Which Platform most stable for XBMC?
Hi:

I'm currently using Boxee but want to give XBMC a try. Which platform does XBMC run smoothest/least problematic on?

Using the Apple OS. won't be an option because I don't like drinking the Apple Kool Aid. But I doubt that it was going to be the answer.

Any advantages/disadvantages to the Linux Vs. Windows Vs. Xbox?

If it meets my needs, I'll be looking for some TV-Dedicated hardware. Any suggestions? Please don't say Alienware, I'm not that green... Hahaha! I was thinking of something small & quiet like a mini-pc which I can hook up to my Qnap-6 Bay NAS.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!
it will run best on whichever os you are mostly capable of operating.
Honestly, I've used them all. I've had it on 4 xboxes, 2 windows, 1 Linux machine and 5 Macs. And the only one that has had the least problems (one issue with a third party plugin that needed an update) has been the Mac version on OS X.

It's the easiest to install, the easiest to update, the easiest to migrate and back up. (one app, one support folder) and the most stable.

But since you aren't inclined to try it, I'd go with the Linux version.

As for hardware, only thing you really need is a video card with built in acceleration support. Right now I have an old AMD 2.1Ghz my friend tossed my way and I put in a Nvidia 210GT fanless that cost me all of $15 bucks with the rebate. It's in a HTB case and boots from a refurb Patriot 32GB SSD that cost me $35. Cooled with one 120 Cooler Master fan. Remote is a Gateway RC6 with USB receiver that came from a old machine with a Tuner card I got for free. Works perfectly out of the box.

It's silent, cheap and plays the highest bitrate 1080p bluray mkv rips with ease. (25+) CPU never goes over 10% load, CPU temps 30-35C, GPU passive video card temps 40-65C. All in a machine that cost me about $50 bucks. Wink
- Blackstar
I run OSX Lion as the base, with Windows 7 running as a VM on VMWare Fusion and XBMCBuntu Beta 3 under VirtualBox under the Win7 VM. The ultimate stability machine utilizing features of all three major operating systems simultaneously.
fryed_1 Wrote:I run OSX Lion as the base, with Windows 7 running as a VM on VMWare Fusion and XBMCBuntu Beta 3 under VirtualBox under the Win7 VM. The ultimate stability machine utilizing features of all three major operating systems simultaneously.

Sounds like a memory hog
What the hell is Apple OS?
fryed_1 Wrote:I run OSX Lion as the base, with Windows 7 running as a VM on VMWare Fusion and XBMCBuntu Beta 3 under VirtualBox under the Win7 VM. The ultimate stability machine utilizing features of all three major operating systems simultaneously.

Yeah, that seems the most intelligent setup to me, nearly as intelligent as efficient. Rolleyes
Windows 7 and XBMC all the way for me and it is as smooth as silk, because I want to enjoy bitstreaming HD audio and streaming Netflix HD!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Sorry Linus/ATV users, gotta agree on Win7 - best driver support for GPUs, bitstreaming, ease of use for everything else.

Been stable and quick, very low learning curve for most users.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Ned Scott Wrote:What the hell is Apple OS?

You know, the opposite of Orange OS:

http://susestudio.com/a/VqZNGe/orange-os-45--2

Wink
- Blackstar
DDDamian Wrote:Sorry Linus/ATV users, gotta agree on Win7 - best driver support for GPUs, bitstreaming, ease of use for everything else.

Been stable and quick, very low learning curve for most users.

amd 6000+ cpu with nv9800gt... cheapo machine and it plays everything I throw at it, including passthrough 5.1/7.1 audio via dvi-hdmi. Runs xbmclive (now eden beta 3 - upgraded not xbmcbuntu).

It's quick, never had a driver problem, quiet and very low OS overhead.
fryed_1 Wrote:amd 6000+ cpu with nv9800gt... cheapo machine and it plays everything I throw at it, including passthrough 5.1/7.1 audio via dvi-hdmi. Runs xbmclive (now eden beta 3 - upgraded not xbmcbuntu).

It's quick, never had a driver problem, quiet and very low OS overhead.
But, can you bitstreaming DTS-HD and TrueHD so your AVR can processing it?
My vote is Windows. I am a Unix admin with lots of Solaris and Linux experience. I started with XBMC on Ubunto and after about 2 months I threw the towel in and went Windows. I could not get stable sound and IR usage. I even tried CentOS and the exact same problems. Linux is great for server software but lacks with desktop needs.

Windows just works with no headaches. If your PC is dedicated to just XBMC keep Windows to a bare minimum of extra installs and its going to be fast and easy to maintain.
Kodi: Shield Pro 2019
Storage: Synology DS2415+, DS1815+
HT: LG 65C9 OLED, Pioneer VSX-LX503
Speakers: ProAc Super Towers/front, ProAc EBT's/rear, Polk S35/center, SVS PB-2000 Subwoofer
gquiring Wrote:If your PC is dedicated to just XBMC keep Windows to a bare minimum of extra installs and its going to be fast and easy to maintain.
+1, for HTPC purpose it is a must!
bluray Wrote:But, can you bitstreaming DTS-HD and TrueHD so your AVR can processing it?

Uhmmm... not an audiophile, but I know I get 7.1 (or 5.1) distinct channels of audio when playing the majority of the HD movies I have (400+) and I don't think anything is wrong with the sound quality.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Platform most stable for XBMC?0