[AppleTV1] How can I put crystalbuntu into standby mode
Hi I set my ATV1+Crystal HD+crystalbuntu last night. Everything is working perfectly except

1) I cannot put crystalbuntu into standby mode. Do you leave your ATV1 on all the time. I think it is quite hot if it is up 24/7. Or is there anyway you can power it on/off apart from taking power cable off every time

2) Apple Remote plays up sometimes. Will have to reboot the box to bring it back to work

Cheers

RW
ATV1 remain ON all the time, and it will feel hot to the touch.
I would suggest to look into Crystalbuntu or "How to install Linux on Apple Tv1".
This doesnt make it shutdown or sleep but it does have CPU throttling so when the unit isnt busy (running at 1Ghz - hot) it will drop down to 800Mhz or 600Mhz (feels so much cooler). Plus XBMC runs so much smoother on ATV/Linux than it does on ATV/OSX.

As far as remotes, I had similar problem. I replaced battery and it resolve the issue.

Not sure if this helps you but.......
The top will always seem hot because it doubles as the heatsink for both the CPU and GPU. It won't really hurt anything (outside of normal wear and tear).

For my ATV1 I use a powerstrip for both it and the TV, just to save power (not that it uses a lot. About 60 watts max). If you do this, just remember to select shutdown/power off in XBMC before throwing the off switch. You don't want to accidentally power down while files are being written.
I have atv1 running Ubuntu 11.10 as a server ... With a powered USB and 2 USB hdd's running...
Kill-a-watt shows all them using 41 watts

Less than a light bulb
14W when spun down doing nothing.

At UK prices that's about: 14 * 24 / 1000 * 10. 3.36p a day.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV1] How can I put crystalbuntu into standby mode0