Yes video does stutter but what are the best settings?
I am using the Eden beta 3. It is really hard to set the XBMC playback setting so video is not stuttering. But what is the best setting?
I am using a 2010 Imac 27 2.93GHz Core I7 8GB so I assume I can have stutterfree mkv file playback. Not so easy that is. You look for everything ist it NTSC, is it PAL, may that be the origin of stuttering?
I found this is the best setting so my Epson 5500 Projector plays videos almost smoothly with some minor stutters. I cant find a settings where there are no stutters at all, there seems to be minuscule frame loss.

I really wish there would a real automatic switch that finds what settings make least frame-loss. I am sure this would be possible.

Have you tried turning hardware acceleration and setting the rendering method to Auto? Also try running in true fullscreen as opposed to a fullscreen window.

Making sure your video drivers are the latest and greatest is always a good start as well.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Well on the Imac I always have the latest drivers at least for the Mac. The Screen setting is on full screen not window. I did try just everything, hardware acceleration and auto makes it worse. There are a lot of frames lost in panning scenes. The system should completely be able to run mkv smoothly. With the above at least its 90% OK. Stuttering really drives me crazy that’s quite why I am here and I was here with my 2009 core I5 also, in fact I upgraded the mac back then believing the 2009 Imac could not run .mkv smoothly.
You've got the horsepower alright. Still worth checking out drivers.

You can try to sync to display and use the video clock as a reference.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Sync with video clock does make it slightly better, I have hardware accel turned on and auto on the render method. What is still bad there are vertical sync problems on the upper part of the screen not strong but enough to drive you nuts when you have a perfect 1080p movie.
OK this did the Trick, maybe it will help others and thanks.

Make sure vertical blank sync is always on as well - under system settings > video output, not video settings.
Have that always on yes. Watched a movie with it and quite enjoyed it. Its such a wake up if there is the slightest stuttering. Would really not mind an automated perfection setting.
I can tell you that it's an active area of work for several devs (the timing / sync issues). Not sure there'll ever be an automated method due to the sheer number of hardware/driver/platform combinations, and even ensuring smooth playback of all containers/codecs is difficult, but it's always being worked on Smile
Well if frame loss can be measured I am sure XBMC could try and find the best settings by simple trial and error. It could run and test the settings for a whole movie if it needs to just find me the best settings for MY machine.
Press "o" while a video is playing back to see the number of frames dropped
Have you tried the latest version of PLEX?

I'd be curious if you have any of the same playback issues with the same files. If so, it is either the files themselves, or your machine in some way. (Hardware or software) that is the issue.

Do you get the same playback issues with VLC or Quicktime?
Do you have Perian installed? (video codec pack)
- Blackstar
I'm not sure what the audio rendering options are on mac, but on windows I have to use directX (as opposed to wasapi) output and also *disable* dts & DD capable receiver to get the 'resample audio' video synch method to actually work. I assume there's only one method in osx to render audio so that particular video synch method might not actually work.
I had similar problems with an Epson projector on an i3-540 Clarkdale. The only thing that worked for me was to manually set all of the refresh rates rather than relying upon XBMC.

I basically followed this guide:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Use...3Cvideo.3E

After setting everything manually, it has worked flawlessly.
I tried to install plex because of this but it didn’t even start on Lion with a clean install and every time I mess around with plex I regret it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Yes video does stutter but what are the best settings?0