Best Backend for TV on XBMC
Mediaportal is my backend of choice. It works pretty well, better with the new Eden PVR builds. I had it working all on one machine, it does need a little horsepower though. I tried it on an Atom and quickly pegged the CPU with only one recording (and that was coming from a HD Homerun).

Was the ccam your only issue?
eheh, yeah, the great WAF Wink I know ...

I'm using XBMC+TVHeadend on a single machine, it's awesome fast (with Xubuntu boot times less 30 sec from cold start) .. if you want to use mediaportal on a single machine you'll have to use windows - which as mentioned before is not that ressource-efficent like a linux based system ..

Yesterday I managed to activate oscam (same machine) for watching my pay tv stuff with tvheadend .. CPU ressources 2% while watching tv and recording, 400 MB Ram .. win7 will never reach that Cool

So - setup a Linux machine (even bluray works), setup tvheadend (you get as one package from here: http://packages.pulse-eight.net/ ) or take OpenELEC, install oscam with newcamd protcol (https://launchpad.net/~oscam/+archive/ppa) and have FUN !

And to make your wife happy - buy that: http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/product...apter.aspx Rofl

or/and buy that: Sony PS3 Bluetooth-remote and Logitech Cordless Mediaboard Pro for PS3 ...

If you don't have special wishes - full setup could be done in 1 - 2 hours ..

So long

LastCoder

So long
HTPC Specs: Silverstone GD05B Case, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, i5-3470S, GT1030, 8 GB RAM , 2 TB HDD, iHOS104 BluRay Drive, TT DVBS2-1600, Sony PS3 BD Remote control
PS3 BD Remote Control Daemon for Kodi/Linux
UNCHAINED Demo Group
Thanks again for your responses.

One more question. I am using on board graphics as it's a mini-itx mobo, and I only have 1 pci-e slot (which is taken up by the dvb-s2 tuner). Do I need to install any specific drivers on Xubuntu for the graphics? Or will the stock ones suffice for playing HD channels? Or should I change up to a micro-atx board and install a dedicated graphics card?

Going to have a play this afternoon and hopefully get up to speed....I'm sure there will be more questions fired you way.

USB-CEC is a must buy once I get it all working :-)
in most cases (X)ubuntu runs out of the box .. post your specs (btw with that minimal system Win7 wouldnt make fun) - for HD playing graphics card hardware acceleration support is necessary ...
HTPC Specs: Silverstone GD05B Case, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, i5-3470S, GT1030, 8 GB RAM , 2 TB HDD, iHOS104 BluRay Drive, TT DVBS2-1600, Sony PS3 BD Remote control
UNCHAINED Demo Group
Specs are as follows:

Media PC:
Asus P8H67-I Motherboard
Intel Core i5-2300 CPU
8GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3, PC3-12800 Ram
120GB OCZ Vertex 3, 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Sandforce SSD Hard Drive
TBS6981 Dual DVB-S2 Tuner
Sony BD Drive

NAS:
Synology Diskstation DS411J (4 x 2GB)

SAT:
Vu Plus Duo
DM800HD

I've put sat info as I would like to use one of the receivers to share cards with the media pc.
Nas I would like to record to.

I have installed Xubuntu, but that's it! will try and do some more tomorrow. Unless I get an offer for someone to come to my house and do it all for me? LOL!
I now have TV Headend configured. Have scanned channels etc, not sorted them all yet, but will get around to that.

Can someone please help me, and let me knwo where I can get the pvr build of eden beta 3 for Xubuntu?

Thanks
atm the opdenkamp/pulse-eight builds are still eden beta 2 .. take these ( http://packages.pulse-eight.net/ ) .. I hope they are getting updated soon ..

you have to take tvheadend from that package (it's included !) 'cause the tvheadend version from lonelycoder repository won't work with XBMC PVR Nerd .. don't install hts-tvheadend but tvheadend via apt-get !

if you check "about" tab in tvheadend web-frontend it should show:

HTS Tvheadend 2.12.99~pulse-4

So long

LastCoder
UNCHAINED Demo Group
Thanks again for the info.

When I try to install from the sh file, I get the following error:
Code:
install-xbmc.sh: 29: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

Any ideas?

Thanks
Please ignore my last post. I have stopped being such a retard and found a pulse-eight ppa repo.

Thanks
WOW! I finally have tvheadend setup and XBMC sees the channels....and fta seem to work great (inc HD)

Now for some more help pleeeaaassseee

1. I would like to get epg populated, I'm assuming my only option is radio times, but not sure how. Please could someone help.

2. I would still like to get my paytv working, but really dont have a clue about capmt connections, and camd. I have cccam setup on my vu plus (dreambox equiv) and I have a dreambox which shares the card, to check it works.

Oops. Sorry should have read the rules. Please ignore this question.

Please help if you can

Thanks
Not sure how much can be talked about, but I think TVHeadend supports the Newcamd protocol, might be worth looking down that route.

As I said, we can't exactly talk about these things on here so don't expect too much help or guidance directly!
only warning: stop the discussion about cardsharing (software). please read the sticky.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
Sorry! Won't happen again!
dushmaniac Wrote:only warning: stop the discussion about cardsharing (software). please read the sticky.

I see the forum rules, but I don't understand. Enabling regular paid pay tv smartcards on a media center pc for yourself is not as such as cardsharing directly; it's the same underlying technique but that's it .. nowadays a media center with live tv but without enabling support for scrambled tv is more or less useless ..

If you say it's illegal in most countries .. perhaps .. but in that countries it's illegal too to use DVD players in linux which use libdvdcss or if you enable mp3 media codecs .. a lot of that media codec stuff doesn't care about patents and copyright law in linux .. btw. *lol* that whole "we scrap information" from websites is illegal, "we embed video sources" from websites is illegal too ..

So I guess we could bury this forum by that standards .. Cool

So long

The Coding Lawyer
UNCHAINED Demo Group
indeed, it's not the same, but it's still not legal, even if you pay for it. at least here in europe. and using dvdcss migth be illegal here too.

well, to be honest, I don't really care. this part of the forum is dedicated to PVR development, and if there's something that might not be legal, then it just doesn't belong here. use whatever forum you like to discuss those things, just don't do it here, even if it is fully legal in your country.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Backend for TV on XBMC0