• 1(current)
Skype videoconferencing integration development
Hi,
Some GUI pics... need to change the title on the top left...

Working now on Call notification sound and contacts Icon...

Video preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2rP7xes0zY

---------------------------------

Hi, All
First I would like to say that XBMC is the best !!! I'm using the PVR version on a HTPC connected to my TV and I love it, You guys are doing excellent work.

At the moment the only thing missing for me is Skype / Gtalk Integration, So I decided to give it a try and integrate Skype / Gtalk into XBMC.

My preference was to go with Gtalk and hopefully with Google Hangout since the protocol is open and cross platform using libjingle and here come the but, at the moment there is no C++ API for Google Hangout and I had a lot of trouble using libjingle with video so I have decided to move to Skype.

Skype released SkypeKit API for C++ and Python with a cross platform runtime that handle all video/audio decoding and encoding, sounds promising.
At first I thought that It can be done using just the Python API and write a plugin, But (again) the problem with the Python API that it doesn't handle Video and what is just not good enough, what the point of having XBMC run on a TV have Skype integration but doing only voice calls so moving on to the Skype C++ API.

Using C++ API I was able to integrate Skype into XBMC and have the option to do a video call.
At the moment I have it running only on Windows DirectX, Since for video calls the API return a pointer of the decoded frame and it was relatively easy to load the frame as a CBaseTexture using LoadFromMemory and display the video using CGUITexture:: DrawQuad (the frame format is XB_FMT_A8R8G8B8).

My development is in alpha (let say extremely alpha).

At the moment I'm working on the following:
1. Improve user interface.
2. Trying to understand if it's possible to release a version of XBMC with this Skype integration, I still need to understand the SkypeKit Distribution Terms.

Does anyone want to join in ?

Amit
Interesting - good work! Will point it out to some devs. Do you have a Github branch?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Thanks,
I still need to workout the Distribution Terms, I don't want to do something that will upset Skype, I know that http://www.trillian.im/ has integrated Skype into their client using the SkypeKIT API...

Could someone point me how to render the frame on other platforms so I can make this cross platform, Couldn't find an easy way to render the frame expect for DirectX.

Amit
Having Skype within XBMC would be a really nice feature Big Grin Can't wait for something to be released for testing. Good luck with your project!
This is a feature I have always felt is missing! Thanks. Good luck! I will be following.
Personally Created Stock Footage and Animated Videos for Backgrounds or Screensavers
100+ video files can all be found on my blog: Beachfront B-Roll. All are free.
The clips are a simple "Right click, save" and there is no signup or registering required either.
you should get inspiration from TelyHD for the GUI!
Looks really good.
this looks awesome. I want it! hope it can work on other platforms amd not just windows. plssssss.

keep us updated on ur progress
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
Note that if you're using LoadFromMemory then as far as the video goes at least it should be cross-platform, assuming the skype API returns the same thing across the board (ARGB 32bit or whatever).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

This is great news! I posted this awhile back asking for google video / hangout capability. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=118635

I really hope you're able to figure out the google side of things since nobody I know uses skype anymore. Keep up the great work!
thegamesdb.net - An open video games database.
scottbrant.net - Blog
Hi all,

10x for the feedback, nice to see I'm not the only one thinking that this will be a great feature.

Just so you know I'm still trying my luck with GTalk and Google Hangout, It's seams that the libjingle is under heavy development at the moment and the document are out of date, they have integrated WebRTC as a Video and Voice engine and I couldn't make it work at the moment... But I will keep on trying.

For Skype at the moment I'm working on:
1. Improving the GUI
2. Sound notifications
3. In coming call Dialog

I'm trying to implement that when a call is coming if a video is playing it will pause the video and let you deiced to answer the call or not, on DND all in coming call will be ignored.

I'm still debating if chat is needed... what do you think ?

and a questions to XBMC devs:
1. What will be the best method to save profile image ?

10x Amit
i dont think chat is needed. i rather you spend your efforts in getting the video working flawlessly and maybe then gtalk. just my opinion.

would this work as an addon for xbmc? ora special build? hope its an addon so that it can be easily updated and changed if needed.

thanks for your work and looking forward to using it.
I think chat would be nice, but not the primary focus. The whole point of having this feature included is for people to interact with others without having to leave the media center experience and without needing a keyboard or mouse. Maybe add the option to enable chat after everything else is running well.

I hope this is developed as an add-on also. That will make for much easier updating, and a much broader userbase.
thegamesdb.net - An open video games database.
scottbrant.net - Blog
you might want to open a thread in the dev script and addon section of the forum incase any other dev wants to jump on to help or you have questions. just a suggestion.
I agree chat feature should be secondary focus. Having Skype within XBMC would (in my opinion) bump it to a whole new level. I tend to turn on XBMC as soon as I get home and keep it running 'til bed time and being able to recieve a call from a friend overseas etc. without having to use a secondary computer would totally rock!

Following this one with total excitement Big Grin
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skype videoconferencing integration development6