Two sessions: one XBMC, one remote desktop?
Hello there,

I have a computer that, among other things runs XBMC too. But I am switching from Windows to Linux because I want to achieve this: on the TV (which is the only display and it's connected via HDMI) I want to run XBMC in full screen and undisturbed. At the same time I want to have a full desktop to connect remotely too.

Is this possible? How?

Thanks!

PS: I've searched around but only found examples of two hardware displays.
There're hacks for Windows that allow this (ie, connect remotely on one session; whilst another session runs console).
Does require two separate usernames, though...

The hack just stops the console session (running XBMC) from being stalled whilst you remote on another username.
kreeturez, you're saying that I could run XBMC on a console session while connecting remotely to a second one without putting the first on the logon screen? I know this is possible on a server Windows, but... for whatever reason I believe that ubuntu would be less resources hungry, leaving more for XBMC.

Thanks!
(2013-08-15, 19:22)loft Wrote: kreeturez, you're saying that I could run XBMC on a console session while connecting remotely to a second one without putting the first on the logon screen?

Yup exactly. Concurrent Remote Desktop connections, basically; for Windows 7.
(2013-08-15, 19:22)loft Wrote: kreeturez, you're saying that I could run XBMC on a console session while connecting remotely to a second one without putting the first on the logon screen? I know this is possible on a server Windows, but... for whatever reason I believe that ubuntu would be less resources hungry, leaving more for XBMC.

Thanks!

You can do this with Ubuntu too.....I do it every day. Have a look at X2Go http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Two sessions: one XBMC, one remote desktop?0