HTPC running Linux
LastCoder Wrote:the Athlon II X2 270u has 1400 passmarks, the celeron G530 has 2300 ;-)

check gfx, cpu und hardware bechmarks here:

http://www.passmark.com/index.html

see benchmark section ..

btw. don't buy a silent passive cooled power supply .. as mentioned, be quiet has execellent power supplies ..

so long

Lastcoder

Thanks lastcoder. i'll go with an Enermax EMD425WT II 425W Modu 82+.

Hope the amd 270u can handle my htpc well, i have already purchased it (with the Asus Gt430).
7ommy Wrote:... in a small room (so a an almost silent pc is required).

If you are in a small room and are sensitive to noise (I'm assuming since you are listening to classical music), the fans are going to drive you nuts. I know people say they have a "silent" pc because their large/slow fans are very quiet - but if you're picky then "quiet" != "silent". If that is you then remember:
Energy use results in heat, which requires cooling, which requires noise. Reduce energy use everywhere you can. Fanless graphics card is great, fanless CPU is better.
I personally use a fanless system powered with an Atom processor. Combined with vdpau hardware decoding it has no problem playing anything up to full-spec bluray, and it does it at 0dB noise - no moving parts! I have never tried to run a browser on it - it would probably be a sluggish experience, though youtube is accelerated so that would playback fine. Gaming would be a nightmare. But if noise is your enemy, eliminating moving parts is the only way to go.
LastCoder Wrote:btw. don't buy a silent passive cooled power supply .. as mentioned, be quiet has execellent power supplies ..
I use a picoPSU, and it's great. No fan, no noise, no worries! I agree that the traditional PSU's with large heatsinks instead of fans are probably a bad idea though, especially at higher wattage.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC running Linux0