cant choose surround decoder with receiver
I have a 7.1 ch setup that i use with a yamaha v667 receiver. I'm used to using "straight" sound" to get the typical 5.1 surround. Lately i've been trying to get my receiver to output 5.1 mixes to 7.1 using PLX IIx. However the problem is that XBMC wont let me change the surround decoder to PLX II on my receiver.

If i uncheck "DTS capable receiver" and "Dolby digital capable receiver" then the receiver allows for surround decoder customization, and i can get the full 7.1 ch audio. Only problem is the subwoofer does not activate when these settings are applied.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work?
This XBMC "XBMC Beta3 + HD-Audio + Global AV Delay" with patches (compiled by DDDamian) should allow you to do 7.1 with DTS-HD/TrueHD too!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
nezz621 Wrote:I have a 7.1 ch setup that i use with a yamaha v667 receiver. I'm used to using "straight" sound" to get the typical 5.1 surround. Lately i've been trying to get my receiver to output 5.1 mixes to 7.1 using PLX IIx. However the problem is that XBMC wont let me change the surround decoder to PLX II on my receiver.

If i uncheck "DTS capable receiver" and "Dolby digital capable receiver" then the receiver allows for surround decoder customization, and i can get the full 7.1 ch audio. Only problem is the subwoofer does not activate when these settings are applied.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work?

You need to study your receiver manual a bit too. XBMC can't "stop" your receiver from doing anything. I routinely use PLIIx to upmix or matrix 5.1 to 7.1 regardless of whether the signal is passthough or decoded to LPCM.

Also, if the receiver is set up correctly it will direct any low-frequency audio to the subwoofer, usually at a setting of your choice from perhaps 60hz to 150hz. It's part of bass management in any decent receiver.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
hello,

In Yamaha receivers applying PLIIx Movie is called "Extended Surround" when it comes to upmixing 5.1 to 7.1. It has nothing to do with XBMC.

Check your Yamaha AVR manual and search for "Extended Surround" and apply it to your material and choose PLIIx Movie better than PLIIx Music.
Dullie Wrote:hello,

In Yamaha receivers applying PLIIx Movie is called "Extended Surround" when it comes to upmixing 5.1 to 7.1. It has nothing to do with XBMC.

Check your Yamaha AVR manual and search for "Extended Surround" and apply it to your material and choose PLIIx Movie better than PLIIx Music.

tried that but it wont let me choose surround decoder for plx movie. When XBMC is not running i can select any option on the receiver that i want, including the extended surround modes, but when xbmc plays, it wont allow me to select these settings. Weird....
Actually the receiver wont let me use extended surround for VLC player either.

not sure if this helps narrow down the problem
nezz621 Wrote:tried that but it wont let me choose surround decoder for plx movie. When XBMC is not running i can select any option on the receiver that i want, including the extended surround modes, but when xbmc plays, it wont allow me to select these settings. Weird....
Have you try this- "XBMC Beta3 + HD-Audio + Global AV Delay"?

Configure audio output as shown below:

bluray Wrote:Have you try this- "XBMC Beta3 + HD-Audio + Global AV Delay"?

I tried that but same issue. I dont think its a xbmc issue, i think it has something to do with my yamaha receiver or windows 7.

On another note, i installed the Beta 3 version of XBMC and it works nicely.

Question though... when i press "o" on the keyboard it now displays the auido as DTS MA HD or "DTS ES" as opposed to my old version pof XBMC which just showed the audio as "DTS 5.1". So is this how i tell the HD Audio is working?
What does your receiver say?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
DDDamian Wrote:What does your receiver say?

it shows "direct" and when i try and choose Plx Movie it wont allow me to select it.
VVV see below VVV
Okay, we're fishing here. Need Windows audio settings, sound card type/driver date. If you're sending DTS-MA your receiver should definitely not be saying "Direct"

1) Give the info above.

2) Confirm your audio setup is the same as what bluray posted in the pic.

3) Play a movie that you *know* has a DTS-MA audio stream.

3) Post a debug log.
nezz621 Wrote:I tried that but same issue. I dont think its a xbmc issue, i think it has something to do with my yamaha receiver or windows 7.

On another note, i installed the Beta 3 version of XBMC and it works nicely.

Question though... when i press "o" on the keyboard it now displays the auido as DTS MA HD or "DTS ES" as opposed to my old version pof XBMC which just showed the audio as "DTS 5.1". So is this how i tell the HD Audio is working?
Let me ask you these questions- What is your GPU? What is the model of your Yamaha AVR?
DDDamian Wrote:Okay, we're fishing here. Need Windows audio settings, sound card type/driver date. If you're sending DTS-MA your receiver should definitely not be saying "Direct"

1) Give the info above.

2) Confirm your audio setup is the same as what bluray posted in the pic.

3) Play a movie that you *know* has a DTS-MA audio stream.

3) Post a debug log.

Receiver: Yamaha v667
Windows 7 Ultimate
ATI radeon 5670 (drivers are updated)
Motherboard: PCchipps p43g
AMD HDMI Output for my windows sound mixer... (not sure if this means anything)

Not sure how to post a debug log. But to clarify my mistake, My Receiver says "Straight" not "direct" when playing movies

Sorry for the mix up.

Also, my biggest concern is not the HD audio problem, its the fact that i cant go from 5.1 to 7.1 with a 5.1 ch source.

Also, thanks for the suggestions so far. Regardless of the hasssles i've had with XBMC, it is an amazing program Smile
nezz621 Wrote:Receiver: Yamaha v667
Windows 7 Ultimate
ATI radeon 5670 (drivers are updated)
Motherboard: PCchipps p43g
AMD HDMI Output for my windows sound mixer... (not sure if this means anything)
You should be able to bitstreaming all audio codecs with your Yamaha AVR. Did you downloaded the latest 12.1 driver for your HD5670 from here- AMD Radeon™ Video Card Drivers?

Make sure that it is setup similar to my screen shots below in W7 control panel-

Do these for XBMC-
Download- "XBMC Beta3 + HD-Audio + Global AV Delay"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
cant choose surround decoder with receiver0