Alienware x51 + XBMC
Smile 
Hey all i just wanted to let people know about my experience of the Alienware x51 as my HTPC.

So i know, i know who needs that much power for an HTPC...to be honest i liked the case and with all the issues with the ITX7, and HTPC-FC8-OD i just didn't want to deal with it.

Specs
CPU: i5-2320 3.0Ghz
Ram: 8GB 1333Mhz
Video: GTX 555 Deseret
PSU: 330watts
Other Features: Wireless-N, Intel 320 160GB SSD, Slot load Blu-Ray Reader
Connections: SPDIF Coax, SPDIF TOSLINK, USB 3

Noise: This was my return condition, and i am ecstatic with how quiet this unit is with my use case. There is no noise while watching 1080p content no matter if it is on disc or ripped media. With that said it can be loud if you decide to play any GPU intensive game...but that is not my use case. (need to test 3d content but it was late)

Case: i wasn't expecting this to be as large as it is. i would compare it to a gen 1 PS3 but designed much better. also if i ever wanted i could replace everything including the PSU with out much hassle as i love this case..even though it has a larger footprint and is not aluminum.

Heat: Unit is cool for anything that is not GPU intensive gaming.

Performance: There are no performance issues other than Eden crashing randomly, when i go back to 10.1 no issues whatsoever.

Price: This computer was spec'd out at around 1000 dollars which is pricey i wont lie but it is not just a HTPC. when looking at the price i was planning on paying i spent about 300 dollars more but i got a BD player and an SSD.

If you guys have any questions...but i just wanted to give my experience. i will post pics if people are interested.
I ordered the i7 version and just waiting for it to be shipped.
What are you using as the remote control?
Can you recommend a certain control setup?
How do you have it hooked up to your display unit?
Does it run 3D video?

Thanks
Brian
brisal73 Wrote:I ordered the i7 version and just waiting for it to be shipped.
What are you using as the remote control?
Can you recommend a certain control setup?
Does it run 3D video?

Thanks
Brian

I use 2 remotes, my trusty 360 remote as i find it farm more useful than anything else, and a diNovo mini

it is connected over VGA(18pin) i tried the HDMI wanted to use the discrete video card since the HDMI

yes it will run both blu-ray 3d and a ripped blu-ray without any hiccups.

honestly if someone has disposable income the system is really nice...i ready there are some issue with the PSU but i have yet to see that issue and i have had my on no reboot/suspend/sleep since my first post.
So what are your feelings with this pc?

Is it noisy for a htpc use?

I would like to buy the i7 version but I'm afraid of noise.
(2012-03-22, 19:09)wolfodeiwolfy Wrote: So what are your feelings with this pc?

Is it noisy for a htpc use?

I would like to buy the i7 version but I'm afraid of noise.

Quote:Noise: This was my return condition, and i am ecstatic with how quiet this unit is with my use case. There is no noise while watching 1080p content no matter if it is on disc or ripped media. With that said it can be loud if you decide to play any GPU intensive game...but that is not my use case. (need to test 3d content but it was late)

Does it run 3D video?

I would like to buy the i7 version, If I need it, I contract you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You have to believe in yourself beats by dre cheap. That's the secret of success.
any others decide to go this route? i was thinking about it since it seems like a decent size, don't have to do much for it, and it looks like it can be upgraded in the future.
I pretty much decided to go this route, but since my wedding is round the corner, i'll have to postpone this purchase to around end of the year.
im going for the i5 version though.

Im currently using a core 2 duo hp elitebook as a htpc, but i must say it runs extremely hot even during idle.
So update, the thing has been on without restart since i initially posted. i was using Eden beta but yesterday upgraded to the Final build which solved a problem i was having (nothing hardware related)

The system is fast it can handle 3d just fine with stereoscopic player with 3d vision enabled (i7 is too much power stick with the i5...there is no need for the i7). as far as the noise...it is quiet as a mouse when playing videos(2D/3D) however the fan speeds up when i play games like BF3 or Skyrim...but that is to be expected.

thanks for your reply I think my credit card will burn very soon!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Alienware x51 + XBMC0