HTPC running Linux
Hi to all, what do you think about this configuration? I want to view HD video (i don't care about 3D), listen to classical music (Flac) and surf the web (youtube) in a small room (so a an almost silent pc is required).

Case: Silverstone SST-GD06B Grandia (€ 119)
Case Fan: 2 x Noctua 120mm (€ 40)
Mobo: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Socket AM3+ DDR3 SATA2 USB3 uATX (€ 54)
CPU: CPU AMD Athlon II X2 270U Socket AM3 Dual Core 2.0GHz 25W Tray (€ 56)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Shuriken Rev.B Socket Intel Amd (€ 28)
Memory: RAM DDR3 G.Skill ECO F3-10666CL9D-4GBECO 1333MHz 4GB (2x2GB) CL9 1.35v (€ 29)
HD: Corsair 64GB SSD SATAII (€ 0)
GPU: Asus ENGT520 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP) GeForce GT 520 Core 810MHz DDR3 Memory 1200MHz 1GB Low Profile DVI VGA HDMI (€ 43)
CD/DVD: Sony Optiarc AD-5280S 24x DVD/CD Sata (€ 17)
Power Supply: Seasonic X-400 GOLD Modular Fanless (€ 135)

TOT: € 520

thank you
no one? i've no expeirence with such device...
Looks like very silent to me, although I can't comment on these components as I do not have the hands-on experience (except for the GPU, I have a similar one, excellent product, OK with Linux).

In any case, you may want to show your list to an experienced guy in the specialized shop where they sell these items, to get a better idea.

But if Linux is your way to go, you'll be fine! Smile
Might have issues with HD interlaced video but everything else should be fine.
Looks good. Worse case you can just up the CPU later
I've just discovered that unfortunately the Asus Gt520 LP Fanless occupies two slot. And i have one already occupies by the sound card (asus sonar ds 7.1). What is the best nvidia card with low consumption and low noise level (or even fanless)? Thank you
Jetster Wrote:Looks good. Worse case you can just up the CPU later

My second choice was pentium G630t running at 2.30Mhz (35W): a little bit expensive (and the mobo too). Maybe the best choice?
If you do that you can scrap the GPU. Put it in a Streacom FC8 case and you should be able to get it completely quiet, plus the case is tiny. That does mean that you should replace the Power Supply with a picoPSU, but those are cheaper. Overall should be around the same price and completely fanless. It does mean that you have to replace the DVD drive with an Optiarc AD-7640S, it's the only one that fits.

There are also IR receivers available for the streacom cases, but I recommend against those. They work with keyboard and mouse presses and the power on/off button doesn't seem to work correctly. On my system I can't turn my PC on with the supplied remote, but anything I do with my receiver remote does turn it on. Can be rather annoying.
antagon Wrote:If you do that you can scrap the GPU. Put it in a Streacom FC8 case and you should be able to get it completely quiet, plus the case is tiny. That does mean that you should replace the Power Supply with a picoPSU, but those are cheaper. Overall should be around the same price and completely fanless. It does mean that you have to replace the DVD drive with an Optiarc AD-7640S, it's the only one that fits.

There are also IR receivers available for the streacom cases, but I recommend against those. They work with keyboard and mouse presses and the power on/off button doesn't seem to work correctly. On my system I can't turn my PC on with the supplied remote, but anything I do with my receiver remote does turn it on. Can be rather annoying.

I think that the intel graphic HD 2/3000 integrated in the pentium is barely enough for a media center. I prefer something little better and i can't use ATI.
Hi,

I have a simliar system which is powerful enough - even a little bit oversized for a pure HTPC .. I took such "powerful" components 'cause I'd like to use it as a playing console too . and for video encoding in background ..

I would recommend a GT430 silent which is a bit more powerful and a beQuiet 300 / 350W power supply is enough.. costs about 30 € (!) and is unhearable ..

A bluray drive - I got a Liteon für 40 € - is better ..

So long

LastCoder
HTPC Specs: Silverstone GD05B Case, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, i5-3470S, GT1030, 8 GB RAM , 2 TB HDD, iHOS104 BluRay Drive, TT DVBS2-1600, Sony PS3 BD Remote control
PS3 BD Remote Control Daemon for Kodi/Linux
UNCHAINED Demo Group
7ommy Wrote:My second choice was pentium G630t running at 2.30Mhz (35W): a little bit expensive (and the mobo too). Maybe the best choice?

celeron G530 is nearly aquivalent to a pentium G630 (you can compare it at intels website) and cheaper ...
HTPC Specs: Silverstone GD05B Case, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, i5-3470S, GT1030, 8 GB RAM , 2 TB HDD, iHOS104 BluRay Drive, TT DVBS2-1600, Sony PS3 BD Remote control
UNCHAINED Demo Group
7ommy Wrote:I've just discovered that unfortunately the Asus Gt520 LP Fanless occupies two slot. And i have one already occupies by the sound card (asus sonar ds 7.1). What is the best nvidia card with low consumption and low noise level (or even fanless)? Thank you

the Asus GT430 silent occupies only one slot ..

http://www.amazon.de/ENGT430-DC-SL-1GD3-...454&sr=8-4
UNCHAINED Demo Group
LastCoder Wrote:celeron G530 is nearly aquivalent to a pentium G630 (you can compare it at intels website) and cheaper ...

and better than amd athlon II 270u?
LastCoder Wrote:the Asus GT430 silent occupies only one slot ..

http://www.amazon.de/ENGT430-DC-SL-1GD3-...454&sr=8-4

thanks lastcoder, you are the man!
the Athlon II X2 270u has 1400 passmarks, the celeron G530 has 2300 ;-)

check gfx, cpu und hardware bechmarks here:

http://www.passmark.com/index.html

see benchmark section ..

btw. don't buy a silent passive cooled power supply .. as mentioned, be quiet has execellent power supplies ..

so long

Lastcoder
UNCHAINED Demo Group

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC running Linux0