Access to README.txt from within plugin
did this ever go somewhere
(2012-10-12, 13:10)Robotica Wrote: did this ever go somewhere

Like this (but then with a readme.txt)?
Same code are there already was available

Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
thnx.. Does it mean addon makers, skinners and translators can make this multilangual already also?
That doesn't really address the original post though. Online (as in, within XBMC) documentation, for addons and in general, is really what's needed. And it needs to be accessible from a well-defined location rather than leaving that up to addon authors so people can actually find it. This is a lot of work, obviously, but...

...merely adding a link to the README.txt file in the addon installation screen and in the addon's context menu would be a good start and obviously a lot less complicated than a full-blown help system. Judging from my experience helping others set up XBMC, the "average joe" tends to just avoid addons that don't work immediately without any configuration.
(2012-10-12, 13:29)Robotica Wrote: thnx.. Does it mean addon makers, skinners and translators can make this multilangual already also?

if they want. just requires some careful thinking but they can already do that
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-10-12, 13:31)jingai Wrote: That doesn't really address the original post though. Online (as in, within XBMC) documentation, for addons and in general, is really what's needed. And it needs to be accessible from a well-defined location rather than leaving that up to addon authors so people can actually find it. This is a lot of work, obviously, but...

...merely adding a link to the README.txt file in the addon installation screen and in the addon's context menu would be a good start and obviously a lot less complicated than a full-blown help system. Judging from my experience helping others set up XBMC, the "average joe" tends to just avoid addons that don't work immediately without any configuration.

Maybe alanwww should have a look at the translation part of it... The code to provide this feature is more or less already available. The rest is 1 time setup and organisation, mostly for addon creators.
I jsut wrote a simple function to detect if a particular version has been run before (I save a runtoken in the addon_data) - if not, I open a window with any important notes, then they just exit and re-run the addon. Crude but it mean you can make people read something the first time they run the addon pretty effectively...

(see xsqueeze below if you want to use this)

You could use standard mechanisms to make it multilingual I guess
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Access to README.txt from within plugin0