NAS question
I have my newly built Windows WHS box open in my den for testing purposes of my media. I'm keeping all my files on my main computer while I test. If I find it to not be stable, I've had enough and will probably go the way of a real NAS. However, I have questions. What exactly is a NAS? When I look at Newegg it lists all these "diskless" NAS's. Is it basically just a computer with an OS and I plug in my own drives? Since I have 5x 3TB drives, would I look for a NAS that can hold at least 5 drives and then just plug in my drives when I get it? Do they run proprietary OS's or does the user install Windows server or whatever on them?

EDIT: Would I be looking for something like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6822122064

I would just get it and plug in my 5 drives? Do you install an OS or what? Sorry for the noob questions!
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
NAS just means network attached storage.

Some are just computers running a specialized OS like WHS, unRaid, FreeRaid, etc..
Others (like the one you linked) have their own OS, and are more of a "utility" box like a router than a computer.

Either way, you'll add your own drives...

Whether you want a simple one like the one linked, or a custom built server running a special version of Linux depends on your needs...

Personally, I love unRaid, because of the way you can mix and match drives while still having parity protection (which has really saved my ass a couple of times!) as well as running SABnzbd/couchpotato/sickbeard...
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
If you want something just for storage, you can either add HDDs to your existing case or you can buy a 3,4,5,etc... bay external case. Then you plug it directly to your computer/server. These are much cheaper then a NAS.

For simple and cheap application, either use a NAS or a server, but not both.
If you deside to go oem built nas i can recommend you to look at Qnap and Synology. Both have top of the line products. Do some reading on smallnetworkbuilders nas section.

Me i have never looked back to my bulding/config time consuming do it yourself days.
---------------------------------------------------
Intel NUC Haswell D34010WYK | ATV2 | Logitech Harmony One | Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver | QNAP 809 | APC Back-UPS RS 550
Yeah I saw a lot of Synology at Newegg. I kind of knew what NAS was but I didn't understand if it was a computer or what. So most have their own built in OS and I just access settings, shares, etc. through a web browser like I do for a network router? I don't mind spending the money if my data is safe and I don't have to spend weeks setting it up. I spent some time with unRAID and had NO fun. I had to Google a ton and enter CLI comands all over the place. When I finally got done with that it was estimating like 3 days to prep my drives. The first time it froze and I had to start all over. The 2nd time I waited a day and a half and it was at like 33%, so unRAID went on the shelf. I tried FlexRAID and was trying to get a little help and the forums weren't very active and the author was working on a new project, so I dumped that. I am now onto DrivePool which is an EXCELLENT plug in for WHS. Very easy install and adding of drives to the pool. However, files are copying over at about 7-8 MB/s. Plus I got up this morning and the server was unresponsive. That might have been because I started Windows Update, I don't know. So, I am slightly concerned about the stability of my current hardware. This is why I am about to say f*ck it and just order a NAS with enough space to hold my drives. If I get home today and my relatively small number of files haven't copied or if the server is frozen again, it's going in a basement closet and I'm ordering the NAS. I just wanted to make sure I fully understood how they worked.

EDIT: Looks like the Synology ones only have 4 bays, so I can use all of my 5 drives. However, this 4 bay unit's picture to me shows 5 drives in it. Am I missing something?
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
Are you sure you're using a gigabit router/switch?

I wouldn't give up so easily.
If you have more money than time, there's always the Drobo...
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
What's the "Drobo"? And yes, I am using an Apple Time capsule which is gigabit.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS question0