Switch display screens with single remote press.
I have my XBMC box connected to a projector and to a small monitor. (Each with different max resolutions so I can't merely change display via OS)

At the moment if I start music playing wile the projector display is being used there is no way to switch to monitor display without either:

a) entering the XBMC system settings menu
b) Closing and re-opening XBMC (with help from .bat scripts and Eventghost)

Both these options are far less than ideal.

I just want to be able to switch between displays with the music left playing.

One simple solution would be to program a remote keypress to switch profiles. However that would require the patch mentioned in this thread to be implemented. (Direct link to patch)

Is anyone able to shed any light on this problem - either via the profile method or another way?

Thanks!
The only way I found as you said is to restart xbmc on the screen i need using eventghost and a batch file that change the advancedsettings.xml before launching xbmc.
I've tryed loading 2 different profiles but it didn't work as i wanted, btw I'll try adding that patch and compile compile xbmc and see what it does.
Just give me some time to try it out....
XBMC Italian translator, Movieplayer.it scrapers developer and the old "The Orbs" skin creator.
KoTiX Wrote:I've tryed loading 2 different profiles but it didn't work as i wanted, btw I'll try adding that patch and compile compile xbmc and see what it does.
Just give me some time to try it out....

Sounds great...thanks so much. If the patch does what it says it will do then it could be an elegant solution Smile
I have compiled the xbmc.exe with the patch but i didn't have the time to test it yet. It's an Eden xbmc based on the version for the usb-cec adapter (http://packages.pulse-eight.net/) but it shouldn't be problem for you anyway.

Here is the patched XBMC.exe, let me know if it works or you have troubles.
Cheers Smile
XBMC Italian translator, Movieplayer.it scrapers developer and the old "The Orbs" skin creator.
I've tested it a little and i can say that the patch does what it's made for (load a profile without returning to home screen), but it doesn't switch the screenmode or the resolution, as they are changed just at xbmc startup.
Sad
We need a dev to make on this feature.
Looks like you're on Windows since you mention .bat and EventGhost. XBMC Eden on Windows now reacts correctly when moved by a third-party program or Win 7 new shortcut keys, and goes back to fullscreen when moved to a new screen.

I'm not very familiar with EventGhost but it may be able to move windows, and moving the XBMC from screen to screen should be enough to do what you want. Or find another program that can move XBMC's window.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
CrystalP Wrote:Looks like you're on Windows since you mention .bat and EventGhost. XBMC Eden on Windows now reacts correctly when moved by a third-party program or Win 7 new shortcut keys, and goes back to fullscreen when moved to a new screen.

I'm not very familiar with EventGhost but it may be able to move windows, and moving the XBMC from screen to screen should be enough to do what you want. Or find another program that can move XBMC's window.

Cool...even if the two screens have different resolutions? hat sounds very promising...can't wait to try it out when I get home in a couple of days Smile
Yup. That's what's new in Eden.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
I don't know if the win 7 shortcus or an external app will solve all the problems.. let me explain my situation:

I personally use xbmc on my tv connected with hdmi on secondary out, while on primary out there is a vga monitor, the pc and the tv are in different rooms and i normally use xbmc with an old xbox ir remote.
I setup xbmc to start directly on the tv using a bat script that replace the advanced settings.xml and it's working great but when i switch the tv from the HDMI to a TV channel, xbmc doesn't see the hdmi connection anymore and it automatically switch back on the pc primary display and this is not really a problem , my problem is to bring back xbmc on the tv again after i switch on the hdmi port.

If I 'll use the shortcut keys, I'll have first to get focus on the xbmc window right?
I could use an external app maybe... but would it be more easy to have just a builin function that switch the display like the "\" key does for the windowed mode?
I also bought a USB-Cec adapter hoping that it would help me automatize the procedure but i got no luck with it either Sad

I really hope sombody will find a nice solution to switch display easily with a remote button.
Just a small update on this:
eventghost doesn't send the keystrokes Win+Shift+Right to move xbmc on the other display, maybe there is a bug in eventghost, so i'll need an external app to do it Sad
That function is not in the cards for Eden. EventGhost seems to have a function to move a Window, which should help you.
The problem comes from the TV doing something weird when switching input though. I think some people use a DVI-detective, a dvi repeater, or something like that to work around. There are a bunch of threads in our forums.
Thank you CristalP, moving the window in eventghost has finally worked!
I too have got my one-remote-press solution working with EG's "move absolute" window action. Delighted to have finally reached this long-standing holy-grail! Thanks for the heads up CristalP Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Switch display screens with single remote press.1