Pop/crackle on play/pause with Core i3-3225
Hi,

I'm running XBMC 12.1 on Ubuntu 12.10. The machine is a Shuttle XH61V with a Core i3-3225. Everything is working great except that there is a rather loud pop/crackle noise every time I stop or play a video or song. I'm using direct HDMI out.

I've heard about this problem on Raspberry Pi but not on other machines.

Any ideas?
Could you have a look here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file/Easy
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Here you go, if it helps: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=12950
Disable the option 'boost volume level on downmix' under System settings>system>audio output. This took care of mine.
Unfortunately, mine is the same regardless of that option Sad
I have a little theory that this is caused by audio format changes but I should XBMC be able to change formats without popping? It doesn't seem to be XBMC related, really.

Maybe it's got something to do with the TV itself? When I used it with my MacBook Pro, I did not get these pops. But there I used Core Audio, on the other hand.
On the video side: disable vdpau and only keep your intel active (has nothing to do with the audio)
Try to go to System -> Music and disable the replaygain settings.

If it is the TV, try the following:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<audio>
<streamsilence>1</streamsilence>
<resample>48000</resample>
</audio>
</advancedsettings>

to a new advancedsettings.xml in ~/.xbmc/userdata/

You can try first without the resample and again with it afterwards. If all of this does not help, try to remove pulseaudio (sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio libasound2-plugins libasound2-plugins:i386).
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Unfortunately, neither of these worked. I also tried adding the option powersave=0 to the snd_hda_intel kernel module with no success.

When I boot Ubuntu, I hear this noise at startup as well which seems to indicate that the problem is not XBMC specific.
Today, I tried both XBMCBuntu and OpenELEC and the problem was exactly the same so it seems to be something with the driver or perhaps the TV combined with the HD4000 or something.
I seem to have solved the problem by telling XBMC that my TV doesn't support AC3. It really does support it but if it's disabled, XBMC seems to never reset the audio driver (or whatever it does).

That'll probably not be an elegant solution if I get a better sound system with a receiver but in that case, I'm hoping the receiver won't suffer from the same popping noises together with this setup.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pop/crackle on play/pause with Core i3-32250