WiFi/RF XBMC Remote Solution
I'm exploring options for the best XBMC Remote setup that minimizes the use of IR (because it's annoying) and relies more heavily on RF or WiFi.

My current remote is the Logitech Harmony for Xbox 360. I'm on my second unit as they deteriorate over time with use. Overall, great remote, just soley relies on IR.

After coming across this XBMC remote app for iOS and the Official remote app for Android, I'm convinced I'd like to use something like that for functionality. The problem is that this app does not control my TV, receiver, or Xbox 360. As a result, I have been testing a few options over the last few weeks.

1. Redeye Mini - purchased and didn't like the Redeye software. Requires complete custom setup for button layout, etc and lacks the true XBMC Remote App functionality.

2. Logitech Harmony Link - easy setup and use, but sends IR commands to everything (including XBMC), so it really isn't a change from my previous harmony remote. It's not controlled by an iPod Touch. I'd consider keeping this if there were a way to interact the app quickly between the Harmony Link app and the XBMC Remote app (thinking of those less technically inclined that I live with). Is this possible? Anyone know of a workaround?

3. Motorola Nyxboard Hybrid - I ordered one, but haven't received it yet. It sounds like this may be the best of both worlds, but I'm assuming this doesn't have the "activities" function of the previous options. Therefore requiring the user to manually turn the TV to HDMI 1, etc. Will update once I get this.

4. USB - CEC Adapter - Haven't ordered this, but I find it interesting. It seems like this would almost do everything I'm looking for, but would require all of my hardware to support it. My TV will, but my Pioneer Elite VSX-90TXV doesn't appear to support it. Neither would the Xbox 360, therefore still requires a separate remote.

Are there any other options that would allow me to have rich control of XBMC (i.e. the iOS/Android apps) but also control my TV, Receiver, & Xbox 360?
Have look at demopad
http://www.demopad.com/
Optoma HD Projector, Panasonic TX-P65VT65 Plasma, Pioneer SC2023 AVR, Kef Q65 main, iQ8ds rear, XQ2C centre, XBOX 360 Elite, Samsung LE40C650, SKY HD, Lutron Lighting, Crestron AV2 control

(Server)CPU - AMD Phenom ii 560, MB - M4A78LT-M, 32GB Corsair SSD, 4GB Corsair DDR3, 6x 1.5TB HDD's

XBMC Clients x2 (DSPlayer)
Are you running windows? I ask because you can run eventghost; then with an IR blaster or RF Blaster can control pretty much anything from anywhere with any remote control you want! including ios and android!
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
Lunatixz Wrote:Are you running windows? I ask because you can run eventghost; then with an IR blaster or RF Blaster can control pretty much anything from anywhere with any remote control you want! including ios and android!

I'm running Openelec and XBMCLive. It's really starting to sound like the best solution will be the Nyxboard. And occasionally use the iOS/Android app after everything is on.

I just wish the XBMC App could control everything else.
ziptbm Wrote:I'm running Openelec and XBMCLive. It's really starting to sound like the best solution will be the Nyxboard. And occasionally use the iOS/Android app after everything is on.

I just wish the XBMC App could control everything else.

Yeah would be nice if app controlled everything... Check back with your thoughts on the Nyxboard... I was thinking about getting one but looks a little bulky!
have you try Flirc with your TV remote? It seem to work fine for me. Just a thought
rhino Wrote:have you try Flirc with your TV remote? It seem to work fine for me. Just a thought

Funny, I was just looking at the webpage yesterday... what is it exactly just a IR USB Dongle?

I use eventghost with a IR blaster... couldn't be more happy! I can use any remote I want just have to map the keys and then i'm set...
A good alternative is the conceptronic lounge n look remote or clones (CLLRCMCE). It is an RF remote, good buttons, good build, I like the looks and I get 10m range. Been using it for 2years and have changed the batteries once.

Is is supported by openelec out of the box.
I use this V210 below, Actually have 3 of them. I purchased all the tablets for under $300. A single tablet can run between 50 to 300 depending on the day, but these tablets when new were about 2k.

I built a webaddon using Dreamweaver, which I did post for everyone who wants it.

There are deals on ebay which include IR software, Card and the tablet. I saw an auction the other day and it sold for 75 bucks with IR card and software.

I personally do not use IR/RF I am over this tech and its old school to me plus lets not talk about the distance limitations. All is controlled via wifi and tv and amp control is done using a webserver in eventghost. This allows me to control the tv, amp, and pc through wifi as well as design my own icons and buttons that I want and need. It is very very easy to setup a page just to control XBMC. Also I can control all of the XBMC clients in the house with one tablet, or from any of the three in the house.

I know some will snicker, but Id rather have something like this than a remote ir control that costs 300 and it still has issues or is a pain to setup.

Look at my home automation posts and you will see the custom pages I built for my home. IMO I would never go back to a standard or universal remote....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WiFi/RF XBMC Remote Solution0