Video Library Export - Single File
I've been sitting here trying to decide if I should file a bug report or a feature suggestion regarding this...

I use the library export function to a single file for a backup when switching between builds quite often - I like my media share as it is currently, with just the media and no nfos/thumbnails/etc, and haven't really tried (and don't want to use) exporting all information to the shares themselves, so I'm unsure how that behaves.
Exporting/importing works perfectly for me and I'm very happy, but...

I have a problem with exporting video information when the title contains the ":" character. Video information is quite happily stored in a large .xml file without issue, the problem is with thumbnails and fanart.

Media files are named "Video_Title_Year[_fanart]".tbn/jpg during the export, which isn't a problem on my linux file system - Not so great on my windows desktop (that isn't running xbmc, just storing the export). Copying over the export folder (exporting to a single 'file' is a lie! Smile) to my desktop exhibits strange behaviour, and copying this export back to a new system results in the loss of thumbnails and fanart for any media with the ":" character in its title.

My workaround is to ssh into my htpc and tar the export folder into an archive (tar -cvf), which is easy to copy about and restore (after un-tarring) irrelevant of file system.
As I don't run xbmc on windows, I'm quite interested to know how the export feature differs, as I can't see how this would work.

Anyway, my suggestion is that the 'Video Library Export - Single File' option does exactly that (and not to a 'single folder'), and the import function is changed to allow the import of this resulting file.

I doubt it's too useful as I suspect that the OS plays little part in this, but I'm running openelec builds on my machines - I'll happily provide any logs or further information if required, but assume(!) that this is reproducible on any system (again, windows?) and only requires media with ":" in the title.
Um, how are we supposed to export thumbs/fanart etc. to a single file? Some zip file or something? You could, ofcourse, just zip it up on your linux machine anyway.

And yes, it's OS-dependent. If you export on a windows machine I think you'll get rid of the : issue, as that's not allowed on win32.

The good (Huh) news is that, in the future, XBMC will not export the thumbs or art anyway, so it'll go back to a single file (yay!)

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear jmarshall...

Yes, I did basically mean that the export is put into a zip/tar/whatever archive.

I have no problem with zipping the exported folder, that works perfectly fine. I was just suggesting it because it's an extra step I need to do if I'm 'backing up my database' and need to move the exported information around on my network (my desktop normally runs windows).

It's certainly not a big issue, but it did take me a little while to realise what was going on with disappearing artwork and other strange side effects (like deleting the export folder over a samba share).

Now I'm not sure I should have asked! xbmc wont be exporting artwork in the future? That doesn't sound so great to me Smile I'll have to do some reading, I'm sure you clever guys are just confusing me and have some other elegant solution!
Actually it does sound great, because the only reason we export art at the moment is we have no idea whether the art came from.

In the future, we'll simply export where the art came from, so later on when you reimport it will either automatically have the art (assuming you don't clear out the art cache) or will just re-grab it from the original sources.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Library Export - Single File0