Using old HD in new htpc build
I just built one of Eskro's level 7 builds, the one with the a8 processor. It's nice! I'm having trouble with my hard drives though.

I bought a 32gb SSD and installed win 7 on it, and I was hoping to pop in my old WD green storage drive from my old htpc (popcorn hour a-110). Unfortunately, the new system cannot seem to read the old drive. It's recognized by bios, device manager, and disk management in win 7, but it does not show up in windows explorer.

Disk management lists it as online, healthy, but not active. The option to make it active is greyed out.

How can I get this old drive to work in my new system (without reformatting it -I don't want to lose all my media!)? Or is there another way people generally access old data in new systems?

Thanks for any help.
alexbo Wrote:I just built one of Eskro's level 7 builds, the one with the a8 processor. It's nice! I'm having trouble with my hard drives though.

I bought a 32gb SSD and installed win 7 on it, and I was hoping to pop in my old WD green storage drive from my old htpc (popcorn hour a-110). Unfortunately, the new system cannot seem to read the old drive. It's recognized by bios, device manager, and disk management in win 7, but it does not show up in windows explorer.

Disk management lists it as online, healthy, but not active. The option to make it active is greyed out.

How can I get this old drive to work in my new system (without reformatting it -I don't want to lose all my media!)? Or is there another way people generally access old data in new systems?

Thanks for any help.

Would be nice of you to write full specs here - Smile.

When you say "active" you think of option "mark partition as active", if so don't bother.
When you look at your HD in disk management is there a drive letter assigned to it like (DSmile if there is none explorer can't see it - so you should assign one, just right click and go to option change drive letter and paths + click add and select one. You should now see your HDD through explorer
No drive letter assigned, and the option to assign one doesn't seem to work. I think I learned in another thread that the problem is that Win-7 can't read ext3 file system ,which is what my PCH formatted the drive to be. Rather than wrestle with 3rd party drivers (non really exist that work), I'm just going to have to reformat the drive. That means I have to transfer ALL the data all the way off, then all the way back on again. Ugh...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using old HD in new htpc build0