Configuring XBMCbuntu - Linux newbie needs help
Hi,
sorry, this question may sound dumb to people who are used to Linux, but I am completely new with Linux..

I am trying to set up a xbmc media center on an older laptop.
For this purpose I think XBMCbuntu could be perfect.

I have tried it (XBMCbuntu 11.0 beta 3) and playing music / video etc. is working without any problems.

But now I am stuck at configuring my wireless connection. i cannot use LAN with cable.
The laptop has an intel wireless pro 2200bg chip.
I have searched the internet for hours but haven't found anything helpful about setting up the wifi connection in XBMCbuntu.
I have tried to exit the XBMC screen and came to a ubuntu login screen, but I was not able to login. I tried xbmc as username and password but it says "incorrect password".

Can anybody give me instructions (for a linux newbie!) how to set up / activate my wifi connection? Do I eventually have to install an additional driver, if yes, how to get it without a working internet connection? How can I get to the underlying Ubuntu UI (if there is any)?

Any help is appreciated
mabi
Switch into the Ubuntu desktop. I'm not entirely sure how this is done on XBMCbuntu, but on mine (Ubuntu + XBMC standalone) I just switch the session on the login screen (along the bottom bar after a user is selected) from "XBMC" to "Ubuntu Desktop".

Once you get in, go to System > Administration > Additional Drivers and see if there are drivers for a wireless card listed there.
HTPC 1 - Zotac ZBOX ID80U | 4GB RAM | 64GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
HTPC 2 - Zotac ZBOX ID41U | 4GB RAM | 60GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
Server - unRAID Server | 3 x 2TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD Black HDD (Cache) | Sabnzbd | CouchPotato | Sickbeard
you need to have the user name and password. Re-install and take a note of the user & pwd.
What you're looking for is wicd-curses. That is the easiest way to deal with wireless via the command line.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=81858

If you go to that thread, you want to follow the Terminal, Packages, & Configure headings. The rest of it doesn't apply. Essentially...

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install wicd-curses

And then follow the instructions for configuring in the thread I linked...

Good luck!
The username and password is what you entered when you installed XBMCubuntu...
Thanks, the wifi problem is solved.
I was running XBMCbuntu from the CD without installing it to the HDD.

Now, after installing it to the harddrive the wireless connection was working out of the box, without changing any configuration.

But now I have another problem with the screen resolution on the VGA output where my TV is connected. The behaviour is similar to the one described here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=123509
Unfortunately I cannot get it fixed with xrandr commands because no matter which command I try to execute with xrandr it always says "can't open display". Also I didn't find out how to create the ~/xprofile file
Also new to LINUX.

I was going to try the new version but a bit confused about the option to load to HDD. Does this mean on a UBUNTU only machine or can I dual boot with W7?

I looked at WUBI but not sure that is appropriate or not.

Cheers

Alan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Configuring XBMCbuntu - Linux newbie needs help0