Questions about HDHomeRun Prime and XBMC
I've just ordered my equipment and I have a lot to learn about how this is going to work. I'm wondering if some people can answer some basic questions for me:

I am dealing with the following two systems:
Server running Ubuntu 11.10
AMD Phenom quad-core
8GB Ram
nVidia GT 430
RAID Array
XBMC pre-eden Beta 3

XBMC-Live install
Zotac HD-ID11 Atom/Ion system

The server is used as the HTPC on my primary TV, it has the SQL database running and is sharing that with the Live install which will be on the second TV.

So I plan on installing some PVR software on the server, and I'm wondering if it's also needed on the Live install. My questions are the following:

1. Will the recorded shows be thrown into the regular database, or are they listed separately? If they are in the same database, I assume they will be accessible to the second computer also.
2. Do I need a full PVR setup on the second computer for it to also access live TV?
3. How does the HDHomeRun Prime know what streams are being recorded by one system while another is trying to watch live TV?
4. Is there a single, up-to-date source for telling me how to get the PVR set up with Eden, or is that even possible at the moment?

Thanks much for any help.
1. Right now, your backend would take care of the recording. Since you don't mention which backend you are using, I'll just say, your recording will be wherever you tell them to go via configuration of your backend. If you add a source to those and name them correctly, it's possible that XBMC can import them. Using a shared library, they would then appear on both clients.
2. Just a PVR enabled client configured to access your backend.
3. It doesn't. Your backend will control the Prime.
4. PVR is not part of Eden. It's a separate branch on a separate track. It works, but it's still beta... Alpha might be a better description.

As an aside, does the HDHomerun Prime now decrypt encrypted channels on systems other than Windows Media Centrer? Last I heard, it didn't. WMC can't be used as a backend I don't think.
I haven't decided on a backend yet, still trying to figure out what's best for my setup. I've seen people talking about using the Prime with XBMC so I figured it'd work, and from what I saw at their site it they claim to support linux, I would hope it'd work on encrypted channels also, otherwise I'm going to have to return that.
Support is there... I think it's a legality/licensing issue ($$$$) and DRMd channels can't be exposed. ClearQAM is ok, but you don't need the prime for those. Centon capture cards are in the same boat I believe.

Until cable card works as it should in backends other than WMC, I'm not putting a horse in that race. I do like the SiliconDust products though.
Well I got the Prime set up, I used WMC to get it configured at first as there were clear instructions there on activation. I then tracked down instructions and a script to generate strm files on my linux box. So now XBMC can view those and I can watch live TV. I have the lowest level of HD service from FiOS so I don't have any of the extra protected channels to worry about. At least that all works out.
How did you get the strm files? I cant get any =(

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Questions about HDHomeRun Prime and XBMC0