Losing HDMI Signal
Hi there

I have just cobbled together an HTPC using an old dell optiplex 755 SFF with a Radeon HD5450 graphics card. I am running windows 7 with the latest video card drivers

It runs xbmc swiftly but every so often when playing a video the entire screen turns green and only reverts back to normal when unplugging the hdmi cable and reinserting it.
If i close xbmc windows desktop also has this green tinge to it.

It seems like the HDMI handshake isnt working properly. I have tried running the pc without the lid in case it was excess heat but that doesnt seem to make a difference

Any help gratefully received Huh
Bad HDMI cable? Not sure what you're connected to but check into EDID overrides as well. Finally is the end device (receiver?) firmware updateable?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Its connected to a Phillips 7404 LCD panel which accepts my sky HD signal over HDMI. I have tried two different HDMI cables (albeit same brand) with the same problem. The signal is fine for about 20 mins then gets corrupt. The catalyst control panel recognises the 7404 as a specific monitor rather than generic panel

What is an EDID override?
Ok i found this on the web which i will try - i've copied it below in case anyone else comes across this too

In ATI CCC the pixel format needs to be changed from the default YCbCr 4:4:4 to RGB 4:4:4. Then restart your computer and all works fine.

This is however an issue, that either ATI or Philips should do something about, as there are tens of users with this problem. I can't imagine either that someone with only limited IT knowledge could ever solve this problem.

The root cause of this problem seems to be that CCC uses as a default YCbCr 4:4:4 and Philips TVConfused do not support this. In CCC on the Pixel format tab it basically indicates that the device supports all these four pixel formats. So is the Philips communicating wrong information or either end does not actually support YCbCr correctly? So the only options in CCC should be RGB 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 and no one would have this problem
Good catch Chuck. There's a good program called MonInfo that reports the HDMI handshake info regarding supported modes and other goodies.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Chuck Bartowski Wrote:What is an EDID override?

Basically overrides bad information sent by devices as part of the HDMI handshake issue. Google it for your device.
hi Chuck Bartowski, nice catch there.

i ran around a similar issue when i bought my ATI GPU,
upon booting windows, it would flash pink for a sec,
see video (not mine) --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2Bx8fTybyM

ANswer is, its an issue with ATI drivers and some HDTV's like my SAMSUNG...

playing with ATI CCC's pixel format fixed the pink screen issue but,
colors looked bad overall...

so in the end, i reverted back to default pixel settings in ATI CCC,
and just deal with the pink screen..
Thanks Guys for the help Big Grin

I'd also read that sometimes Windows 7 doesnt like 1.3b HDMI cables which mine was so i tried it with a 1.4 - same result. 20 mins in or so and the image gets corrupted

I then changed the pixel format to RGB 4:4:4 full depth - watched at least an hour and a half with no probs.

Fingers crossed Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Losing HDMI Signal0