's any issues but on my setup monitor I didn't see any sync issues or stuttering. I can live with Dharma/Confluence if that is the best, most stable combo.

Didn't get the CHD card as I'm waiting for the next sale. No sense in paying $40 if they are sometimes available for $20 right?
atv420 Wrote:Hudson, I believe I found the issue, I just unplugged my router/ switch and as it went through whole new power cycle that seemed to have fixed things and so far movies are playing @ 720p with the CHD card.
I'll be putting it to test this weekend to make sure I get consistent results but, it is promising!
So, at this point I am very happy and feel like complete dumb ass! Nod But, lesson learned...

Good deal, glad you are making progress. Keep me updated.
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
DrGrafix Wrote:I did do the clean re-install and didn't bother with Boxee, just downloaded Dharma 10.1 and I'm using Confluence. Haven't watched a full movie yet so I can't tell for sure if there's any issues but on my setup monitor I didn't see any sync issues or stuttering. I can live with Dharma/Confluence if that is the best, most stable combo.

Didn't get the CHD card as I'm waiting for the next sale. No sense in paying $40 if they are sometimes available for $20 right?

Excellent!
I no longer have Boxee installed either and when I did I barley used it because, XBMC will meet all your entertainment needs, except for live TV. But, Crystal HD card will defiantly help you with 720p movies, it won't handle 1080p. If you find the card (70015) for $20 post it!!!
I know I paid $40 for the card but, I just gave second life to my ATV1.

Can't wait for ATV3...

Enjoy...
~ATV420~
-AppleTV1
-EDEN Beta RC2
-SMB server
I thought the 970015 should be capable of doing 1080p? I'm looking into getting an atv1 because of that. Otherwise I'll just get an atv2.
970015 can certainly decode 1080p video content.
Thanks for the headz up on that. Now to get rid of my old xbox and get an atv1 Big Grin
- good ol' xbox.
- Raspberry Pi
aart Wrote:I thought the 970015 should be capable of doing 1080p? I'm looking into getting an atv1 because of that. Otherwise I'll just get an atv2.

davilla Wrote:970015 can certainly decode 1080p video content.

aart Wrote:Thanks for the headz up on that. Now to get rid of my old xbox and get an atv1 Big Grin

70015 card can play the 1080p files but, for me it's not as smooth as 720p. If it works for you then it's great!
Re: ATV1 or ATV2, if you have HDMI connection then go with ATV2. Because, lot of the addons will work better with ATV2 + Eden.
~ATV420~
-AppleTV1
-EDEN Beta RC2
-SMB server
atv420 Wrote:70015 card can play the 1080p files but, for me it's not as smooth as 720p. If it works for you then it's great!
Re: ATV1 or ATV2, if you have HDMI connection then go with ATV2. Because, lot of the addons will work better with ATV2 + Eden.

I think if you install linux on your atv1 then 1080p would be smooth. At least that's what I've been reading.

How come the addons will work better with atv2 (and eden)? I mean some of the addons I use on my xbox still work great. What would be the difference?
- good ol' xbox.
- Raspberry Pi
is there really that much of a difference in performance between bcm70012 and the bcm70015? specifically when the atv isn't running osx (wiped hdd with crystalbuntu).

i'm curious because i'm thinking about throwing the card in.
atv420 Wrote:70015 card can play the 1080p files but, for me it's not as smooth as 720p. If it works for you then it's great!

Look into installing Crystalbuntu. I've got both ATV1 and ATV2, and with BCHD and Crystalbuntu, there's nothing the ATV2 can do better than the ATV1 (as far as XBMC goes).

I still like both devices, though. ATV1s will eventually dry up, too.
I put a CrystalHD card in my Apple TVg1 some time ago, all went smooth and can play most 1980 movies smooth as silk.

Here's a link to my shameless set-up...
phi303 Wrote:is there really that much of a difference in performance between bcm70012 and the bcm70015? specifically when the atv isn't running osx (wiped hdd with crystalbuntu).

i'm curious because i'm thinking about throwing the card in.

The 70015 can play as well all the codecs typically used in SD material (XviD, DivX, etc). With the 70012 those will be played without accelaration (done by the CPU).

I have an ATV1 almost since day one and I added the 70015 card some weeks ago, I feel stupid now for not doing it before.
Krieg Wrote:The 70015 can play as well all the codecs typically used in SD material (XviD, DivX, etc). With the 70012 those will be played without accelaration (done by the CPU).

I have an ATV1 almost since day one and I added the 70015 card some weeks ago, I feel stupid now for not doing it before.

thanks! i also found a comparison in the wiki

the 70015 is so expensive though lol i guess i'll just have to wait for a sale or something.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone using Crystal HD card want to give me pros & cons?0