HDMI Audio issue DTS and surround sound (nvidia)?
the problem I am running into is getting proper audio out of XBMC, if I check either DTS capable, or surround sound capable (i think this is what it is) I get an error when playing movies saying audio device failed to initialize. As of right now I have to leave it set to these being unchecked. I have done a driver update for the nvidia HDMI audio and still does not make a difference. Has anyone else come across this issue and have a solution? I really appreciate all the help!
What are you plugged into? Operating system?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
DDDamian Wrote:What are you plugged into? Operating system?

I am running XBMC (Eden Beta 1) Night Skin on Win7, Zotac Zbox ID11, HDMI out to my Onkyo 705 reciever then HDMI out to Samsung TV
navig8r Wrote:I am running XBMC (Eden Beta 1) Night Skin on Win7, Zotac Zbox ID11, HDMI out to my Onkyo 705 reciever then HDMI out to Samsung TV

What are your Windows audio settings? Di they show it can passthrough DD & DTS?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
navig8r Wrote:I am running XBMC (Eden Beta 1) Night Skin on Win7, Zotac Zbox ID11, HDMI out to my Onkyo 705 reciever then HDMI out to Samsung TV
Can you make sure that it is configured as shown below in W7 control panel?

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I have the same set up as you but with an Onkyo TX-NR515 and I do not experience the same problems. It looks like it might be fixed by changing your amp.
bluray Wrote:Can you make sure that it is configured as shown below in W7 control panel?

I think that is where the problem is, I wasn't able to check last night but last time I checked I only had the Stereo option available, not sure why this has happened, everything was fine prior to my updating the nvidia video driver, after that everything went hay wire. I will try and check it again tonight, but if you have any ideas as to why this option would have vanished please let me know. Thanks
jakesterboy Wrote:I have the same set up as you but with an Onkyo TX-NR515 and I do not experience the same problems. It looks like it might be fixed by changing your amp.

Not sure why I would need to change the amp, as I stated above it was all working perfectly until I upgraded my nvidia driver, I had all surround sound options working.
I think you are on the right trail - sounds like either the wrong driver for the card or the install didn't go well. Assuming you're looking at the right device in the Win CP you should see more available passthrough options.
navig8r Wrote:I think that is where the problem is, I wasn't able to check last night but last time I checked I only had the Stereo option available, not sure why this has happened, everything was fine prior to my updating the nvidia video driver, after that everything went hay wire. I will try and check it again tonight, but if you have any ideas as to why this option would have vanished please let me know. Thanks
Make sure that you download it directly from Nvidia website- NVIDIA Driver Downloads.

If that still doesn't work, you can try it with Realtek codeces- High Definition Audio Codecs.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:Make sure that you download it directly from Nvidia website- NVIDIA Driver Downloads.

If that still doesn't work, you can try it with Realtek codeces- High Definition Audio Codecs.

I did download it direct from Nvidia thats why I am at a loss, I will give the realtek codecs a shot. It's very frustrating Confused
I'd remove the device and re-install the nVidia driver.
Hi

Have you checked your screen resolution is a "true HD" resolution 720p, 720i1080p, 1080i etc.? if its anything other than that your audio won't work through the onkyo, i know it happened to me! took me ages to see the obvious!

just a thought, hope it helps.
Manx Viking Wrote:Hi

Have you checked your screen resolution is a "true HD" resolution 720p, 720i1080p, 1080i etc.? if its anything other than that your audio won't work through the onkyo, i know it happened to me! took me ages to see the obvious!

just a thought, hope it helps.

Not sure exactly what you are saying by screen resolution is a True HD? Do you mean on the HTPC? If I set the resolution to (i think) something like 19**X1080 then everything doesn't fit the screen correctly. But if this is the cause I will definetly give this a shot. I am at the point of trying anything right now Big Grin
navig8r Wrote:I am at the point of trying anything right now Big Grin

Be methodical - if you do not see more than stereo listed as an option you are not going to get DD5.1 or DTS bitstreamed through. Bluray's advice is sound, saying "I don't know, what else can I try" isn't very good troubleshooting.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI Audio issue DTS and surround sound (nvidia)?0