HDMI Audio issue DTS and surround sound (nvidia)?
Manx Viking Wrote:Hi

Have you checked your screen resolution is a "true HD" resolution 720p, 720i1080p, 1080i etc.? just a thought, hope it helps.
:confused2:
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
DDDamian Wrote:Be methodical - if you do not see more than stereo listed as an option you are not going to get DD5.1 or DTS bitstreamed through. Bluray's advice is sound, saying "I don't know, what else can I try" isn't very good troubleshooting.

I agree, it makes total sense, that is one of the first things I looked for. But what I could not wrap my head around was WHY the 5.1 and 7.1 options where now gone. Believe me I am taking all advice here, everyone has been great and I appreciate it, I know I can get it to work as it was working prior to the driver updates. I will do more testing and troubling shooting and let everyone know the results.
navig8r Wrote:I agree, it makes total sense, that is one of the first things I looked for. But what I could not wrap my head around was WHY the 5.1 and 7.1 options where now gone. Believe me I am taking all advice here, everyone has been great and I appreciate it, I know I can get it to work as it was working prior to the driver updates. I will do more testing and troubling shooting and let everyone know the results.

Good man - the better the data the more we can help ya here Big Grin

PS your AVR manual is gonna be key here I think. Find or D/L it. I don't know that amp specifically but many won't allow screwing around with Direct modes - things like matrixing 5.1 to 7.1 require DSPs and Direct usually bypasses those.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
DDDamian Wrote:Good man - the better the data the more we can help ya here Big Grin

PS your AVR manual is gonna be key here I think. Find or D/L it. I don't know that amp specifically but many won't allow screwing around with Direct modes - things like matrixing 5.1 to 7.1 require DSPs and Direct usually bypasses those.

Cool, Cool, I have gone through the manual and it didn't seem to help out really, but I will check it again. Nod
DownStairs = Dell Vostro 200 /Core2Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz /5Gb DDR2 Memory /500Gb Sata Hard Drive /Two 2TB Iomega External HD's /Radeon HD2400 Pro with HDMI /XBMC Eden Beta 3 with HD Audio /Onkyo Tx-SR705 7.1 Surround /Samsung PN59D7000 /Harmony One Remote.
Upstairs = Zotac Zbox ID-11/Windows 7/XBMC Eden Beta 3 with HD Audio /1TB External HD /Samsung 32" 1080i.
Hi
sorry, my post was clear to me, i knew what i meant!! Describing the resolution as true hd wasn't very clear, what i meant was on your desktop, right click, go into catalyst control centre. set the screen resolution to 720p if 1280p is too large. that will give you a standard hd resolution which your amp will recognise. I cant see what that resolution actually is, on my phone and no access to media centre at the mo.
it has something to do with HDCP i think. I couldn't get the audio to work originally until i got the desktop resolution sorted.
hope you follow what i mean?Nod
Manx Viking Wrote:Hi
sorry, my post was clear to me, i knew what i meant!! Describing the resolution as true hd wasn't very clear, what i meant was on your desktop, right click, go into catalyst control centre. set the screen resolution to 720p if 1280p is too large. that will give you a standard hd resolution which your amp will recognise. I cant see what that resolution actually is, on my phone and no access to media centre at the mo.
it has something to do with HDCP i think. I couldn't get the audio to work originally until i got the desktop resolution sorted.
hope you follow what i mean?Nod
But we're talking about TrueHD audio codec! :confused2:
DDDamian Wrote:I'd remove the device and re-install the nVidia driver.
+1, I suspected something get corrupted.

If that still don't work, you can give Realtek a try. It included the most audio codecs!
bluray Wrote:But we're talking about TrueHD audio codec! :confused2:

I was under the impression that navig8r was having trouble getting ANY audio, i.e. DD and DTS?
Manx Viking Wrote:I was under the impression that navig8r was having trouble getting ANY audio, i.e. DD and DTS?
Yes, he is but lower the screen resolution to fix audio issue is not making sense.

If he can see the screen to type the reply, I would think his screen resolution is fine!
Ok.
but from my experience using HDMI to an Onkyo amp, if the screen resolution on my htpc were set to any resolution that looked good and filled the screen, i wouldn't get any audio from the amp. nothing. wouldn't even play an mp3.
If i then went into xbmc it would report the same failed to initialise audio.
it was only when i set the desktop resolution to a standard HD resolution that the amp recognised the audio and everything worked fine.
this sounded like the same issue that was happening here. Was just trying to help, sorry if i've clouded the issue.Big Grin
Manx Viking Wrote:Ok.
but from my experience using HDMI to an Onkyo amp, if the screen resolution on my htpc were set to any resolution that looked good and filled the screen, i wouldn't get any audio from the amp. nothing. wouldn't even play an mp3.
If i then went into xbmc it would report the same failed to initialise audio.
it was only when i set the desktop resolution to a standard HD resolution that the amp recognised the audio and everything worked fine.
this sounded like the same issue that was happening here. Was just trying to help, sorry if i've clouded the issue.Big Grin
You're fine. It seems that your Onkyo is try to upscale/downscale video then. Whenever I connected HTPC, bluray player, PS3, XBOX 360 Kinect, etc. to my AVR (Onkyo), I set it to pass-thru video. HTPC, bluray player, PS3, XBOX 360 Kinect, etc and HDTV are cable of processing video better than most AVR.

If you haven't set your Onkyo to pass-thru video, I'm suggesting to do so!
Hey everyone....so I got home pretty late last night so I didn't really get a chance to try all the suggestions, I did however install the Realtek codecs and that did nothing. hopefully this weekend I will have more time to mess around with it and get it all squared away
DownStairs = Dell Vostro 200 /Core2Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz /5Gb DDR2 Memory /500Gb Sata Hard Drive /Two 2TB Iomega External HD's /Radeon HD2400 Pro with HDMI /XBMC Eden Beta 3 with HD Audio /Onkyo Tx-SR705 7.1 Surround /Samsung PN59D7000 /Harmony One Remote.
Upstairs = Zotac Zbox ID-11/Windows 7/XBMC Eden Beta 3 with HD Audio /1TB External HD /Samsung 32" 1080i.
navig8r Wrote:Hey everyone....so I got home pretty late last night so I didn't really get a chance to try all the suggestions, I did however install the Realtek codecs and that did nothing. hopefully this weekend I will have more time to mess around with it and get it all squared away
Is it possible that you have a crappy HDMI cable between your HTPC and Onkyo? It might be worth it to try another HDMI cable, and make sure to select the proper HDMI input in your Onkyo too!
bluray Wrote:Is it possible that you have a crappy HDMI cable between your HTPC and Onkyo? It might be worth it to try another HDMI cable, and make sure to select the proper HDMI input in your Onkyo too!
That was one of the first things I checked, swap them out and tested on other things (2 diff PS3's). Also tried multiple HDMI inputs on the receiver.

I think I will try and remove the nvidia card in control panel (not physically) and reinstall it nad go from there.
navig8r Wrote:That was one of the first things I checked, swap them out and tested on other things (2 diff PS3's). Also tried multiple HDMI inputs on the receiver.

I think I will try and remove the nvidia card in control panel (not physically) and reinstall it nad go from there.

Yep - then re-check your Windows audio settings. Post screenshots of those if you're still stuck. Need definitive feedback here or we're all whistling dixie.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI Audio issue DTS and surround sound (nvidia)?0