XBMC semi-crash on playing
I added a new source for the slideshows and animations I have made and will make. The animations that i'm testing in it right now are 1920x1080 and are in AVI. When i try to play them in XBMC, i select the video, the screen goes blank as it would when it normally would start to play, but then it hangs for a bit then goes back tot eh file listing. I tried rescanning the material, and it still does the same thing. The AVIs were encoded with the Cinepak codec. Now I tried playing this is Plex desktop for comparison, and they played fine through that. So what could be the issue with XBMC? Thanks
Run MediaInfo on the file and tell us what it says.
Ok, here you go:

Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging, and restart XBMC then wait a minute or two for all the startup tasks to finish. Play one of the problem films and when it fails to play close XBMC

Open the debug log by pressing Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into http://pastebin.com/ and post the link it gives you here.

JR
Alright, here you go:

http://pastebin.com/nThv3Dpu
It looks as if XBMC is failing to decode the file. I'm not familiar with the cinepak codec. Maybe XBMC's (well, ffmpeg's) cinepak support isn't all it could be. It looks like quite a small file, or at least XBMC seems to think it's only 30 seconds long. If you can upload the file somewhere I'll download it and try it here.

JR
Yea surely, I can't upload the 30 second one since Mediafire only goes up to 200MBs, but I did one of the other ones, which is slightly shorter:

http://www.mediafire.com/?0z6jbj4gd8acrrx
The video plays in VLC, but XBMC just gives up. I suspect the version of ffmpeg used in XBMC doesn't support playback of cinepak.

JR
Alright that's cool, I'll just convert it then. Which would be the best format, or codec to use when encoding?
h.264 High Profile?
I was watching Alien last night and fell asleep. I woke up this morning to a BSoD. Should I also run Mediainfo on my file and make my own post with the results?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
I don't remember seeing H.264 in the program, but i know that's an option in Adobe Premiere Pro which encodes to an MP4, so i'll probably use that. Thanks
mknabster Wrote:I don't remember seeing H.264 in the program, but i know that's an option in Adobe Premiere Pro which encodes to an MP4, so i'll probably use that. Thanks

Careful! MP4 is a container format not a video format. You might end up with an mp4 containing the same cinepak encoded stream.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC semi-crash on playing0