Is Language file stored in memory?
Did some skin modifications + changed some strings in english/string.xml and then suddenly everything broke, so i reverted all changes, and it remains broke.

Even if i try disable the skin and re enable it, everything remains, only if i change language to another language the issue is solved.

My question, is xbmc caching the string.xml somehow? Cause that's the only thing i can come to think of that might be causing this.

Thanks for reply.
If you make changes you need to reload your skin or restart xbmc...
That's the only way changes are recognized...

mm
- - - Tribute to Metallica - - -
If I managed to help you, please click my reputation
No, i don't get it....

It loads data from elsewhere.

Lets say i modify usr/share/xbmc/addons/skin.confluence/*

It will load the new settings, only one time, then it's static.

No matter what i change, it won't matter.

Only way for me to get around it is to reinstall everything.

Same goes for the language files, i can replace every string in the language i am using now with random junk, and the skin will still not display it.

It's clearly caching everything somewhere, but i don't know where. It's not /Thumbnails, and it's not /Cache in the home/xbmc/userdata folder.

Someone into skinning must know this.

Needless to say ive started xbmc so many times i cant even count, and turned it of for 8 hours during night, it's not cached in the memory.
dke1 Wrote:No, i don't get it....

It loads data from elsewhere.

Lets say i modify usr/share/xbmc/addons/skin.confluence/*

It will load the new settings, only one time, then it's static.

No matter what i change, it won't matter.

Only way for me to get around it is to reinstall everything.

Same goes for the language files, i can replace every string in the language i am using now with random junk, and the skin will still not display it.

It's clearly caching everything somewhere, but i don't know where. It's not /Thumbnails, and it's not /Cache in the home/xbmc/userdata folder.

Someone into skinning must know this.

Needless to say ive started xbmc so many times i cant even count, and turned it of for 8 hours during night, it's not cached in the memory.

This behaviour is quite strange...
There is no cache or something similar to that...
If you change the string and you have the appropriate permission to do so, then reloading the skin is sufficient for XBMC to apply the changes...
You might check your permission and paste a debug log on pastebin so that we have more information about this...

mm
Doesn't look like a permission issue, i have been using the user root to modify content in usr/share/xbmc/*

but looking in the ftp window all files are already owned by root/root by default in this location anyway.

not sure what's going on, but everything gets cached, even the language.

ill check the logs i guess, sorta busy now just very surprised at this, i've reinstalled twice and the behavior stays.

EDIT: Actually the content i am trying to change at the moment, might not be in the language files, it may perhaps be a image, but i cant find it.

What i want to change is this: see picture Image

any idea where this data is stored? i want to change it to "browse"

it looked to me like it was stored in language/english/string.xml by default and i changed everything that was called music to browse, yet it remains music.
Did you edit both the language files, one for the skin and another belonging to XBMC itself ?
Noli illegitimi carborundum

The label is
Code:
<string id="31022">Music - Files</string>
in English/strings.xml...

The graphic behind it is header.png...the gfx is in the texture.xbt file compressed in /media...

You may use uncompressed graphics from Jezz github page...

mm

PS: You uploaded the log file?
Mudislander Wrote:Did you edit both the language files, one for the skin and another belonging to XBMC itself ?

Oh wow, i didn't realize there was a language file in the skin folder, how can i have missed this, will try once again when i get home, damn... i blame to much caffeine!

Will post log (if necessary) when available, pretty sure it's just me missing the fact that there's a language file for the skin lol, no wonder.

Thank you.
dke1 Wrote:Oh wow, i didn't realize there was a language file in the skin folder, how can i have missed this

Ouh...thought you were talking about this file as you mentioned
a) usr/share/xbmc/addons/skin.confluence/*
and
b) language/english/string.xml

Hard to find the issue...

Good catch mudislander...

mm
Yep no issue now, i cant believe i missed that lang folder :/

I think i may have even mixed them up accidentally uploading string.xml from /language/english/string.xml to /addons/skin.confluence/language/english/string.xml no wonder things broke lol.

Anyway it's working now

I just have one problem, i'm trying to find the xml file which confluence uses to display the "playing music" information in the bottom left corner when in file browser view: see this image.

For some reason it only shows (time) track name, and no track artist.

Would be cool to display the track artist right above the other information below it or something.

I can't figure out where it's located since i don't have any string.xml label id to go by.

Any ideas? Also thanks for the help guys, always appreciated!
dke1 Wrote:For some reason it only shows (time) track name, and no track artist.

Would be cool to display the track artist right above the other information below it or something.

I can't figure out where it's located since i don't have any string.xml label id to go by.

It's located in includes.xml...
Starting with
Code:
<include name="CommonNowPlaying">

I checked my include and it should already display the artist...
You may find the following line inside the include:
Code:
<label>$INFO[MusicPlayer.Artist]$INFO[MusicPlayer.Album, - ]</label>

cheers,
mad-max

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is Language file stored in memory?0