Looking for some ITX Cooling Advice
Below is my intended spec, I've read that it is reasonably easy to replace the original case fan with a near silent fan, which I intend to do.

Case- Antec ISK 300 - 150 Mini ITX Case
Mobo- ASRock A75M-ITX
CPU- AMD A6-Series A6-3500

However what has stumped me thus far is picking a CPU cooler..

Does anyone have any experience with this particular case? Not sure if I can get away with a passive solution in this case, if not will be looking for one of the quietest coolers I can lay my hands on.

Any suggestions/advice, please do chime in! :-)
about your case, read up on this post i made here
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=935945&postcount=1
the point is? a %100 fanLess zero noise PSU at hand!!

as far as cooling goes,
if u plan on getting a new CPU cooler,
i'd simply get rid of the extra case fan,,,,
your temps will still be perfectly fine!
Cheers for the speedy reply and thank you for the link, hadn't found that when searching. My only issue unfortunately is I already have the ISK300-150 sitting in front of me, if only I saw that thread earlier! Never mind, not much I can do now - will have to see how much noise it makes once I've got it built!

Thanks for the advice re case fan, will certainly try it without when I get it up and running :-)

The only reason I'm in the market for a CPU cooler is I opted for an OEM version of the CPU.

I've read online that any AM2/AM3 cooler will fit an FM1 CPU, but my concern is space since it is such a small case. Was hoping someone may have used this case in their own build and have a suggestion for a specific cooler which fits!
Is the original case fan not "near quiet"??

Antec are usually good at that, they getting sloppy? Rolleyes
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
Orclas Wrote:Is the original case fan not "near quiet"??

Antec are usually good at that, they getting sloppy? Rolleyes

I have to admit I can't comment on the original fans, as I haven't built it yet! Still waiting on last few components to arrive, plus the cpu cooler which I haven't even ordered yet!

Will post back with my experiences once it is up and running ;-)
my ANTEC triCOOL fans are a bit nerve racking... even at low speed...

for the FM1 cooler, check my HTPC guide for them....
Having checked out your guide I've decided to take the plunge and go for the Scythe SCKZT-1000.

Thanks for all your pointers, very much appreciated!

Will post back once I've got it built and let you know how it went :-)
right on!
I don't know if you've ordered the cooler or not but I'm using the same mobo with a Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm Shuriken Rev. B cooler in a 2U rack case with no clearance issues. The reason I went with the Shuriken over the Kozuti is because the Shuriken has a larger heatsink and the fan is replaceable if needed. Just my 2 cents.
I threw two 40mm fractal design case fans in my mini-itx case and it's definitely not near-quiet but it is relatively low noise and I cannot hear anything over my media.
Eskro, since you seem most knowledgable about these things will the ISK300-150 offer up enough power for a a6-3650 build? I see the cpu is rated for 100W TDP, it's actually had me reconsidering to use mATX although I really want the smaller footprint offered by mITX. Your advice is appreciated.

Researching the perfect setup for me has been rough because I'm also a big deal hound. I like the Wesena cases but they are a bit pricey. The Antec's look nice too but my concern lies mostly with their ability to support the power needs of the system. Most likely will not be adding an optical drive so looking at cpu, mb, 4gb mem, and small ssd.
You do realize that a 100w TDP CPU is counterproductive as such when it comes to achieving a silent machine?
Orclas Wrote:You do realize that a 100w TDP CPU is counterproductive as such when it comes to achieving a silent machine?

You make this remark because it is difficult to passively cool a chip like this? I've somewhat resigned myself to making my build quiet but not silent. Making it quieter than the junky DVR TWC put in my house shouldn't be hard. So this will be an upgrade for me.

But I do realize what you're saying. Good looking out.
150W is enough for a 100W TDP CPU like the A6-3650...
i still would get the A6-3500 since to me, its all u need for HTPC use!
obelisk79 Wrote:You make this remark because it is difficult to passively cool a chip like this?

Wasn't thinking all the way to passive, but the basics of building a silent computer.

Simply put, cooling = noise, less cooling = less noise.

Simplified and theoretical example:
100w TDP => fan at 12v (and whatever speed)
50w TDP => fan at 7v (= lower speed = less noise)

Above pretty much translatable to a situation when using a fan RPM controller as well, although undervolting is usually preferable.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for some ITX Cooling Advice0